Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

Fresno to the P5?

On 2/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, Spaztecs said:

Oh come on @utenation, we all know their value lies in a reduced payout so the other Schools can fatten up and guaranteed W's for their first couple of seasons.

Their first five years are going to be a huuuuge dose of ugly stick beat downs 

In football?? Not likely.  Basketball is going to be tough sledding though.  For more than five years.  Probably forever on the men’s side.  

As far as value to the conference goes we are probably the top road trip destination in the conference after OUT leave.  It’s funny some of the things people pull out of their butts to try to insult me, they just look dumb though.  We also will have the youngest and best looking fanbase-everyone enjoys mingling with us after they lose ;)

Try to ignore the UCF Twitter mafia.  It’s huge loud and obnoxious, but our average alumni is half the age of whatever school in comparison so that comes with the territory. 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:31 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

If you mean this calendar year, you're correct.

Most likely not until the next round of tv Contracts.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 2/6/2023 at 7:14 AM, Spaztecs said:

Most likely not until the next round of tv Contracts.

I'll concede this: The Pac has been so seriously mismanaged over the last decade that it's entirely possible they won't add SDSU this year. Given how everyone and their brother thinks it's a foregone conclusion the Aztecs will be invited, for the Pac not to do so once they get the TV deal done will be to demean SDSU even more than you've done the last seven months - and that's saying something.

Nothing like opening the door for Brett Yormouth to then go to his TV partners to try to tweak their deal to include SDSU and Memphis. Won't happen you say because as G5s the two WOULD get less money? No, MIGHT is the word.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:53 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'll concede this: The Pac has been so seriously mismanaged over the last decade that it's entirely possible they won't add SDSU this year. Given how everyone and their brother thinks it's a foregone conclusion the Aztecs will be invited, for the Pac not to do so once they get the TV deal done will be to demean SDSU even more than you've done the last seven months - and that's saying something.

Nothing like opening the door for Brett Yormouth to then go to his TV partners to try to tweak their deal to include SDSU and Memphis. Won't happen you say because as G5s the two WOULD get less money? No, MIGHT is the word.

No...it's won't.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 2/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, thatsmymammy said:

Is the PAC even a P5 anymore without UCLA and USC?

Yes.  The P5 was given extra power in writing by the NCAA and its members.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 2/6/2023 at 4:50 PM, fanhood said:

Who do you all think is more likely to get into a P5 conference, Boise or Fresno?

I would vote for Boise, but I would not like their odds at this point.

Fresno is more likely. Who knows what will happen and I don’t mean to sound presumptuous by saying Fresno will be add but if there is any conference realignments coming up, I will have to say that Fresno State will be before Boise State. Boise just doesn’t bring any value to the TV market and that’s what the networks are looking for. Idaho is a small sparsely populated state surround by other small state and P5/ D1 programs: Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Washington state, Colorado, Utah, BYU. 

Boise might get in but I think it is a long shot. the list might  go in This order or something close (JMHO):

1) SUDs

2) Fresno

3) UNLV

4) Reno,

5) Boise.

Boise, Idaho is a small state/TV market. They are surrounded by small low populated states with D1 programs.  I see USU; Wyoming; Hawaii; New Mexico; UNLV; Reno,  San Jose, and Boise State all sticking together in a group of 5.

Fresno and SDSU could very well remain on that G5 list as well but since we are presuming conference realignment I’d say SDSU and then Fresno St are the most likely in the MWC to get the nod if only 2 school are chosen. 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:27 PM, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

Fresno is more likely. Who knows what will happen and I don’t mean to sound presumptuous by saying Fresno will be add but if there is any conference realignments coming up, I will have to say that Fresno State will be before Boise State. Boise just doesn’t bring any value to the TV market and that’s what the networks are looking for. Idaho is a small sparsely populated state surround by other small state and P5/ D1 programs: Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Washington state, Colorado, Utah, BYU. 

Boise might get in but I think it is a long shot. the list might  go in This order or something close (JMHO):

1) SUDs

2) Fresno

3) UNLV

4) Reno,

5) Boise.

