Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClevelandBrown

NET Ratings - Sun, Jan 8th

On 1/8/2023 at 4:24 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Conferences don't make $$ off basketball by beating good schools during football season when only a few people are paying attention to hoops. Conferences make $$ by beating good schools at the end of the season in the NCAAs when the entire country is watching. And it should be apparent to everyone who has been paying attention that you do that be toughening up conference basketball teams that get into the tournament by improving the conference top to bottom. The MW is stuck with AFA which will never, ever be consistently good in that sport. However, what about the following?

1. A decade or so ago, the MW added SJSU which has historically had one of the dozen or so worst men's basketball programs in the country.

2. If roomers are accurate, the MW could have added Wichita State as an Olys-only member. However, the MW had already gone so butt-hurt over BYU taking its football program that it declined BYU's desire to leave them in. So maybe that was the reason the MW didn't accept Wichita State's overture but whatever the reason, that was also a dumb move.

3. Later, roomers again flew that Gonzaga wanted to join the MW. However, those roomers never evolved into reality either and now it looks like the Zags will join either the Pac or the B12.

4. And did Thompson ever engage in such out-of-the-box thinking as encouraging UNM to just forget about football, in which it has never had a good program, and put the money it invests in that sport into basketball, in which it has historically had a GOOD program? (I'd argue that so doing would help Lobos basketball improve from a program which gets into the NCAAs half the time and almost never wins into a program which gets into the NCAAs MOST of the time and OFTEN wins.)

Wut??

On 1/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, 4UNLV said:

You've heard me say that?

No.  I just figured you would say it in jest.  Since Reno is family :friends:

On 1/8/2023 at 3:24 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Conferences don't make $$ off basketball by beating good schools during football season when only a few people are paying attention to hoops. Conferences make $$ by beating good schools at the end of the season in the NCAAs when the entire country is watching. And it should be apparent to everyone who has been paying attention that you do that be toughening up conference basketball teams that get into the tournament by improving the conference top to bottom. The MW is stuck with AFA which will never, ever be consistently good in that sport. However, what about the following?

1. A decade or so ago, the MW added SJSU which has historically had one of the dozen or so worst men's basketball programs in the country.

2. If roomers are accurate, the MW could have added Wichita State as an Olys-only member. However, the MW had already gone so butt-hurt over BYU taking its football program that it declined BYU's desire to leave them in. So maybe that was the reason the MW didn't accept Wichita State's overture but whatever the reason, that was also a dumb move.

3. Later, roomers again flew that Gonzaga wanted to join the MW. However, those roomers never evolved into reality either and now it looks like the Zags will join either the Pac or the B12.

4. And did Thompson ever engage in such out-of-the-box thinking as encouraging UNM to just forget about football, in which it has never had a good program, and put the money it invests in that sport into basketball, in which it has historically had a GOOD program? (I'd argue that so doing would help Lobos basketball improve from a program which gets into the NCAAs half the time and almost never wins into a program which gets into the NCAAs MOST of the time and OFTEN wins.)

so, a commissioner is supposed to tell schools how to run their programs?

I don't think you have a clear idea of the job.

but I have no doubt that you, and others, will soon be bitching about the new commissioner

On 1/8/2023 at 9:51 AM, Spaztecs said:

I'm not a stats geek, but these NET ratings make no damned sense. If you win, especially on the road, the worst that should happen is you stay where you are. A loss at home to a weak sister should cause you to drop a dozen or so spots.

Remember that there are teams above and below us, and I am guessing someone below us performed well enough to displace us a single spot. 

Furthermore, FWIW, the NET takes several factors into account to arrive an an expected value for a given outcome. It is possible that the NETrics suggested we should have won by more (for instance, it could be argued we underperformed defensively), and that could have contributed as well to our movement relative to the teams around us.

My apologies if this has already been covered - I haven't read through the end of the thread.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 1/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, TheSanDiegan said:

Remember that there are teams above and below us, and I am guessing someone below us performed well enough to displace us a single spot. 

Furthermore, FWIW, the NET takes several factors into account to arrive an an expected value for a given outcome. It is possible that the NETrics suggested we should have won by more (for instance, it could be argued we underperformed defensively), and that could have contributed as well to our movement relative to the teams around us.

My apologies if this has already been covered - I haven't read through the end of the thread.

This is exactly what happened. I've already plugged it a bunch of times but every college bball fan should get familiar with bracketologists.com if they want to track the NET. 

SDSU was expected to win by 8 at WYO. Winning by 5 was close but a little short. The fact it is a road game and WYOs 200+ NET ranking is already considered and factored in. Staying within 1 or 2 spots of SDSUs ranking should be expected given the result of the game.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, 4UNLV said:

Good for USU and all, but I am not sure why they have such a high net 

Games versus Q1, Q2, Q3.

USU - 11-1

UNR- 10-3

BSU- 7-3

SDSU- 7-3

UNLV- 7-3

The Aggies wins have come against the highest NET average teams among MWC teams.

Average NET win

USU- 118

SDSU- 134

UNR- 144

UNLV- 154

BSU- 158

UNM- 188

On 1/9/2023 at 1:57 PM, TrueAg said:

Games versus Q1, Q2, Q3.

