Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Utah State

I thought that was a great and entertaining MWC game. UNLV was set on being the aggressor and putting maximum defensive pressure on the Aggies and it worked like a charm. I agree that USU is charmin soft and doesn't handle contact well. The Aggies are also short handed right now with starting PG Jones gone and regular rotation player Hamoda out tonight with a sickness so you could see the exhaustion set in late in the game. Ashworth was shooting mid-50% from 3pt on a high volume (yes, he's still shooting over 50% on the season) but he has really started to come back to earth the last few games after being forced to take over full time PG duties. 

I was super impressed with Keyshawn Hall. He is a thick, strong kid and has a great touch. Hard to believe he is a freshman. Hopefully the Rebs can hang on to him because he looks to be a nice piece of the puzzle. I came away thinking UNLV is still a contender. I know the record is hard to look past as losses pile up but they are right there. They can beat anyone which is more than what could be said in previous years. 

Luckily tonight for USU, Funk decided to return to his former self for a small stretch which was a nice boost. The guy rarely shoots from the arc, he seems far more comfortable about 5 feet behind it. Dude has incredible range for a 6'-9" player. The first time Aggie fans saw him in an early season game take the ball across halfcourt and pull up for shot in the normal course of a game while still standing on the logo and hit it like it was no big deal we knew he was a different kind of shooter.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:05 PM, TrueAg said:

I thought that was a great and entertaining MWC game. UNLV was set on being the aggressor and putting maximum defensive pressure on the Aggies and it worked like a charm. I agree that USU is charmin soft and doesn't handle contact well. The Aggies are also short handed right now with starting PG Jones gone and regular rotation player Hamoda out tonight with a sickness so you could see the exhaustion set in late in the game. Ashworth was shooting mid-50% from 3pt on a high volume (yes, he's still shooting over 50% on the season) but he has really started to come back to earth the last few games after being forced to take over full time PG duties. 

I was super impressed with Keyshawn Hall. He is a thick, strong kid and has a great touch. Hard to believe he is a freshman. Hopefully the Rebs can hang on to him because he looks to be a nice piece of the puzzle. I came away thinking UNLV is still a contender. I know the record is hard to look past as losses pile up but they are right there. They can beat anyone which is more than what could be said in previous years. 

Luckily tonight for USU, Funk decided to return to his former self for a small stretch which was a nice boost. The guy rarely shoots from the arc, he seems far more comfortable about 5 feet behind it. Dude has incredible range for a 6'-9" player. The first time Aggie fans saw him in an early season game take the ball across halfcourt and pull up for shot in the normal course of a game while still standing on the logo and hit it like it was no big deal we knew he was a different kind of shooter.

Funk won that game for you, the guy doesn't have a conscience, lol. But, you have several really good shooters, I'm jealous.

As for Keyshawn Hall, this was the first game all season that he has gotten significant minutes, and first MW game minutes at all. Tbh, I think he kind of made KK look bad, as to why he hasn't gotten any time on the court, I think his offense made up for anything his defense lacks. Hopefully he is not on his way to the transfer portal at the end of the season.

Not sure what was going on with Harkless, there was definitely something going on behind the scenes last night, that spilled over onto the court. Bad timing for him to have a bad game, it would have been nice to win one of these close ones.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:30 PM, ph90702 said:

I laugh at the people who are PISSED.  I’m not because I knew we were going to lose.

Right now, I’m about the only UNLV fan who can see the truth.

I WANT to be wrong, but I’m not.  The majority of first-time head coaches in the MW are failures.

The only ones who have succeeded are Leon Rice, Brian Dutcher, and Rodney Terry.

You had better hope that the trend continues because if it changes your life will be tough around here for a long time. You won’t be able to hide from it. Nobody is buying your self sacrificing Saint routing. This is all about your ego and thinking that you can attain some sort of fame from being “right”. 

