Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Rank Em

On 1/19/2023 at 1:08 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

AF may have caught Wyo at a good time but the Falcons defeated CSU in Fort Collins in OT last week by almost the identical amount that the Aztecs won in OT at Fort Collins last night. Beating CSU and AF back to back has never been easy for SDSU so if they can accomplish that Saturday night, THEN I'll start being a believer.

Justin Hutson: Can't possibly have more than two months left at Fresno State. Particularly because his wife is still the women's coach at SDSU, it wouldn't surprise me that if Hutson is canned that Dutch doesn't hire him to replace Chris Acker who has been doing a poor job of being in charge of the SDSU offense.

IMO Acker has done a legit job getting our defense back on point after Hut's departure, a claim I think is fairly well substantiated by our Kenpom AdD rankings over the past few years. There have been a few games this season where we're allowing WAY too much penetration off the dribble or letting guys get open looks behind the arc but I have to believe the staff is also well-aware of this and working on it.

We know they all can lock guys up on D... the question is why are they having a hard time right now. And I'm guessing some credit should probably go to Nico, Pitino, et al, for scouting us and finding a way to exploit whatever chinks in our armor they may have found.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, kingpotato said:

SDSU already down one losing to UNM at home. This is a really deep league. It wouldn't be too surprising if the winner has more than 4 losses. Boise's two one off games are Fresno and Air Force. That's good for NET ranking but not as good for conference standings.

Agree, both teams are playing really well right now.

It will be a fun conference race, but I don't see any team right now winning a game in the Tourney.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:57 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

It will be a fun conference race, but I don't see any team right now winning a game in the Tourney.

It'll come down to matchups. But, yeah, every team has their warts.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

That will be fine with most MW fans. A good season to them is predicated solely on getting four teams IN.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:28 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

That will be fine with most MW fans. A good season to them is predicated solely on getting four teams IN.

More chances to get lucky, I guess.  I don't really know what it is about the MW and how we can't even get one team past the S16.  I know the Aztecs issue is our tradition of scoring droughts, and ice cold 3-point shooting.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:36 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

More chances to get lucky, I guess.  I don't really know what it is about the MW and how we can't even get one team past the S16.  I know the Aztecs issue is our tradition of scoring droughts, and ice cold 3-point shooting.

Maybe you could show me a few of them scoring droughts and some 'ice cold 3-point shooting' tomorrow night?  GO FALCONS 

..GO FALCONS..

On 1/20/2023 at 12:39 PM, ltcpilot said:

Maybe you could show me a few of them scoring droughts and some 'ice cold 3-point shooting' tomorrow night?  GO FALCONS 

I can guarantee you will not need any favor there.  I predict at least two droughts of at least 3:30 for scoring in general, and one 5 minute drought on FG.  3 point shooting is always a toss up.  

On 1/20/2023 at 11:39 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

IMO Acker has done a legit job getting our defense back on point after Hut's departure, a claim I think is fairly well substantiated by our Kenpom AdD rankings over the past few years. There have been a few games this season where we're allowing WAY too much penetration off the dribble or letting guys get one looks behind the arc but I have to believe the staff is also well-aware of this and working on it.

We know they all can lock guys up on D... the question is why are they having a hard time right now. And I'm guessing some credit should probably go to Nico, Pitino, et al, for scouting us and finding a way to exploit whatever chinks in our armor they may have found.

Based on what I saw on Wednesday, I think the veterans that have been in the program are lockup types of defenders. Butler, Mensah, Arop, Seiko, Johnson are all really tough. I don’t think the newer players like Trammell, Ledee, Parrish are at that level and their breakdowns are more common. Part of that is probably a result of inexperience against opponents halfcourt sets that might be a bit more complicated than what they’re used to. I know that the first year players at CSU really struggled defending Air Force.

I've never really understood this way of thinking. Literally every year there is a surprise team or two in the dance that no one saw coming.

