Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

UNLV Coaching Legend Jeff Horton retires from SDSU

On 1/19/2023 at 7:15 PM, bigd said:

I wasn’t around in those days, but do you really think Horton would’ve been successful in Reno? Before he arrived UNLV was seemingly a decent program, and he started the downtrend. Similar to Tisdel, he went bowling his first year at UNLV, but then the program went straight down the gutter. Tisdel was at least a gradual decline in Reno, and had a much higher winning percentage.

According to this article Ault was very close to taking the UNLV job, and when he rejected them Horton went for it. 

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/2020/sep/26/red-defection-4-days-that-turned-college-football-/

Vegas was a middling PCAA/Big West program for much of the early to mid 80s and had a few years of success - vacated by NCAA violations. I’ve said if before and I’ll say it again, the Big Sky was a deeper conference. The PCAA had Fresno and SJSU, and nothing else. Vegas did struggle under Horton but he had to coach the Rebels after the jump to the WAC.  My point is in hindsight, Horton would probably have found more success at Nevada than Tisdel, who was awful. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:47 AM, Rev McQuervo said:

Great town, I would be delighted to live in Reno/Sparks or like my folks, Incline Village.

Incline Village is beautiful but many "Incliners" eventually become "Decliners", they move over the hill to Reno because living in Incline can be very isolating, especially in the winter.

There used to be a loose social club of "Decliners", don't know if they still meet.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:21 AM, renoskier said:

Incline Village is beautiful but many "Incliners" eventually become "Decliners", they move over the hill to Reno because living in Incline can be very isolating, especially in the winter.

There used to be a loose social club of "Decliners", don't know if they still meet.

Now Arrowcreekers. :)

On 1/20/2023 at 7:05 AM, NevadaFan said:

Vegas was a middling PCAA/Big West program for much of the early to mid 80s and had a few years of success - vacated by NCAA violations. I’ve said if before and I’ll say it again, the Big Sky was a deeper conference. The PCAA had Fresno and SJSU, and nothing else. Vegas did struggle under Horton but he had to coach the Rebels after the jump to the WAC.  My point is in hindsight, Horton would probably have found more success at Nevada than Tisdel, who was awful. 

UNLV robbed Cal State Fullerton of a bowl game in 1984.  Titans never recovered from that

On 1/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, jdgaucho said:

UNLV robbed Cal State Fullerton of a bowl game in 1984.  Titans never recovered from that

I think Nevada played them once before they folded? Maybe Pacific twice? I don’t think it played LBSU as we took their place in the conference? Again, going from playing at Montana or Boise State to playing a Pacific or Fullerton was a serious disappointment on the football side. Basketball was fading with Tark getting axed. Baseball was great. 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:10 PM, jdgaucho said:

cSUF had an idiot coach named Murphy- ended up at a much better program at FJC. 

Cocky and lousy.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:23 PM, Rev McQuervo said:

cSUF had an idiot coach named Murphy- ended up at a much better program at FJC. 

Cocky and lousy.

Gene Murphy. Fun interview, though.  

On 1/20/2023 at 8:15 PM, NevadaFan said:

I think Nevada played them once before they folded? Maybe Pacific twice? I don’t think it played LBSU as we took their place in the conference? Again, going from playing at Montana or Boise State to playing a Pacific or Fullerton was a serious disappointment on the football side. Basketball was fading with Tark getting axed. Baseball was great. 

Nevada played Pacific four times in the Big West and 42 more times before that from the 40's to the 90's...we have a long history with the Tigers. 

On 1/20/2023 at 6:48 PM, Slapdad said:

Nevada played Pacific four times in the Big West and 42 more times before that from the 40's to the 90's...we have a long history with the Tigers. 

We also played Fullerton regularly during the 80s, when we were in the Big Sky.

As Nevadafan mentioned we had a winning overall record against Big West programs when we were still 1-AA. The Big Sky and Big West were pretty equal in football.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:48 PM, Slapdad said:

Your record book says 16-10-1 vs Pacific, most of the games played prior to 1950. Nevada and UOP met up six more times between '83 and '95.  

On 1/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, bigd said:

We also played Fullerton regularly during the 80s, when we were in the Big Sky.

As Nevadafan mentioned we had a winning overall record against Big West programs when we were still 1-AA. The Big Sky and Big West were pretty equal in football.

Nevada has some funky all-time records vs other current or former Big West members. 

Nevada went 4-6 against UCSB, but most of those games were played in the 60s. Last matchup was in 1969.  

Nevada was 0-2 vs Long Beach State (losses in '64 and '65) and 6-5 vs Fullerton.  Also 2-0 vs UCR ('70 and '71) and 1-1 vs Cal State LA.  

I see dominance of NMSU and North Texas, too

On 1/20/2023 at 9:07 PM, jdgaucho said:

Nevada has some funky all-time records vs other current or former Big West members. 

Nevada went 4-6 against UCSB, but most of those games were played in the 60s. Last matchup was in 1969.  

Nevada was 0-2 vs Long Beach State (losses in '64 and '65) and 6-5 vs Fullerton.  Also 2-0 vs UCR ('70 and '71) and 1-1 vs Cal State LA.  

I see dominance of NMSU and North Texas, too

Our football program was consistently bad until we hired Ault in the late 70s (and for a short time in the late 40s).

We were a below average d2 program in the 50s and 60s that were regularly beat by SFSU and Humboldt. And before that we were rarely competitive against the Bay Area private schools plus Berkeley.

On 1/21/2023 at 6:16 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

UOP football in 1949: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_Pacific_Tigers_football_team

I never saw a football game there but UOP had a cool on-campus stadium named after the legendary Amos Alonzo Stagg. Dick Bass, the Rams' little HB when I was a kid and a very good one, played at UOP.

I clicked your link. 

That was a very impressive season. 

They even played a couple of games in the Old Grape Bowl, "Down in Ole Lodi, again."

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/18/2023 at 11:58 AM, UNLV2001 said:

UNR fans called Horton's move from UNR to UNLV the "Red Defection" .............That was pretty good !

Wonder what the UNR fans are calling the Norvell move from UNR to CSU ??

Green Defection doesn't have the same oomph

CSU SCREW has a ring to it ?!?!

I can't speak for "the UNR fans," however I'll give you one hint what frmr Pack HC & AD Chris Ault calls it:

Check out my screen name

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/legendary-wolf-pack-coach-chris-ault-dubs-jay-norvells-return-to-reno-green-infection

On 1/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

I can't speak for "the UNR fans," however I'll give you one hint what frmr Pack HC & AD Chris Ault calls it:

Check out my screen name

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/legendary-wolf-pack-coach-chris-ault-dubs-jay-norvells-return-to-reno-green-infection

Yes.  But did his return spark a brawl like Horton did in '95?

On 1/22/2023 at 10:18 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

NOPE.

You win.  UNR's in-state rivalry w/Nevada Southern is more intense than CSU's 1-yr rivalry w/the Pack.