I and most other people here just ignore you because it is easier. You constant and obsessive personal vendetta against CKK has run its course. Keep praying for UNLV failure. Nobody is buying into your bullshit or any of this “oh I want them to win” bull. 

Now I’ll go back to ignoring you, mostly, until it’s time not to ignore you. Then we’ll all have fun for years to come. 

Well........1-5.  Tied for the worst start ever in conference play for UNLV.  Just when you think the program might turn around they set a new all time low.  Unreal.  I truly don't even know what to say anymore.  This program is becoming dead to me, and that pisses me off.  

On 1/18/2023 at 5:01 AM, 4UNLV said:

Funk won that game for you, the guy doesn't have a conscience, lol. But, you have several really good shooters, I'm jealous.

As for Keyshawn Hall, this was the first game all season that he has gotten significant minutes, and first MW game minutes at all. Tbh, I think he kind of made KK look bad, as to why he hasn't gotten any time on the court, I think his offense made up for anything his defense lacks. Hopefully he is not on his way to the transfer portal at the end of the season.

Not sure what was going on with Harkless, there was definitely something going on behind the scenes last night, that spilled over onto the court. Bad timing for him to have a bad game, it would have been nice to win one of these close ones.

I am guessing foul trouble was a big factor as he never had extended minutes to get in rhythm.  When he went to the bench with his 5th foul it was right in front of us and I thought him and the assistant coach were going to go to blows, that was a very heated exchange.  

Good game UNLV.  That was very entertaining game to attend.  It was a great atmosphere and one of the more fun games I have attended in the last year.  UNLV is so hard to play against as on defense they force you to speed up and go faster than what you want forcing a lot of steals and unforced turnovers.  The Aggies rarely win when they turn the ball over 21 times.  Hall was an absolute beast last night.  He has a bright future.  Proud of the fight in the Aggies last night.  They have struggled in close games so for them to come back in the last 2 minutes to get the victory was promising.  UNLV while 1-5 has the talent to beat anybody in the league on any given night.

The UNLV men's basketball team (12-6 overall, 1-5 Mountain West) came back from nine down at halftime and held a 69-68 lead with 2:30 remaining in the game, but a couple of key baskets by Utah State gave the Aggies a 75-71 win Tuesday night at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.

Runnin' Rebel freshman Keyshawn Hall played in the first Mountain West game of his career and led the team with a career-high 19 points on 6 of 11 shooting from the field and 6 of 6 from the free-throw line. Jordan McCabe added a season-high 17 points on 6 of 10 shooting, including 5 of 7 on 3-pointers, and Keshon Gilbert contributed 14 points on 6 of 12 from the field.

Utah State (15-4, 4-2) was led by Taylor Funk who scored all 20 of his points in the first half. Steven Ashworth added 14, while Trevin Dorius had 10.

HOW IT ENDED: UNLV held the one-point lead when Ashworth's 3-pointer put the Aggies back in front, 71-69, with one minute to play. An offensive foul was called on Hall and after a timeout with two seconds left on the shot clock, Sean Bairstow made a free-throw line jumper to give Utah State a 73-69 advantage with 23 seconds left. Hall made two free throws with 16 seconds to go, but that was as close as the Runnin' Rebels would come.

SECOND-HALF DEFENSE: After Utah State shot 65.2% from the field in the first half (15 of 23), including 50% on 3-pointers (8 of 16), UNLV held the Aggies to just 37.5% (9 of 24) in the second half, including 33% on 3s (3 of 9). Utah State committed 12 of its 21 turnovers after halftime.

QUOTABLE: "If you are going to have a chance to beat Utah State, especially here, you have to fight your tail off to keep the dribble in front of you. I thought in the first half we were just chasing way too much. They are an elite passing team and obviously an elite shooting team - best in the country - and we were giving them good catch and rhythm shots, which is why we dug that hole. They had 14 assists on 15 made shots in the first half and I don't think that happens if we are flying around and keeping the ball in front and doing a better job of guarding the ball. But we adjusted in the second half and held them to 37 and a half percent. The guys talked and banded together, figuring out what changes and how to get the job accomplished. When you are holding them to that percentage in the second half, if we could have just bled it over a little more into the first, we probably win the game." - UNLV head coach Kevin Kruger.

