Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Nil Deals falls through Recruit bails on Florida. 

On 1/18/2023 at 4:25 PM, battle.borne said:

It should have been more controlled.  "Earnings" should have been placed into a revocable trust, monthly withdrawals limited to 100% of county AMI and only accesible if they were in academic good standing.  JMHO 

Why.  Technically it has nothing to do with sports.  Just Name, Image, and Likeness.  If that is indeed what the money is for, then no outside party has the right to manage the deal.  If that's not what it's actually for, then it's pay for play and it's illegal.

The NCAA does need to grow some stones and enforce the difference, or embrace pay for play.  It can be either/or.  It can't be both.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:46 PM, Headbutt said:

Why.  Technically it has nothing to do with sports.  Just Name, Image, and Likeness.  If that is indeed what the money is for, then no outside party has the right to manage the deal.  If that's not what it's actually for, then it's pay for play and it's illegal.

The NCAA does need to grow some stones and enforce the difference, or embrace pay for play.  It can be either/or.  It can't be both.

Techcially they are student athletes who represent a University and who must be academically eligble to play.  So if you want a free for all like we have, make them paid contractors, issue 1099's for the income, and don't make them attend classes etc.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

On 1/18/2023 at 10:31 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

The bigger story is that a high school prospect, who has never played a down of college football, ranked 7th at his position and 59 overall nationally according to 247 sports is signing a 4 year NIL deal worth $13 million.  Process that for one moment.  The 7th best QB prospect in the NFL draft would be lucky to get that deal.

What does the best QB HS prospect get? 30 million over 4 years? Who cares about the NFL - - you're set for life out of high school.

Guys like Johnny Manzel and Tim Tebow just missed out because they were Gods NCAA but not the NFL. 

kat.jpg

On 1/18/2023 at 6:09 PM, battle.borne said:

Techcially they are student athletes who represent a University and who must be academically eligble to play.  So if you want a free for all like we have, make them paid contractors, issue 1099's for the income, and don't make them attend classes etc.

The money doesn't come from the university.  The university can't have any say in that money.  I agree with you though that they should control the cash flow affecting their programs.  I don't think the $$ have really changed all that much pre-NIL to post-NIL.  It's just in the open now.  Good.  Now let's draw the line between amateur athletics and pro athletics.  All this crap is bad for college athletics, but it does offer the opportunity to finally clean them up and make them stronger than ever.  If the NCAA can't take advantage of this opportunity (remember that the P5 openly and legitimately runs the NCAA), then that body needs disbanded.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:53 AM, soupslam1 said:

There should have been a rule put in place that pay had to be commensurate with the value of work the player did for the payee. However, not sure if that would legally fly and would be difficult to enforce. 

As a player I’d damn well get a NIL contract from the paying party before I signed a NLI. 

The IRS will take a good long look at these slush funds masquerading themselves as 501 nonprofits. Bet on it. It's only a matter of time.

Even the Aztecs have one. It's called the Mesa Foundation, that pays our hoops players $2k/mo to do good works in the community.

https://www.mesafoundationsd.org/

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

25 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

The IRS will take a good long look at these slush funds masquerading themselves as 501 nonprofits. Bet on it. It's only a matter of time.

Even the Aztecs have one. It's called the Mesa Foundation, that pays our hoops players $2k/mo to do good works in the community.

https://www.mesafoundationsd.org/

I'm not completely sure the IRS will care about this... I mean if these "non-profits" are taking donations from boosters and then distributing it to student athletes in the form of taxable pay to the SAs (which I believe is what is happening) then the IRS is generating more revenue than they would if these "non-profits" didn't exist.  It doesn't seem like they will try to stop it... I mean they are taking after tax dollars and taxing them again...

I suppose if the donations from the boosters are somehow tax write-offs to the boosters (are they Bornontheblue?) then maybe they'd prohibit that but I don't see them stopping these NIL set ups... It's like Headbutt says this was always happening, it's just out in the open now and they can tax it!

On 1/18/2023 at 6:33 PM, jdgaucho said:

Florida's poorer than we thought.  Can't come up with a measly $13 million package?  

What I think happened is they go Five Star QB DJ Lagway to commit in 2024. I think the the people who originally were like why would we give you the money when Lagway will beat you out. Gators do have money.

On 1/18/2023 at 6:47 PM, rebelcuff said:

What I think happened is they go Five Star QB DJ Lagway to commit in 2024. I think the the people who originally were like why would we give you the money when Lagway will beat you out. Gators do have money.

I know.  I said that in jest.  With what they pour into softball and baseball, Gators aren't hurting for funds.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:32 PM, battle.borne said:

Do you think the NCAA is a free market?  Most of these schools are tax payer funded insitutions as well.  IMO, these kind of controls would benefit the student-athletes and protect them from predators like lawyers, agents, and various unsavory characters who latch on to young people with money.

they are now