Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Anyone Ever Attend A Super Bowl?

Basically comes down to paying a ton of money for people like us. 

I’m sure @robe has attended one because he’s a millionaire. I’m sure he had his wife working out at the gym to keep her from getting fat (as he’s told us many times he sends her to the gym if she’s gaining weight) while attending the game. But has anyone else felt inspired enough to pay that kind of dough?

I never have. I’d rather spend my money on music gear or animal charities. 

kat.jpg

I was at the Dallas vs Pittsburgh Super Bowl (XXX) in Tempe AZ -- Got tickets thru Bill owner Ralph Wilson who was neighbor of roommates father - Got a nice letter on the Bills letterhead & two free tickets 

Been to a World Series game (Yankees at Diamondbacks in '01)..... .... NFC title game (Dallas at 49ers)........Fiesta Bowl National Title game when Nebraska hammered Florida ......NBA playoff game in Vegas thanks to Rodney King riots ......NCAA tournament round 1 games in Pullman Wa (back when it was 48 teams) 

Think that's about if for "notable" games beyond regular season games 

zero percent chance I would ever spend that type of money on a NFL game. My NFL team has made two superbowls  since I have been an adult and there was not a single second I thought about going. Only game where I would spend that type of money is if Fresno State made the final four or the championship game in football. That will never happen so I don't have to worry about it.

Heck even when I had good NBA finals tickets (still much much less than  even the worse tickets for the superbowl) I ended up selling those to fund the trip ( 3 day weekend in San Francisco) and watch the game on tv. It was just too much money (considering both ticket cost and profit I was giving up) to go to the game). I might have done that different if I had a do over but it would still be a close call. 

Did go to one world series game but those were obstructed view tickets and got them via lottery (so just paid face which wasn't much for basically the worse tickets possible). 

I have, as the guest of corporate hospitality. I was in Tempe in '96 to see Novacek and the Cowboys beat the Steelers, then in Detroit in '06 to see the Steelers beat the Seahawks. Like I said, both were on the corporate dime, and having experienced it twice, a Super Bowl is nothing I'd spend my own money on, in fact I wouldn't waste my money on ANY NFL game at this point.

I'm at a point in life where I'm basically intolerant of crowds, so I'd probably pass on the opportunity if it ever came my way again. Been there, done that...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

In 1993 I went to the SB held at the Rose Bowl with the plan of waiting out the scalpers. The hope was to get in cheap some time around the start of the second quarter, figuring scalpers would be on the verge of a worthless ticket and $100 was better than nothing. To my surprise, tickets during the second quarter were going for more than double the price they started at. Turns out there is/was a huge market for uncut super bowl tickets. 

I will also never forget the sea of limos that were in that parking lot....

I'd love to take my kids in our own city next year but yeah, the cost is a little unreasonable for us. Maybe I'll get lucky and win a couple tickets on the radio or something lol. 

I’ve been to a final four. (And a baseball playoff series but that was in phoenix so that doesn’t count.) The final four is interesting. The championship game is easy to go to because half the fans leave after Saturday pissed that their team lost… and it’s too hard for fans of the teams who won to travel to the host city and backfill. Watching a college basketball game in a football stadium is pretty stupid. You basically watch the game on the Jumbotron. I think that’s why Vegas will be awesome just to party and watch the game at a sport book or bar and avoid spending $400 per ticket or whatever I spent. 

On 1/16/2023 at 4:54 PM, coalman29 said:

In 1993 I went to the SB held at the Rose Bowl with the plan of waiting out the scalpers. The hope was to get in cheap some time around the start of the second quarter, figuring scalpers would be on the verge of a worthless ticket and $100 was better than nothing. To my surprise, tickets during the second quarter were going for more than double the price they started at. Turns out there is/was a huge market for uncut super bowl tickets. 

I will also never forget the sea of limos that were in that parking lot....

That’s very interesting to hear. 

kat.jpg

On 1/16/2023 at 6:46 PM, NevadaFan said:

I’ve been to a final four. (And a baseball playoff series but that was in phoenix so that doesn’t count.) The final four is interesting. The championship game is easy to go to because half the fans leave after Saturday pissed that their team lost… and it’s too hard for fans of the teams who won to travel to the host city and backfill. Watching a college basketball game in a football stadium is pretty stupid. You basically watch the game on the Jumbotron. I think that’s why Vegas will be awesome just to party and watch the game at a sport book or bar and avoid spending $400 per ticket or whatever I spent. 

