Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Fresno State

On 1/21/2023 at 5:30 PM, Ernie Baer said:

Yep, schedule like that does absolutely nothing to prepare you for conference play.  

Two thoughts on the non-conference schedule

1) it was intentionally weak & easy to pile up some wins & create some buzz around a moribund program

2) it was a combo of 1 & knowing that without a weak NC schedule this UNLV team was a single digit win team 

The program is up against a wall as far as fan support & with every new pro team that come in, the UNLV brand fades into the background -- This loss & being last place in the MWC just imploded any hope of marginal attendance from here on -- UNLV might as well start giving tickets away at this point to see if anyone bothers to show up  

On 1/21/2023 at 8:38 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Two thoughts on the non-conference schedule

1) it was intentionally weak & easy to pile up some wins & create some buzz around a moribund program

2) it was a combo of 1 & knowing that without a weak NC schedule this UNLV team was a single digit win team 

The program is up against a wall as far as fan support & with every new pro team that come in, the UNLV brand fades into the background -- This loss & being last place in the MWC just imploded any hope of marginal attendance from here on -- UNLV might as well start giving tickets away at this point to see if anyone bothers to show up  

Fair points.  I wouldn't even mind if a coach in season one puts together a weaker schedule to try and build some confidence with what they are trying to implement.  After season one, the pressure begins mounting.  Whatever little buzz the soft schedule generated has now completely evaporated now that the competition level picked up and they are 1-6 in conference.  

On 1/21/2023 at 5:41 PM, Ernie Baer said:

Fair points.  I wouldn't even mind if a coach in season one puts together a weaker schedule to try and build some confidence with what they are trying to implement.  After season one, the pressure begins mounting.  Whatever little buzz the soft schedule generated has now completely evaporated now that the competition level picked up and they are 1-6 in conference.  

There's a strategy to putting together a schedule - With Kruger being new & the roster turnover, I can see why the AD/Staff went along the weak schedule strategy --- I mean it worked. UNLV jumped out to 10-0 & even got some T25 votes, there was some buzz............but the downside is a collapse like this just makes the 10-0 opening that more subject to scrutiny .........if UNLV was 4-3 in the MWC the schedule might not be questioned as much.

This right now looks like a program reeling & rudderless - and the KK coaching moves with playing time are the reason 

On 1/21/2023 at 5:42 PM, FredHaygood said:

Looking like another season with no post season play.

On 1/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, B_Lootz said:

Oh yeah. I’ll honestly be shocked if we turn it around and make it to the NIT

LOL!!! Can't believe it's still being mentioned as a possibility! We'd probably have to finish 8-3 just to get CBI consideration.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

I hate to say this, because I'm not a CKK hater. But about 90% of this collapse has been somewhat predictable, because KK has been so predictable.

He has not adjusted the offense or defense at all. Team is running the same time wasting weave and every player, coach and fan knows that UNLV will allow any team to get switches at the top. Every team has taken advantage of that getting a big on a small or a big checking a guard at the top of the key. Matt Bradely, Funk, Stevenson, and today.

All KK has to do is mix in a straight man sometimes. So teams wont automatically get the switch they want and wont always know when a trap is coming. Its just way too predictable and it's obvious by the shooting %'s, that mwc coaches have drilled their teams how to get the switches they want and to draw out the traps and hit guys in their sweet spots play after play.

I called this out around the 5th or 6th game. Here we are going into the 20th game and not a single adjustment.

That is the real problem. The scheme worked beautifully for the first 10 games. After that the scout is in, maybe before that depending on the caliber of the coaches and program you're going against.

This is a CKK problem, again I hate to say it, not a schedule problem. The teams UNLV is getting worked by right now aren't any better than a lot of the W's in the noncon.

On 1/21/2023 at 5:52 PM, qwelish said:

This is a CKK problem, again I hate to say it, not a schedule problem. The teams UNLV is getting worked by right now aren't any better than a lot of the W's in the noncon.

I wasn't a proponent of the weak OOC but that is 1000% true. Teams have clearly adjusted to our switching scheme but why hasn't it been the other way around? The fact that everyone is exposing our weaknesses but we are not exposing theirs (quite the opposite actually) alludes to weak coaching, unfortunately.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 1/21/2023 at 5:56 PM, UNLV2001 said:

This looks like some signs of the stress of the situation showing --- UNLV is 10th/11th place with a team & staff that seems to have no clue as to how to end this nosedive 

On 1/21/2023 at 5:47 PM, UNLV2001 said:

There's a strategy to putting together a schedule - With Kruger being new & the roster turnover, I can see why the AD/Staff went along the weak schedule strategy --- I mean it worked. UNLV jumped out to 10-0 & even got some T25 votes, there was some buzz............but the downside is a collapse like this just makes the 10-0 opening that more subject to scrutiny .........if UNLV was 4-3 in the MWC the schedule might not be questioned as much.

This right now looks like a program reeling & rudderless - and the KK coaching moves with playing time are the reason 

Schedule, Smedule.

Dutch, Hut, Leon and Miles have all taken KK to school.

Kk better get his guys and his stuff right before he even thinks about stepping up the schedule. 

If anyone as noticed........this loss has sapped what optimism I had left that UNLV might get close to .500 in MWC play..........now I'm not sure if UNLV can or will finish better than 10th place 

1-7 now with 11 games remaining .......can only see maybe 4 or 5 wins available & that would be if UNLV can fix many of the issues that have come up 

It's now getting to the point where the mindset of the entire team comes into question.......if the players fracture, then 4 wins the rest of the way would be miraculous -- these recent sub patterns have to be playing on guys minds....especially the guys who've been cut to minimal minutes