OTHER NOTES:
- UNLV trailed 46-37 at halftime.
- UNLV shot 49.1% from the field (28 of 57) for the game.
- Victor Iwuakor scored a season-high nine points on 4 of 4 from the field with four rebounds and a career-high four steals.
- Utah State ended the game shooting 51.1% (24 of 47) from the field, including 44.0% on 3-pointers (11 of 25).
- UNLV recorded 14 steals, its second-highest total of the season, which marked the 10th time it has had double-digits in that category.
- UNLV forced Utah State to commit 21 turnovers, which is the 10th time this season it has forced its opponent into 20 or more miscues.
- Utah State led in rebounding 31-23.
- Funk was 7 of 9 in the first half from the field, including 6 of 8 on 3-pointers. After halftime, he was 0-2 and 0-1, respectively.
- Ashworth added a game-high nine assists.
- Utah State had 21 assists on 24 made field goals.
- USU was 16 of 18 on free throws.
- UNLV led in points off turnovers (27-16), points in the paint (42-26), fastbreak points (13-7) and bench scoring (38-13).
- There were seven lead changes and three ties throughout the game.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,179 straight games.

NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will play its second straight road game on Saturday, Jan. 21 at Fresno State. The 3 p.m. game will be televised by CBS Sports Network.

UNLV 71

UNLV 71
## Player GS MIN FG 3PT FT ORB-DRB REB PF A TO BLK STL PTS
10 Gilbert, Keshon * 33 6-12 0-1 2-4 1-2 3 2 5 4 0 3 14
00 Iwuakor, Victor * 32 4-4 0-0 1-2 1-3 4 3 1 0 0 4 9
15 Rodriguez, Luis * 36 4-12 0-4 0-0 1-5 6 2 2 0 0 2 8
55 Harkless, EJ * 12 1-5 0-2 0-0 2-2 4 4 1 2 0 1 2
02 Webster, Justin * 15 0-1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0
14 Hall, Keyshawn   26 6-11 1-3 6-6 0-2 2 5 0 2 0 0 19
05 McCabe, Jordan   31 6-10 5-7 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 2 0 2 17
24 Johnson III, Jackie   11 1-2 0-1 0-0 0-1 1 0 1 0 0 1 2
12 Muoka, David   3 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0
22 Jones, Karl   1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
TM TEAM   0 0-0 0-0 0-0 1-1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Totals - 200 28-57 6-18 9-12 6-17 23 21 11 11 0 14 71
Team Summary FG 3PT FT
First Half 14-27 2-6 7-8
51.85 % 33.33 % 87.50 %
Second Half 14-30 4-12 2-4
46.67 % 33.33 % 50.00 %
Total 28-57 6-18 9-12
  49.1 % 33.3 % 75.0 %
Technical Fouls: none Second Chance Points: 6 Scores Tied: 3 time(s)
Points in the Paint: 42 Fast Break Points: 13 Lead Changed: 7 time(s)
Points off Turnovers: 27 Bench Points: 38