Honestly I wished they kept the 3rd place game going. I am assuming most people that buy final four tickets will also go to the champ game if their team wins. So a 3rd place game would at least give them some more reason to stay even if there team loses. 

I saw the ‘94 World Cup final at the Rose Bowl between Italy and Brazil. Went by myself. Tix were $300 (cheap seats) and couldn’t find anyone else who wanted to go. Sat amidst Brazilians so it was fun. Had $100 of Brazil so was sweating it when it went to PKs. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 1/16/2023 at 5:26 PM, toonkee said:

I'd love to take my kids in our own city next year but yeah, the cost is a little unreasonable for us. Maybe I'll get lucky and win a couple tickets on the radio or something lol. 

A Vegas Super Bowl, especially the first one, is going to be uniquely expensive for a Super Bowl, especially if both are popular teams. You’ll probably see the cheapest tickets at $5k to $12k and highest up to $100k. 

kat.jpg

Super Bowl XXXI in New Orleans. My dads a Packer fan and it had been like 30 years so he wasn't going to miss the chance. 2.5k for 2 nose-bleed seats. It was a total blast and of course the Packers won.

EDIT: I txted my dad and he said it was 2,400 for the 2 upper level tickets.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 1/16/2023 at 3:37 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Basically comes down to paying a ton of money for people like us. 

I’m sure @robe has attended one because he’s a millionaire. I’m sure he had his wife working out at the gym to keep her from getting fat (as he’s told us many times he sends her to the gym if she’s gaining weight) while attending the game. But has anyone else felt inspired enough to pay that kind of dough?

I never have. I’d rather spend my money on music gear or animal charities. 

Broncos/Falcons in Miami - 1999

It was not "...a ton of money."  Old CSU college roommate gave me a ticket for face value ($550-ish).  We rented a car for 4-5 days we only drove one day (game day) to the stadium.  Found a TOTAL FLEABAG motel in Ft Lauderdale wlk'g distance from the Donkey's team hotel next door to a full-on DIVE BAR.  Started off every day at the next-door bar w/a basket of conch fritters  & pitcher o' beer each.  I took one of the bar maids home game night after the Bronco's win. 

* Masters - 2004

* World Series - 1997 - Florida @ Cleveland

* Stanley Cup Final Game - 1997 - Philly @ Detroit 

* Indy 500 - 1995

* A majority of CSU Bowl Games

I attended two of them in the 80’s when it was affordable.

saw the Broncos lose to the Giants in the Rose Bowl in 1986 for face value of $90. Saw the Broncos lose to the Redskins in San Diego for $250.  

The majority of guests go through company seats, I’d bet. 

I went to the Denver/Carolina Super Bowl at the niners’ new stadium. It was cool. But we were sitting with a (then) pretty famous professional athlete that got on my nerves over time. 

I haven't even been to a regular season Raiders game since they moved to Vegas. Upper deck nosebleed seats are in the $300 and above range. Would like to go, but not for that price to watch a shitty NFL team. 

For some reason tickets to pro sports in Vegas are considerably more expensive than most other cities. I can't even imagine how much Super Bowl tix at Alegient will be but wouldn't be surprised to see 5 figures for a seat in the last row of the upper deck.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 1/16/2023 at 4:49 PM, UNLV2001 said:

I was at the Dallas vs Pittsburgh Super Bowl (XXX) in Tempe AZ -- Got tickets thru Bill owner Ralph Wilson who was neighbor on roommates father - Got a nice letter on the Bills letterhead & two free tickets 

Been to a World Series game (Yankees at Diamondbacks in '01)..... .... NFC title game (Dallas at 49ers)........Fiesta Bowl National Title game when Nebraska hammered Florida ......NBA playoff game in Vegas thanks to Rodney King riots ......NCAA tournament round 1 games in Pullman Wa (back when it was 48 teams) 

Think that's about if for "notable" games beyond regular season games 

Been to a lot of "notable" games, but the most memorable one was the Sweet 16 in Seattle in 1987 when Fennis Dembo and Company took on Armand Gilliam and Company...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 1/16/2023 at 7:09 PM, Nevada Convert said:

A Vegas Super Bowl, especially the first one, is going to be uniquely expensive for a Super Bowl, especially if both are popular teams. You’ll probably see the cheapest tickets at $5k to $12k and highest up to $100k. 

I spent 30 seconds checking into prices for the F1 race. 

HARD pass.  

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

I'd consider going if the Chargers made it to a Super Bowl, but we all know that won't happen (see last weekend for proof of that). The tickets are outrageous, but really everything is these days and the opportunity to give my kids a lifelong memory would make it worthwhile.