USU - 11-1

UNR- 10-3

BSU- 7-3

SDSU- 7-3

UNLV- 7-3

The Aggies wins have come against the highest NET average teams among MWC teams.

Average NET win

USU- 118

SDSU- 134

UNR- 144

UNLV- 154

BSU- 158

UNM- 188

Like I said, that’s great, and I’m not saying you don’t deserve it any more than anybody else.  But I just don’t get it with your loss to Weber State,  it’s like that is just ignored. Good for the Aggies, though, it makes us all look better. 

On 1/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, 4UNLV said:

Like I said, that’s great, and I’m not saying you don’t deserve it any more than anybody else.  But I just don’t get it with your loss to Weber State,  it’s like that is just ignored. Good for the Aggies, though, it makes us all look better. 

It could simply be they have done more than enough for NET to ignore that one Weber State eyesore.  

On 1/9/2023 at 4:34 PM, 4UNLV said:

I guess we should all be so lucky with a quad 4 loss lol

Most teams can get away with only one.

On 1/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, renoskier said:

so, a commissioner is supposed to tell schools how to run their programs?

I don't think you have a clear idea of the job.

but I have no doubt that you, and others, will soon be bitching about the new commissioner

You're a good guy, skier but  . . .

Like I'M gonna give a shit about the new MW commissioner if my school manages to get a promo out of this mess.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, TrueAg said:

This is exactly what happened. I've already plugged it a bunch of times but every college bball fan should get familiar with bracketologists.com if they want to track the NET. 

SDSU was expected to win by 8 at WYO. Winning by 5 was close but a little short. The fact it is a road game and WYOs 200+ NET ranking is already considered and factored in. Staying within 1 or 2 spots of SDSUs ranking should be expected given the result of the game.

You're a good guy too so this question is meant with respect. Given history, does it matter at all where MWC basketball teams are in the RPI, er NET?

On 1/9/2023 at 1:57 PM, TrueAg said:

Games versus Q1, Q2, Q3.

USU - 11-1

UNR- 10-3

BSU- 7-3

SDSU- 7-3

UNLV- 7-3

Average NET win

USU- 118

SDSU- 134

UNR- 144

UNLV- 154

BSU- 158

UNM- 188

Seems odd given that SDSU’s SOS is ranked 10th and USU is 33. I admit I don’t have a good understanding of how NET ranking is calculated.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 1/9/2023 at 6:22 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

You're a good guy too so this question is meant with respect. Given history, does it matter at all where MWC basketball teams are in the RPI, er NET?

Does basically every question or dumb argument on this board matter? Big fat no.

But better than watching that crap NT game. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:22 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

If you mean in reference to how MWC teams perform come tourney time, then yeah it doesn't matter because we seem to under perform once there.

It only matters as to which teams will rep the MWC in the tourney. The teams selected have been chosen and seeded almost directly from the order of the NET rankings since its inception. The RPI has no bearing on anything anymore.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Seems odd given that SDSU’s SOS is ranked 10th and USU is 33. I admit I don’t have a good understanding of how NET ranking is calculated.

Not odd at all. Of the 10 games the Aztecs have played versus Q1-Q3 teams; 5 have come against Q1 teams. That is awesome and it's what is boosting their SOS. Despite not playing any Q2 games and having 5 Q3 games with 4 more Q4 games, SDSU maintains a great SOS.

USU has only played 1 Q1 game but has 11 Q2-Q3 games which places them lower in overall SOS as expected. The fact that they have gone 11-0 in those Q2 and Q3 games though lands them 3 spots behind SDSU in the NET.

On 1/10/2023 at 1:45 AM, TrueAg said:

Not odd at all. Of the 10 games the Aztecs have played versus Q1-Q3 teams; 5 have come against Q1 teams. That is awesome and it's what is boosting their SOS. Despite not playing any Q2 games and having 5 Q3 games with 4 more Q4 games, SDSU maintains a great SOS.

USU has only played 1 Q1 game but has 11 Q2-Q3 games which places them lower in overall SOS as expected. The fact that they have gone 11-0 in those Q2 and Q3 games though lands them 3 spots behind SDSU in the NET.

It’s just a conspiracy. USU and its big money donors have convinced the net rating makers we are superior and should be afforded special treatment. #Nikemoney

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 1/9/2023 at 2:57 PM, TrueAg said:

Games versus Q1, Q2, Q3.

USU - 11-1

UNR- 10-3

BSU- 7-3

SDSU- 7-3

UNLV- 7-3

Average NET win

USU- 118

SDSU- 134

UNR- 144

UNLV- 154

BSU- 158

UNM- 188

I think you forgot to add UNM. They are 8-2 against Q1,Q2, Q3. 

On 1/10/2023 at 6:25 AM, madmartigan said:

It’s just a conspiracy. USU and its big money donors have convinced the net rating makers we are superior and should be afforded special treatment. #Nikemoney

Nikemoney 🤑....and all this time I thought it was #AggieBlueMintIceCreammoney that drove the bus 😉