Utah St. 75

Utah St. 75
## Player GS MIN FG 3PT FT ORB-DRB REB PF A TO BLK STL PTS
23 Funk,Taylor * 32 7-11 6-9 0-0 2-4 6 0 5 6 2 0 20
03 Ashworth,Steven * 39 5-14 3-10 1-1 1-4 5 1 9 3 0 0 14
32 Dorius,Trevin * 17 4-6 0-0 2-3 0-0 0 4 0 1 1 1 10
02 Bairstow,Sean * 32 3-7 1-3 2-2 0-4 4 3 0 2 0 0 9
11 Shulga,Max * 31 1-3 1-3 6-6 0-4 4 1 5 5 0 1 9
30 Akin,Dan   29 3-4 0-0 3-4 2-7 9 2 1 3 0 0 9
05 Eytle-Rock,RJ   17 1-2 0-0 2-2 0-1 1 3 1 0 0 1 4
12 Zapala,Szymon   3 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
TM TEAM   0 0-0 0-0 0-0 1-1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Totals - 200 24-47 11-25 16-18 6-25 31 14 21 21 3 3 75
Team Summary FG 3PT FT
First Half 15-23 8-16 8-9
65.22 % 50.00 % 88.89 %
Second Half 9-24 3-9 8-9
37.50 % 33.33 % 88.89 %
Total 24-47 11-25 16-18
  51.1 % 44.0 % 88.9 %
Technical Fouls: none Second Chance Points: 3 Scores Tied: 3 time(s)
Points in the Paint: 26 Fast Break Points: 7 Lead Changed: 7 time(s)
Points off Turnovers: 16 Bench Points: 13

On 1/18/2023 at 8:00 AM, Poster17 said:

Well........1-5.  Tied for the worst start ever in conference play for UNLV.  Just when you think the program might turn around they set a new all time low.  Unreal.  I truly don't even know what to say anymore.  This program is becoming dead to me, and that pisses me off.  

I feel you brother. There was a time back in the Bayno days that I needed to step away for a minute.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, quickdraw said:

I feel you brother. There was a time back in the Bayno days that I needed to step away for a minute.

I don't want to as I've slowly been doing that over the past 10 years.  I just have no hope for this program anymore.   I don't understand how you can't have at least one or two good seasons in the last 10.  How the hell does that happen when you have the facilities that we have.  

If there's any chance at some wins, it's going to be in the next 6 games 

At Fresno State (1/21)

Vs Wyoming (1/24)

Vs Nevada (1/28)

At Colorado State (1/31)

Vs Fresno State (2/3)

At Wyoming (2/8) 

Potentially 4 wins in FSU & Wyo if UNLV can fix some things, CSU on the road won't be a gimmee (nothing is with this UNLV team) but the Rebels did win in Ft Collins last season & the Rams were much better, Nevada at home should bring a some effort from UNLV 

Despite the losses, UNLV has been in almost every MWC game (BSU got away late) & if KK is going deeper down the bench, that might mean guys are a bit fresher game to game & there's a chance Parquet returns during the next 6

There's 12 MWC games remaining - Rebs sit at 1-5........if they can come out of the next six with a 4-2 record, that's an overall 5-7 

Looking at the final 12 MWC games...i'm going to say there are only 3 probably for sure loses left, 2/11 at SDSU, 2/19 at BSU, 3/4 at Nevada.........but of the last 6 games with the previous 3 probably loses, UNLV can get wins 2/14 vs SJSU, 2/24 vs Air Force, 3/1 vs Utah St, all home games 

Optimistically (Yes this is just wishful hoping) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 9-9 MWC finish ........1-5 to this point, then 4-2 over the middle six game, then 3-3 in the final six games for 9-9 which means UNLV goes 8-4 from here on out 

On 1/18/2023 at 1:10 PM, Poster17 said:

I don't want to as I've slowly been doing that over the past 10 years.  I just have no hope for this program anymore.   I don't understand how you can't have at least one or two good seasons in the last 10.  How the hell does that happen when you have the facilities that we have.  

Like FB, BB has been hampered by an incompetent athletic department ..........there's been talent on the UNLV BB roster, look at the guys who've made it to the NBA since the 2012/13 season (Rice's 1st) to last season 

2012/13 had 3 make the NBA (some of these are the same guys on different seasons) 

2013/14 had 3

2014/15 had 3

2015/16 had 3

2021/22 had 1 

That's 15 roster spots with an NBA talent over 10 seasons ........ how many other MWC programs can match that ?? 