Two years ago, Oral Roberts was 11-10 in February. Then, they got hot, won their conference tournament, and beat Ohio State and Florida to go to the Sweet Sixteen. Damn near beat Arkansas to go to the Elite Eight. If anyone had suggested they'd be 3 points away from playing for a Final Four, they would have been laughed out of the room.

MWC sucks in March, but one of these days one of our teams is going to pop off in the tourney.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Not me. I've had my fill of regular season success over the years. It's all about March at this point.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:49 PM, TopLobo said:

I've never really understood this way of thinking. Literally every year there is a surprise team or two in the dance that no one saw coming.

Two years ago, Oral Roberts was 11-10 in February. Then, they got hot, won their conference tournament, and beat Ohio State and Florida to go to the Sweet Sixteen. Damn near beat Arkansas to go to the Elite Eight. If anyone had suggested they'd be 3 points away from playing for a Final Four, they would have been laughed out of the room.

MWC sucks in March, but one of these days one of our teams is going to pop off in the tourney.

Yeah, but it's "literally" never a team from the Mountain West. That despite how high so many of our RPIs or NETs are.

I'm not going to bother researching it but my suspicion is that some of those surprise teams are built in the manner that Mike Leach once said Dennis Franchione and a few others made their football coaching career. That is, basically throw away a couple years in order to simultaneously redshirt as many of your best recruits as possible so that their senior years coincide and then shock people into thinking you're a great coach and then grab the best offer you get and go elsewhere.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:49 PM, TopLobo said:

You made my point, no one saw Oral Robert's winning in the Tourney, they just did it.  I see no team in our conference being a team that can make a run right now.  We are hoping.  I can hope AFA wins the conference tourney and wins in the Tourney.  Does that make it so that I can't  have doubts on a MWC team being a favorite to win NCAAT games as of now?  Especially given our history?

On 1/19/2023 at 2:08 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

AF may have caught Wyo at a good time but the Falcons defeated CSU in Fort Collins in OT last week by almost the identical amount that the Aztecs won in OT at Fort Collins last night. Beating CSU and AF back to back has never been easy for SDSU so if they can accomplish that Saturday night, THEN I'll start being a believer.

Justin Hutson: Can't possibly have more than two months left at Fresno State. Particularly because his wife is still the women's coach at SDSU, it wouldn't surprise me that if Hutson is canned that Dutch doesn't hire him to replace Chris Acker who has been doing a poor job of being in charge of the SDSU offense.

Isn't Fresnos problem the lack of offense and an inability to recruit ?

Won't he bring those issues with him ?

Plus, him being home with his wife will be a distraction for her.

The biggest problem for the Aztec program the last three years has been the offense going into sleep mode for stretches within a game.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Since I don't care about any SDSU sports except football and men's hoops and to a far lesser extent baseball and softball, I don't care whether Hut's being back at SDSU would negatively impact Stacy's coaching. (Not that it would anyway.)

Hut was a very good recruiter at SDSU. The fact he maybe hasn't recruited as well at Fresno is attributable to the facts that isn't a basketball school nor does California's Central Valley exactly have a wealth of HS basketball talent.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Since I don't care about any SDSU sports except football and men's hoops and to a far lesser extent baseball and softball, I don't care whether Hut's being back at SDSU would negatively impact Stacy's coaching. (Not that it would anyway.)

Hut was a very good recruiter at SDSU. The fact he maybe hasn't recruited as well at Fresno is attributable to the facts that isn't a basketball school nor does California's Central Valley exactly have a wealth of HS basketball talent.

...and who would want to live there?

On 1/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Sorry you missed the sarcasm of my post. 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

I could actually see any combination of Boise, UNM, or SDSU winning a game or even two. Obviously it depends on individual match-ups. Aztecs can grind teams down defensively and win those ugly low scoring 64-58 type games that are common early in the tourney. UNM can score the ball in multiple ways with multiple players. Front court depth and wing length size is a concern. Boise has shooters, size, and can grind defensively. Out of those three, honestly, I think Boise is probably the best equipped for tourney play, but so much is matchups and a bit of luck.