Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

JD Wicker staying at San Diego State

JD decides to stay despite a 3x pay increase in Starkville. He makes $400k, which is probably subsistence wages in San Diego. He coulda lived like Royalty at MSU.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2023-01-12/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-john-david-wicker-athletic-director-mississippi-state-ad-stays-new-contract

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/13/2023 at 8:38 AM, Spaztecs said:

JD decides to stay despite a 3x pay increase in Starkville. He makes $400k, which is probably subsistence wages in San Diego. He coulda lived like Royalty at MSU.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2023-01-12/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-john-david-wicker-athletic-director-mississippi-state-ad-stays-new-contract

JD is about to get a healthy raise when the school he works for moves to a new conference

While he has done well with the JAM Center and Stadium development, I can't help but think the FB program has underachieved on his watch. 

Americans Mayor

On 1/13/2023 at 8:38 AM, Spaztecs said:

He coulda lived like Royalty at MSU.

Just one look at those rednecks was enough for him to say, "nah I'm good here at State."

On 1/13/2023 at 9:49 AM, jdgaucho said:

Just one look at those rednecks was enough for him to say, "nah I'm good here at State."

While he wouldn't have had the Best House up on Hill in Starkville, he would have been up on the Hill. It's also his Alma Mater and his family is in that part of the Country.

He's s a Commoner in San Diego.

He obviously likes the challenges ahead of him on the Mesa.

Americans Mayor

On 1/13/2023 at 8:47 AM, Spaztecs said:

While he has done well with the JAM Center and Stadium development, I can't help but think the FB program has underachieved on his watch. 

Eh, I think underacheived is a stretch.  We had A bad year , and COVID is a wash.  And that bad year was still above .500, preceded by a year where the absolute opposite of all the bad bounces and things not going our way happened.  I believe he may have put the pressure to get the Heck up outta here, and if true, then he did what was needed.  Hopefully he focuses on continuing to look to modernize the offensive philosophy to balance both exciting football, and winning football.  He still needs to improve our in-region marketing, national branding, and using connections to schedule quality opponents from rarely-played conferences (more non-P12 opponents).  On his watch our schedule has gotten more consistent in HnH's with P5's that aren't complete cellar dwellers.  I also think he absolutely needs to push to up the Aztec Club membership, and vocalize SWOT findings to generate what is financially needed to specific programs and functions.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:47 AM, Spaztecs said:

Since his first full year as AD fb is 50-24 and has bowled every season except the covid year. If you count 2016 they are 61-27.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:41 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I am sure AztecMesa will be filled with cheers on this.  :P

That place is a toxic waste dump; every visit is depressing. As for the AD, reading the tea leaves, the only way I'm turning down an SEC job, and that kind of $, is if I know I'll soon  be the AD in a P5 conference. Things are looking up! 

I doubt JD was offered the job. He still used the interest to get a new contract. Good for him.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

On 1/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Eh, I think underacheived is a stretch.  We had A bad year , and COVID is a wash.  And that bad year was still above .500, preceded by a year where the absolute opposite of all the bad bounces and things not going our way happened.  I believe he may have put the pressure to get the Heck up outta here, and if true, then he did what was needed.  Hopefully he focuses on continuing to look to modernize the offensive philosophy to balance both exciting football, and winning football.  He still needs to improve our in-region marketing, national branding, and using connections to schedule quality opponents from rarely-played conferences (more non-P12 opponents).  On his watch our schedule has gotten more consistent in HnH's with P5's that aren't complete cellar dwellers.  I also think he absolutely needs to push to up the Aztec Club membership, and vocalize SWOT findings to generate what is financially needed to specific programs and functions.