Boise, Idaho is a small state/TV market. They are surrounded by small low populated states with D1 programs.  I see USU; Wyoming; Hawaii; New Mexico; UNLV; Reno,  San Jose, and Boise State all sticking together in a group of 5.

Fresno and SDSU could very well remain on that G5 list as well but since we are presuming conference realignment I’d say SDSU and then Fresno St are the most likely in the MWC to get the nod if only 2 school are chosen. 

Well if SUDS and SMU get taken by the PAC...then Fresno will be on the top of the list for the next move...hopefully to Big12. 

On 2/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I don’t believe the PAC has any interest in ‘demeaning’ SDSU or any other potential partner.  Radio silence is necessary at this stage.  The remaining teams may try to banter with you but that’s normal hazing.  

On 2/6/2023 at 11:27 PM, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

1) SUDs

2) Fresno

3) UNLV

4) Reno,

5) Boise.

I otherwise agree but would flip-flop Boise and UNR. I haven't been doing much traveling since COVID hit but for many years did quite a bit throughout California and contrary to Boise, people outside SD and Fresno hardly know UNR exists. When I worked for the state in the mid-eighties to 1990, I went up to Sacto at least a dozen times on business. Granted that was many years ago but I recall that until one of the secretaries told me her son was going to the University of Nevada, Reno on a football scholarship I didn't even know UNR existed.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:27 AM, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

1) SUDs

2) Fresno

3) UNLV

4) Reno,

5) Boise.

UNLV is definitely in front of Fresno, and Boise is definitely in front of Reno.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:27 AM, FresnoStateBulldogFan said:

1) SUDs

2) Fresno

3) UNLV

4) Reno,

5) Boise.

I think you might be surprised by Boise St, what I had heard was Boise St was neck and neck with Houston for the last Big12 add.  In fact they had a slight edge over Houston, because of a travel partner for BYU and another 4th time slot program.  But in the end Houston got a boost from politics and Boise's academics worked against them.  Boise St TV draw was a huge boost to them being in there tell the end, also production on the football field didn't hurt.

TV market  always gets thrown out there, Boise St TV market is small, the Idaho's population is so small.  For fun I want to compare some Pac States and Big12 states to Idaho.

Idaho- Population 1.9 million; 0 P5 schools; 1 FBS school (Boise St); 2 FCS schools (Idaho and Idaho St)

Arizona- Population 7.2 million; 2 P5 schools (Arizona and Arizona St); 2 FBS schools; 1 FCS school (Northern Arizona)

Colorado- Population 5.8 million; 1 P5 school (Colorado); 3 FBS schools (Air Force and Colorado St); 1 FCS school (Northern Colorado)

Oregon- Population 4.2 million; 2 P5 schools (Oregon and Oregon St); 2 FBS schools; 1 FCS school (Portland St)

Washington- Population 7.8 million; 2 P5 schools (Washington and Washington St); 2 FBS schools; 1 FCS school (Eastern Washington)

Utah- Population 3.3 million; 2 P5 schools (BYU and Utah); 3 FBS schools (plus Utah St); 3 FCS schools (Weber St, Southern Utah and Utah Tech)

Iowa- Population 3.2 million; 2 P5 schools (Iowa and Iowa St); 2 FBS schools; 2 FCS schools (Drake and Northern Iowa)

Kansas- Population 2.9 million; 2 P5 schools (Kansas and Kansas St); 2 FBS schools; 0 FCS schools

Oklahoma- Population 4.0 million; 2 P5 schools (Oklahoma and Oklahoma St); 3 FBS schools (Tulsa); 0 FCS schools

West Virginia- Population 1.8 million; 1 P5 school (West Virginia); 2 FBS schools (Marshall; 0 FCS schools

Idaho and Boise St population/media market falls right in line with the Big12's size of States not named Ohio (2 P5), Texas (6 P5), and Florida (4 P5).  But those 3 States do have a lot of FBS schools in their States.

