Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

Coming Changes to Bowl Season and NIL ?

College Football’s Bowl System Eyeing Sweeping Overhaul

It’s never been easier to qualify for a bowl game. That may soon change, as college football executives are set to reexamine the bowl system with expanded playoffs looming.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/28/bowl-system-eyeing-sweeping-overhaul

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

I'm thinking some of these low end bowls that have no P5 teams are destined for extinction.

One bowl mentioned had 851,000 viewers & some of these bowls barely get to 40% capacity - Plus added playoff games / teams render the already meaningless bowls more meaningless 

Still think there's major changes coming to CFB with more & more separation from the haves & the have not's  --- Then there's the NIL deals & yearly free agency -- Going to be interesting and /or could be majorly deflating for a % of CFB programs 

The expanded playoffs, coupled with slightly stiffer eligibility requirements would require the elimination of a number of bowls.  That's fine, but which ones?  I'm sure nobody is volunteering.  Maybe fans can agree on a few to get rid of, but I doubt the 'Tater Bowl attorneys would agree.  This could get messy.

The NCAA has decertified bowls before.  Seattle, Aloha, Silicon Valley , Bluebonnet to name a few.  A few tweaks to the certification rules (attendance, payouts) and the bottom rung disappears.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:11 PM, RSF said:

The NCAA has decertified bowls before.  Seattle, Aloha, Silicon Valley , Bluebonnet to name a few.  A few tweaks to the certification rules (attendance, TV ratings, payouts) and the bottom rung disappears.  

FIFY.

Yeah, they can decertify.  I'm just saying that nobody will go down without a fight.

On 1/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, UNLV2001 said:

I'm thinking some of these low end bowls that have no P5 teams are destined for extinction.

One bowl mentioned had 851,000 viewers & some of these bowls barely get to 40% capacity - Plus added playoff games / teams render the already meaningless bowls more meaningless 

Still think there's major changes coming to CFB with more & more separation from the haves & the have not's  --- Then there's the NIL deals & yearly free agency -- Going to be interesting and /or could be majorly deflating for a % of CFB programs 

I think in 2022 850k is a win in viewership

On 1/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, RSF said:

The NCAA has decertified bowls before.  Seattle, Aloha, Silicon Valley , Bluebonnet to name a few.  A few tweaks to the certification rules (attendance, payouts) and the bottom rung disappears.  

I'm sure the people who bet on some of these awful games would hate to see them go away. Hard for me to watch any of them but I always am reading about players not playing to focus on the draft so have to think good sports bettors are taking advantage of this information and making some cash 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

The reality about fairness is that Bowl Teams get extra practice time.

I'm okay with 6-6 squads in Bowls. But, you should also allow non Bowl Teams an extra two weeks of practice in December as well.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 1/3/2023 at 11:03 PM, Spaztecs said:

The reality about fairness is that Bowl Teams get extra practice time.

I'm okay with 6-6 squads in Bowls. But, you should also allow non Bowl Teams an extra two weeks of practice in December as well.

+1000.  I've been saying this for years.