Don't forget, I think Wicker also pressured Rocky to emphasize offense a bit more.  I'm pretty sure that's why he left for UNM in a huff.    

aztech, you're probably correct that was a reason for Rocky leaving SDSU but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the only reason. The last couple years Rocky was around, he started getting rather surly with the media during press conferences. It all began in mid-2018 when what was a terrible SJSU team stacked the box and dared the Aztecs to get out of their comfort zone and try to pass. Although we won that game, it was by just 3 points and checking my Phil Steele's, the pre-game point spread was a whopping 27. After that, everybody and their brother emulated SJSU and although we put up 27 the next season against the Spartans at mid-season, we thereafter scored just 20, 13, 17, 11 and 13 points in the regular season before being shut out by unmighty Ohio in our bowl game. At that point it was crystal clear that Horton needed to be replaced at OC but Rocky not only wouldn't do that, he wouldn't even debate the point with the media.

Now it looks like despite Horton having done at best a mediocre job as OC for half of 2022 and despite him saying he doesn't want to be OC in 2023, Brady is pressuring Jeff to come back in that position. :digging:

On 1/13/2023 at 3:43 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

aztech, you're probably correct that was a reason for Rocky leaving SDSU but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the only reason. The last couple years Rocky was around, he started getting rather surly with the media during press conferences. It all began in mid-2018 when what was a terrible SJSU team stacked the box and dared the Aztecs to get out of their comfort zone and try to pass. Although we won that game, it was by just 3 points and checking my Phil Steele's, the pre-game point spread was a whopping 27. After that, everybody and their brother emulated SJSU and although we put up 27 the next season against the Spartans at mid-season, we thereafter scored just 20, 13, 17, 11 and 13 points in the regular season before being shut out by unmighty Ohio in our bowl game. At that point it was crystal clear that Horton needed to be replaced at OC but Rocky not only wouldn't do that, he wouldn't even debate the point with the media.

Now it looks like despite Horton having done at best a mediocre job as OC for half of 2022 and despite him saying he doesn't want to be OC in 2023, Brady is pressuring Jeff to come back in that position. :digging:

Lindley is the next OC imo. JD almost spilled the beans in a interview recently.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:41 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I am sure AztecMesa will be filled with cheers on this.  :P

On 1/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, dshawfan said:

That place is a toxic waste dump; every visit is depressing. As for the AD, reading the tea leaves, the only way I'm turning down an SEC job, and that kind of $, is if I know I'll soon  be the AD in a P5 conference. Things are looking up! 

Are there any other Aztec boards still around?  @818SUDSFan mentioned one a while back but but not sure if it’s still exists.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:49 PM, bitteraztec said:

Are there any other Aztec boards still around?  @818SUDSFan mentioned one a while back but but not sure if it’s still exists.

Aztecsfight, maybe?

On 1/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, Spaztecs said:

While he wouldn't have had the Best House up on Hill in Starkville, he would have been up on the Hill. It's also his Alma Mater and his family is in that part of the Country.

He's s a Commoner in San Diego.

He obviously likes the challenges ahead of him on the Mesa.

Do you really think that $400k is his total income?

Think about the folks he deals with daily in his real estate, promotion, and fund raising activities.   The contacts he has developed cannot be found in that low rent, backwater, shanty town.

long game.....

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 1/14/2023 at 2:10 AM, aztech said:

Don't forget, I think Wicker also pressured Rocky to emphasize offense a bit more.  I'm pretty sure that's why he left for UNM in a huff.    

Yup. This is what happened. He ran Rocky out.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:39 PM, fanhood said:

Yup. This is what happened. He ran Rocky out.

I dont dislike Rocky, but what did he actually accomplish at SDSU? It might have been better than NM prior. If you're cool with winning just enough to play in some BS bowl game to satisfy the administration then fine. The Aztecs should have had more with those RB's. Pretty sure the AD finally got tired of the same schtick and vice versa.  

There is zero evidence Wicker ran Rocky out. None. 

Rocky always just wanted to be a DC and not have to deal with the administrative issues/hassles of a HC. He’d done that for eight years at SDSU and about ten at UNM. He’d had enough of it and he said as much. 

If he still wanted to be a HC and was forced to resign then why did he take DC jobs and not try for another HC job?  The answer is because he didn’t want to be a HC anymore.