Rice was getting talent but got canned .....then the Beard debacle led to UNLV offering Menzies, which led to TJO, who bailed after a losing overall record to Kevin Kruger being named based on last name alone.........3 AD's at least over that time & a couple three university presidents 

UNLV athletics have been a masters class on athletic department incompetence 

On 1/18/2023 at 1:10 PM, Poster17 said:

Admin. Look who they‘ve hired. 

On 1/18/2023 at 1:15 PM, UNLV2001 said:

If there's any chance at some wins, it's going to be in the next 6 games 

At Fresno State (1/21)

Vs Wyoming (1/24)

Vs Nevada (1/28)

At Colorado State (1/31)

Vs Fresno State (2/3)

At Wyoming (2/8) 

Potentially 4 wins in FSU & Wyo if UNLV can fix some things, CSU on the road won't be a gimmee (nothing is with this UNLV team) but the Rebels did win in Ft Collins last season & the Rams were much better, Nevada at home should bring a some effort from UNLV 

Despite the losses, UNLV has been in almost every MWC game (BSU got away late) & if KK is going deeper down the bench, that might mean guys are a bit fresher game to game & there's a chance Parquet returns during the next 6

There's 12 MWC games remaining - Rebs sit at 1-5........if they can come out of the next six with a 4-2 record, that's an overall 5-7 

Looking at the final 12 MWC games...i'm going to say there are only 3 probably for sure loses left, 2/11 at SDSU, 2/19 at BSU, 3/4 at Nevada.........but of the last 6 games with the previous 3 probably loses, UNLV can get wins 2/14 vs SJSU, 2/24 vs Air Force, 3/1 vs Utah St, all home games 

Optimistically (Yes this is just wishful hoping) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 9-9 MWC finish ........1-5 to this point, then 4-2 over the middle six game, then 3-3 in the final six games for 9-9 which means UNLV goes 8-4 from here on out 

They have been in every MW game, losing by just a couple of points, with the exception of Boise late. If they get their heads right they CAN win against anybody in this conference, the question is will they. 

The Rebs defense is good, but it’s like you are picking your poison. I think Kruger said early on something to the effect of that they would rather give up a 3, as opposed to having too many open lanes to the basket. And that’s not a bad philosophy, until you run into the #1  3 point shooting team in the country, or even a good shooting team like Boise. And to be fair, that Funk guy came out shooting from dang near half court, how do you defend that?? They did figure it out and shut him down in the second half, but the damage was done. I get what KK is trying to do, and he’ll either figure it out and get there, or, not. This season isn’t over, unless they give up, and I don’t think this is a team that does that.,

On 1/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, 4UNLV said:

Admin. Look who they‘ve hired. 

They have been in every MW game, losing by just a couple of points, with the exception of Boise late. If they get their heads right they CAN win against anybody in this conference, the question is will they. 

The Rebs defense is good, but it’s like you are picking your poison. I think Kruger said early on something to the effect of that they would rather give up a 3, as opposed to having too many open lanes to the basket. And that’s not a bad philosophy, until you run into the #1  3 point shooting team in the country, or even a good shooting team like Boise. And to be fair, that Funk guy came out shooting from dang near half court, how do you defend that?? They did figure it out and shut him down in the second half, but the damage was done. I get what KK is trying to do, and he’ll either figure it out and get there, or, not. This season isn’t over, unless they give up, and I don’t think this is a team that does that.,

100% agree - UNLV could be 5-1 with just a few plays going the other way - It's not like UNLV is being outclassed in these MWC games 

On 1/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, UNLV2001 said:

100% agree - UNLV could be 5-1 with just a few plays going the other way - It's not like UNLV is being outclassed in these MWC games 

This team is thin with size and depth, or at least the way CKK has been playing them. I was encouraged to see Hall and Jones in the last game. Results looked good as well. Looking forward to the next game and who get minutes.