Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Colorado State at UNLV

I think a good OOC schedule includes playing 4-5 games away from home against similar talented teams. It helps to prepare a team for playing in a hostile environment that you encounter in conference play.  Boise State did that playing Charlotte, Texas A&M, St. Louis, and Santa Clara on the road. 

On 1/14/2023 at 10:53 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

I agree we shouldn't have played a super strong schedule with multiple top 25 teams. Just would have liked to see a few more top 100 teams replacing the tabernacle words and pacific life insurances, that's all. 

Every team has at least one of those games. Overall I expect to see our OOC SOS tick up as we go. Go from our lower 200’s to mid or lower 100’s next year because we should have more continuity to build on. We had 3 returners this year, we should have 7 or 8 next year.

I’d also expect recruiting to tick up next year. Recruiting is done as a staff and when you lose your entire assistant staff it takes a minute to regroup. Those guys moved on for the best of reasons by the way. Short of the Admin or AD screwing up and pushing the reset button again and again, this program is on the right track.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, soupslam1 said:

I think a good OOC schedule includes playing 4-5 games away from home against similar talented teams. It helps to prepare a team for playing in a hostile environment that you encounter in conference play.  Boise State did that playing Charlotte, Texas A&M, St. Louis, and Santa Clara on the road. 

The schedule was definitely short on true away games. 

I agree there.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, quickdraw said:

Every team has at least one of those games. Overall I expect to see our OOC SOS tick up as we go. Go from our lower 200’s to mid or lower 100’s next year because we should have more continuity to build on. We had 3 returners this year, we should have 7 or 8 next year.

I’d also expect recruiting tick up next year. Recruiting is done as a staff and when you lose your entire assistant staff it takes and minute to regroup. Those guys moved on for the best of reasons by the way. Short of the Admin or AD screwing up and pushing the reset button again and again, this program is on the right track.

I believe that with a deeper roster and a bit more talent, CKK can definitely paper over a few of his deficiencies in the x&o dept. 

If he's handling his business on the recruiting trail, his style of coaching and using his guys should not be as glaring as its showing to be right now.

Going into his 3rd year as HC, CKK needs to enter next season with a formidable and deep roster tailored to what he wants to get done on the floor.

I think all UNLV fans here are in agreement that UNLV should be recruiting at the top of the mtn worst. If you can't recruit to UNLV, you and your staff are simply ineffective as recruiting closers.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2023/jan/14/unlv-basketball-rallying-around-defense-against-co/

UNLV basketball rallying around defense against Colorado State

Can UNLV bounce back Saturday, when Colorado State visits the Thomas & Mack Center? Three keys to watch:

Kruger staying the course on defense

UNLV has built a top-50 defense this season, and Kevin Kruger’s pressure-based system has the Scarlet and Gray ranked No. 2 in the nation in forcing turnovers. But Boise State had little problem using dribble-penetration and ball movement to generate open shots every time down the court.

After practice on Friday, Kruger said UNLV’s defensive strategy is still sound, and he doesn’t expect to tweak the gameplan.

What he wants to see is better execution.

“That was one of two, maybe three games where our offense was good enough to win the game and it was our defense that hurt us,” Kruger said. “We haven’t said that very much this year. So, I don’t think we change a whole lot. I think we go back to what we’ve been working on the last few days, getting that swagger, getting that edge back.”

Boise State was the first team to pick apart the UNLV defense, but other Mountain West squads are sure to study that tape and employ similar tactics.

Kruger said the players have to dig deeper now that they’re not taking opponents by surprise.

“We’ve got to understand, the guys have done an unbelievable job becoming an elite defensive team, and when you do that, teams are going to come in prepared,” Kruger said.

50/50 proposition

UNLV only forced 15 turnovers against Boise State, which was well below the team’s average of 19.6 per game. Kruger thought that number could have been higher if the Scarlet and Gray had been quicker to loose balls.

On several possessions they were able to get a deflection or force Boise State to mishandle the ball, but too often the Broncos were able to regain control and eventually score.

Kruger wants his players to go full-bore when they smell an opportunity to take the ball away.

“When we were the aggressor, when we were more physical, most of those 50/50 balls, most of those loose balls guys were diving for, we ended up with them,” Kruger said. “We had two plays in a two-minute stretch where it went fumble-fumble-fumble-layup Boise. We haven’t dealt with that a lot. It comes back to getting back to our DNA, which is flying around and guarding.”

Dick Calvert night

For more than 50 years, Dick Calvert was the voice of UNLV basketball, providing PA announcements for some of the most memorable moments in program history. He retired prior to this season, and on Saturday he’ll be recognized for those decades of service.

UNLV will hold a halftime ceremony in Calvert’s honor and commemorate his career by raising a banner to the rafters.

“If you’re going to sit around and talk Runnin’ Rebel hoops, the voice for 52 years, that’s pretty historic,” Kruger said. “Extremely excited, proud, happy for him and his family that he’s going to get some well-deserved attention.”

On 1/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, qwelish said:

I believe that with a deeper roster and a bit more talent, CKK can definitely paper over a few of his deficiencies in the x&o dept. 

If he's handling his business on the recruiting trail, his style of coaching and using his guys should not be as glaring as its showing to be right now.

Going into his 3rd year as HC, CKK needs to enter next season with a formidable and deep roster tailored to what he wants to get done on the floor.

I think all UNLV fans here are in agreement that UNLV should be recruiting at the top of the mtn worst. If you can't recruit to UNLV, you and your staff are simply ineffective as recruiting closers.

Take me off of that list. I believe that good players go to where they have the best opportunity to succeed. UNLV hasn’t been that team for a long time. It’s been a long dysfunctional drawn out decade since then. Only big money or a fight back to relevancy again will change that. 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:02 PM, quickdraw said:

Take me off of that list. I believe that good players go to where they have the best opportunity to succeed. UNLV hasn’t been that team for a long time. It’s been a long dysfunctional drawn out decade since then. Only big money or a fight back to relevancy again will change that. 

That's fine. But my point is that it's not the UNLV stadium and facilities or Las Vegas the city causing any dysfunction. 

Only San diego competes location wise. 

Instant success could be had by UNLV.

But UNLV repeatedly tries to grow its own name coach organically.

No one can convince me that a coach Cal, coach K or a Tom Izzo would take 3 to 5 years to win here. Hell no. If you think that, I'd love to hear why.

Zero hires of coaches with any cache. Retreads, assistants and upstarts only. Then UNLV stacks the schedule on them.

None of it makes any sense.