Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

Fresno to the P5?

On 1/9/2023 at 12:02 AM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

Shouldn't we have another board entitled:  FAKE NEWS

...for threads w/OPs like:  CSU-FresNo to the P5?

Or maybe we need a Medical section for you. You can tell us stories like the time you obnoxiously showed up to your work staff meeting and your boss referred to you as a staff infection. 

kat.jpg

On 1/9/2023 at 12:07 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Or maybe we need a Medical section for you. You can tell us stories like the time you obnoxiously showed up to your work staff meeting and your boss referred to you as a staff infection. 

¿Isn't HC MJN-III the "Green Infection?"  Or ¿is it the mass exodus of member of UNR's FB Pack from the Greater Sparks Metroplex I---> Ft Fun, NoColo for our superior life style?

Sorry...to burst your bubble @Nevada Convert.  Unfortunately, I've never been at a "work staff mtg" at my job wrk'g w/The Art Dept at one of the major movie (TV) studios in H'wood.  Try again...I have faith in you NC.  Some of your best wrk ever can be found earlier in this thread.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Not academics.  

For some conferences it is, both the PAC and B10 look at academic strength as part of the big picture.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, Aztec1984 said:

For some conferences it is, both the PAC and B10 look at academic strength as part of the big picture.

Which is ridiculous as whatever “elite academic profile” a school has is not applied to the athletes with the same rigor. Hell, it’s not even applied evenly across the different sports. 

On 1/8/2023 at 10:38 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Not academics.  

Certainly not in the $EC or New12.

The B1G, PAC, and ACC, certainly.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, JohnJayJay said:

Which is ridiculous as whatever “elite academic profile” a school has is not applied to the athletes with the same rigor. Hell, it’s not even applied evenly across the different sports. 

Its not about the Academic Prowess if Athletes. Although many choose Higher Academic Value Schools. It's about Acedmic and Research Alliances.

Utah's profile in both areas have increased significantly since joining the PAC.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/9/2023 at 2:28 PM, Spaztecs said:

Its not about the Academic Prowess if Athletes. Although many choose Higher Academic Value Schools. It's about Acedmic and Research Alliances.

Utah's profile in both areas have increased significantly since joining the PAC.

It’s hyper elitist nonsense. You don’t need to engage in athletic contests with “students” on the field who are NOT representative of the actual “students” at the school in order to form “research and academic alliances.” You can do that, at, oh…I dunno…actual academic conferences and research seminars? Work the cocktail reception before and dinner after, etc. And, if you really, really want to be part of an academic conference, join the Ivy…or start a west coast version and invite the UCs, the Claremont colleges, etc. This is 90% about football and television partners and has eff all to do with the physics department. The sooner the PAC realizes that the sooner they can avoid irrelevance. 

On 1/9/2023 at 4:36 PM, JohnJayJay said:

It’s hyper elitist nonsense. You don’t need to engage in athletic contests with “students” on the field who are NOT representative of the actual “students” at the school in order to form “research and academic alliances.” You can do that, at, oh…I dunno…actual academic conferences and research seminars? Work the cocktail reception before and dinner after, etc. And, if you really, really want to be part of an academic conference, join the Ivy…or start a west coast version and invite the UCs, the Claremont colleges, etc. This is 90% about football and television partners and has eff all to do with the physics department. The sooner the PAC realizes that the sooner they can avoid irrelevance. 

University Presidents vote on conference affiliation, not Athletic Directors. Some conferences value academics higher than others. SDSU wants to join the PAC over the B12 for this reason. San Diego needs a second research university in this county of 3.3M people. Sports? That is secondary, but welcomed.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Measure E (known as the Fresno State sales tax), did not pass in the most recent elections, so that’s a tough thing that will be going against the university in a potential move.

I’m glad you can copy+paste. Really putting that Humanities college degree to work. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 1/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Measure E (known as the Fresno State sales tax), did not pass in the most recent elections, so that’s a tough thing that will be going against the university in a potential move.

Measure E was definitely not the end all be all. It was more of a Hail Mary pass to see what happens. Even though I voted yes, a vote to increase taxes(although very small) in this economy had an high hill to overcome. A vote for higher taxes in the central valley usually doesn't bode well, unless it is for our city zoo which was a tad smaller than measure E and overwhelmingly passed. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

On 1/9/2023 at 8:57 PM, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

Measure E was definitely not the end all be all. It was more of a Hail Mary pass to see what happens. Even though I voted yes, a vote to increase taxes(although very small) in this economy had an high hill to overcome. A vote for higher taxes in the central valley usually doesn't bode well, unless it is for our city zoo which was a tad smaller than measure E and overwhelmingly passed. 

The city council resolution was a farce but I agree about Measure E which could actually have accomplished something.

B12 still hasn't signed a GOR. If the PAC can get the PNW schools to sign a long enough GOR I think they have a chance to convince BYU to join. If that happens BSU or FSU to B12 becomes far more likely. 

On 1/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, AztecSU said:

B12 still hasn't signed a GOR. If the PAC can get the PNW schools to sign a long enough GOR I think they have a chance to convince BYU to join. If that happens BSU or FSU to B12 becomes far more likely. 

Naw, can't happen! Nobody is going to leave the mighty Big 12 whose champion represented the conference so admirably in the national championship game.

On 1/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Naw, can't happen! Nobody is going to leave the mighty Big 12 whose champion represented the conference so admirably in the national championship game.

It's extremely unlikely, jokes aside. But without a GOR its possible. 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:04 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

They represented their conference just fine when they beat the B10 champion.