Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

WTF no SDSU vs CSU game thread

On 1/19/2023 at 5:57 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

They’re spoiled. Great program, dumb group of fans. 

Is there a homer board that’s not embarrassing? That one certainly is. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 1/19/2023 at 7:06 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't think I've seen any message board, this one included, where a game thread isn't filled with dumb takes and little knowledge or actual insight.

One thing that struck me last night was a foul called against Mensah with about a minute left in OT. He jumped straight up and his arms were straight up. The Ram guard went for a layup and clearly initiated the contact. What exactly was Mensah supposed to do?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 1/19/2023 at 8:13 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

One thing that struck me last night was a foul called against Mensah with about a minute left. He jumped straight up and his arms were straight up. The Ram guard went for a layup and clearly initiated the contact. What exactly was Mensah supposed to do?

I thought Mensah's left arm went down, but may be wrong. The review didn't have a good angle

On 1/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I thought Mensah's left arm went down, but may be wrong. The review didn't have a good angle

Yeah, marginal call for sure. Mensah s arm did go down but I really didn’t see any contact. And I had a pretty good angle from my seat.

the foul they missed was Butler on Stevens game tying layup with 5 seconds to go.

Oh well, things tend to even out over the course of the game. The game was for the taking by CSU if they weren’t so casual with the ball. Obviously it was driven bY SDSU’s aggressive defense but somehow Isaiah Stevens was able to handle it to the tune of 11 assists against only 1 turnover. CSU frosh Tavi Jackson has been good with the ball until last night.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:37 PM, soupslam1 said:

It’s amazing to me the size the Aztecs have upfront with Mensah, Johnson and Ledee,  and they don’t get much scoring from those guys. Instead they rely on scoring from Bradley and the guards and when those guys are off their offense grinds to a halt.

I think the Aztec offense would be a lot more efficient if they got their bigs a lot more involved in posting up and scoring. It would help get easier shots for their guards. Right now defenses are concentrating on stopping Bradley, Trammel, and Butler. The Aztecs aren’t helping matters by setting picks up high with their bigs, but not feeding the bigs on the rolls to the basket. The guards are a black hole, in particular Bradley. 

On 1/18/2023 at 8:37 PM, soupslam1 said:

CSUs smaller quicker team giving the Aztecs problems in the first half

Bingo.

BoredOnTheBlue mistakes Aztec basketball with Aztec football. In the latter sport, our coaching staff rarely makes useful halftime adjustments. However, the opposite is the case with basketball.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:37 PM, soupslam1 said:

It’s amazing to me the size the Aztecs have upfront with Mensah, Johnson and Ledee,  and they don’t get much scoring from those guys. Instead they rely on scoring from Bradley and the guards and when those guys are off their offense grinds to a halt.

Bradley can shoot you in or out of a game. It is what it is and if he was to get hot for a weekend, this team could go to the Sweet 16. OTOH, if he's as cold in the first game of the dance as he was last night, they could get beat by the champion of a podunk league from the Midwest who comes in 17-15 on the year.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:37 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Bingo.

BoredOnTheBlue mistakes Aztec basketball with Aztec football. In the latter sport, our coaching staff rarely makes useful halftime adjustments. However, the opposite is the case with basketball.

On ball D was much more aggressive after halftime.  Turned it around for sure.    Positional D was played in the first half, maybe a preservation tactic at altitude.  Save it for the second half maybe.   Either it was a plan all along or a solid half time adjustment but it worked as planned.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:58 PM, roughrider said:

On ball D was much more aggressive after halftime.  Turned it around for sure.    Positional D was played in the first half, maybe a preservation tactic at altitude.  Save it for the second half maybe.   Either it was a plan all along or a solid half time adjustment but it worked as planned.

Smaller lineup as well. Arop at the 5 instead of Mensah or Ledee. Parrish, Bradley, Seiko, and Butler the other 4. Aztecs have such good depth that they can do those things. CSU struggled to counter because freshman PG Tavi Jackson didn’t handle it as well as would have been expected. I’ll also add that the elbow that CSUs Isaiah Rivera took to the face changed things too. Bradley was 0-6 with Rivera as the primary defender prior to that. After the game, Rivera told me he thought his nose was broken.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, soupslam1 said:

I think the Aztec offense would be a lot more efficient if they got their bigs a lot more involved in posting up and scoring. It would help get easier shots for their guards. Right now defenses are concentrating on stopping Bradley, Trammel, and Butler. The Aztecs aren’t helping matters by setting picks up high with their bigs, but not feeding the bigs on the rolls to the basket. The guards are a black hole, in particular Bradley. 

Nate has never had much of a post game.  He has zero moves to his his right hand,  Gets most of his points on put backs and free throws.  Lately he's developed a little bit of a jump shot from 12' in. LeDee has been a bust for the most part but he's starting to put somewhat of a game together.  We'll se how he progresses.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 1/19/2023 at 9:13 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

One thing that struck me last night was a foul called against Mensah with about a minute left in OT. He jumped straight up and his arms were straight up. The Ram guard went for a layup and clearly initiated the contact. What exactly was Mensah supposed to do?

Thought I’d follow up on this. I just had the chance to ask Isaiah about this call specifically . Isaiah didn’t think there was much in it and then told me the way the referee explained it to Mensah was that while Mensah walled straight up at the beginning, he turned his upper body while in the air. Hence the foul call. 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:00 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Thought I’d follow up on this. I just had the chance to ask Isaiah about this call specifically . Isaiah didn’t think there was much in it and then told me the way the referee explained it to Mensah was that while Mensah walled straight up at the beginning, he turned his upper body while in the air. Hence the foul call. 

Never been on the "refs Suck" bandwagon.  most of the time they're fine and call a fair game.  The only issues I have are when they call some reaching BS up high just to get into the TV break on schedule (happens more than most think) and the obvious make up calls when they've been convinced they blew a call on the other end.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 1/20/2023 at 1:55 PM, SDSUfan said:

Never been on the "refs Suck" bandwagon.  most of the time they're fine and call a fair game.  The only issues I have are when they call some reaching BS up high just to get into the TV break on schedule (happens more than most think) and the obvious make up calls when they've been convinced they blew a call on the other end.

There are plenty of fans (and reporters like Zeigler and Rains) that like to blame wins and losses on referees when there’s a marginal call at the end of a game.  Truth is that there are marginal calls throughout the game. When I talked to Isaiah he wasnt upset at all. He knows that stuff happens throughout the game and all that matters is that he stay in the moment. 

i forgot to mention that Isaiah said the contact with Butler happened on the gather and that Butler defended the shot itself cleanly.