Ohio- Thee Ohio St has ruled Ohio forever as the only P5, until Cincinnati getting the move up: Population 11.8 million; 2 P5 schools; 8 FBS schools (Akron, Bowling Green, Kent St, Miami, Ohio, and Toledo)

Florida- Population 22.2 million; 4 P5 schools (Florida, Florida St, Miami, and UCF); 7 FBS schools (Florida International, Florida Atlantic, and South Florida)

Texas- Texas and A&M have always been the Big Dogs: Population 30.0 million; 6 P5 schools (Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, and TCU); 13 FBS schools (North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston St, SMU, Texas St, UTEP, and UTSA)

On 2/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, e-zone99 said:

I think you might be surprised by Boise St, what I had heard was Boise St was neck and neck with Houston for the last Big12 add.  In fact they had a slight edge over Houston, because of a travel partner for BYU and another 4th time slot program.  But in the end Houston got a boost from politics and Boise's academics worked against them.  Boise St TV draw was a huge boost to them being in there tell the end, also production on the football field didn't hurt.

TV market  always gets thrown out there, Boise St TV market is small, the Idaho's population is so small.  For fun I want to compare some Pac States and Big12 states to Idaho.

Idaho- Population 1.9 million; 0 P5 schools; 1 FBS school (Boise St); 2 FCS schools (Idaho and Idaho St)

Arizona- Population 7.2 million; 2 P5 schools (Arizona and Arizona St); 2 FBS schools; 1 FCS school (Northern Arizona)

Colorado- Population 5.8 million; 1 P5 school (Colorado); 3 FBS schools (Air Force and Colorado St); 1 FCS school (Northern Colorado)

Oregon- Population 4.2 million; 2 P5 schools (Oregon and Oregon St); 2 FBS schools; 1 FCS school (Portland St)

Washington- Population 7.8 million; 2 P5 schools (Washington and Washington St); 2 FBS schools; 1 FCS school (Eastern Washington)

Utah- Population 3.3 million; 2 P5 schools (BYU and Utah); 3 FBS schools (plus Utah St); 3 FCS schools (Weber St, Southern Utah and Utah Tech)

Iowa- Population 3.2 million; 2 P5 schools (Iowa and Iowa St); 2 FBS schools; 2 FCS schools (Drake and Northern Iowa)

Kansas- Population 2.9 million; 2 P5 schools (Kansas and Kansas St); 2 FBS schools; 0 FCS schools

Oklahoma- Population 4.0 million; 2 P5 schools (Oklahoma and Oklahoma St); 3 FBS schools (Tulsa); 0 FCS schools

West Virginia- Population 1.8 million; 1 P5 school (West Virginia); 2 FBS schools (Marshall; 0 FCS schools

Idaho and Boise St population/media market falls right in line with the Big12's size of States not named Ohio (2 P5), Texas (6 P5), and Florida (4 P5).  But those 3 States do have a lot of FBS schools in their States.

Ohio- Thee Ohio St has ruled Ohio forever as the only P5, until Cincinnati getting the move up: Population 11.8 million; 2 P5 schools; 8 FBS schools (Akron, Bowling Green, Kent St, Miami, Ohio, and Toledo)

Florida- Population 22.2 million; 4 P5 schools (Florida, Florida St, Miami, and UCF); 7 FBS schools (Florida International, Florida Atlantic, and South Florida)

Texas- Texas and A&M have always been the Big Dogs: Population 30.0 million; 6 P5 schools (Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, and TCU); 13 FBS schools (North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston St, SMU, Texas St, UTEP, and UTSA)

"The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week from 2015–19. Streaming numbers are included when available. Conference championship games and bowl games are not included in these numbers. Games that do not have available data were counted as zero."

#64 Boise St (476K)

#79 Fresno St (127K)

#85 Nevada (80K)

#86 San Diego St (63K)

#87 UNLV (55K)

Link: https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

Or 2021

"Ranking the most-watched college football programs in 2021 The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season. Streaming numbers are included when available. Games that do not have available data are counted as zero."

#49 Boise St (657K)

#78 San Diego St (198K)

#96 Nevada (78K)

#104 Fresno St (45K)

#107 UNLV (34K)

Link: https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858

Boise St's small media market has not been a problem to the networks in wanting to air their games, according to these numbers.