Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

MWC HOOPS 1/17/23 - WHO YA GOT?

On 1/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, LoboMan59 said:

Im not sure I like this mic'd up, all access thingy. Anyone else like or dislike it?

It's kinda fun as a one-off. It's not like any national broadcasters really know that much about MW teams to provide any meaningful insight, so might as well hear the coaches try not to swear lol

Would probably get sick of it after a 2nd game though

On 1/17/2023 at 7:57 PM, thatsmymammy said:

It's cool in a way... but not all game long

Agree. Maybe during timeouts and after a big play/etc. but not all game. Takes a lot away from the actual basketball game that is being played IMO. 

On 1/17/2023 at 6:37 PM, LoboMan59 said:

I'm not sure I like this mic'd up, all access thingy. Anyone else like or dislike it?

I don't like how they cut the screen. I'd rather watch the game full screen and listen to the coaches than just watching the game on 2/3 of a screen. But I do like the locker room talk they're showing now. The first half went the way I thought it would. Go Spartans!

Becker victimizing Barnhart. 

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

On 1/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, LoboMan59 said:

Im not sure I like this mic'd up, all access thingy. Anyone else like or dislike it?

Cool in theory. 

Not really liking it. The coaches aren't that interesting. Very distracting. 

Mic up Bobby Knight that's entertainment. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

On 1/17/2023 at 8:02 PM, crixus said:

I don't like how they cut the screen. I'd rather watch the game full screen and listen to the coaches than just watching the game on 2/3 of a screen. But I do like the locker room talk they're showing right now. The first half went the way I thought it would. Go SJSU!

Lobos have built the lead to 14. SJSU is stone cold from three. Like 3-17 so far. 

Wyoming had one guy who can barely dribble backing into the lane while the other four stand there glued to the perimeter. 

Defense making Becker look like Curry. 

We won’t win a game this year. The body language says everything. The long term effects from this season are going to hurt. 

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

Congratulations Lobos. 

Good game Sparta. Your guys battled, and SJSU is much improved, no one can afford to look past your team anymore. We’ll be in for a fight when we play at your place.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 1/17/2023 at 8:26 PM, Subcanis said:

Wyoming had one guy who can barely dribble backing into the lane while the other four stand there glued to the perimeter. 

Defense making Becker look like Curry. 

We won’t win a game this year. The body language says everything. The long term effects from this season are going to hurt. 

Body language is tough to read.  It sure is bad for now and this season and it will test the returners and potential returning players when the season ends.   The tough guys will stick around and the quitters will quit.  That will be good for Wyoming in the long run if Linder can find decent talent in the portal.   Hopefully Ike returns to build the moral.    The question is how much time and recruiting is needed to get back on the horse. 

It sucks to watch any conference mate go through this and I think about even how much tougher the MWC would be with Wyoming at 100%.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:12 AM, roughrider said:

Body language is tough to read.  It sure is bad for now and this season and it will test the returners and potential returning players when the season ends.   The tough guys will stick around and the quitters will quit.  That will be good for Wyoming in the long run if Linder can find decent talent in the portal.   Hopefully Ike returns to build the moral.    The question is how much time and recruiting is needed to get back on the horse. 

It sucks to watch any conference mate go through this and I think about even how much tougher the MWC would be with Wyoming at 100%.

Bottom line is that the transfers from USC and UCLA have not worked out and that the best performances are coming from players recruited to Wyoming from high school (Maldonado, Reynolds, Oden). Word is that Linder is completely disgusted with the transfers this season and only plays them because he has to put five players on the floor. And that he will refocus on prep players and JuCo’s of the ilk of Drake Jeffries.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:52 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

Bottom line is that the transfers from USC and UCLA have not worked out and that the best performances are coming from players recruited to Wyoming from high school (Maldonado, Reynolds, Oden). Word is that Linder is completely disgusted with the transfers this season and only plays them because he has to put five players on the floor. And that he will refocus on prep players and JuCo’s of the ilk of Drake Jeffries.

It shows the potential downside of portal transfers. Yeah you may get some impact players, but other times it completely disrupts the team chemistry,  particularly in basketball where you have a lot fewer players. 

It's important to remember that every player is in the transfer portal for a reason. Some guys will take more vetting than others and still end up being a huge gamble to bring them on to your roster. I don't think Linder is as stubborn as Bohl when it comes to player profile, but wouldn't be shocked if he relies less on transfers for a while. At least not go for a 3-pack of players again... seems easier to have 1 newbie gel with the current team than a group of existing friends.

The USC guys were decent players. The UCLA guy never should have taken by the Pokes. He was a dud at UCLA.