Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandjean87

Age Trends to Conservatism at Risk

On 1/2/2023 at 11:20 AM, tspoke said:

As the oldest millenial, I agree anecdotally. Got more liberal as I age... Voted for my first Democrat president at 39(previous several voted libertarian before that voted for W twice) 

That article referenced the U.K. and USA.  I really do not closely follow the politics of our old friends, but the Johnson-Trump parallels seem to have import along with three major economic disruptions over the past two decades as well as import trends in that realm (economics).  

In the USA, we've seen major changes in issues of importance and social views on a number of matters.  Long term, the political right has to address matters and/or reframe things differently.  The left has done issues there, too.  

On 1/2/2023 at 10:05 AM, grandjean87 said:

I can foresee reversing in time, but for now.  Might have a paywall so see tweet in next post. 

https://www.ft.com/content/c361e372-769e-45cd-a063-f5c0a7767cf4

I talked to a friend about this the other day.  I see mys sons and their friends getting slightly more conservative fiscally as they age.  However, with church attendance way down among the millennials they are not going back to social conservatism.  They are also for more environmentally aware and more progressive there.  I doubt it reverses in many areas ever again

On 1/2/2023 at 12:28 PM, Billings said:

I talked to a friend about this the other day.  I see mys sons and their friends getting slightly more conservative fiscally as they age.  However, with church attendance way down among the millennials they are not going back to social conservatism.  They are also for more environmentally aware and more progressive there.  I doubt it reverses in many areas ever again

In 2008 Obama was not for gay marriage.  Many young conservatives are more "liberal" on that now.  We've evolved.  The abortion policy clashes are not going to help the right.  The environmental concerns are long secular trends just beginning.

The political right will react in due time.   Right now, they have just sh!t the bed in so many ways.  The sooner they clean the sheets, the better their lot. 

The silent and boomer gens political behavior, particularly once they reached retirement age is playing a role in this. And, I have a feeling the silent gens experience with the Great Depression and how they raised their boomer kids was likely a large part of why they swung right. Just a guess.

On 1/2/2023 at 10:20 AM, tspoke said:

As the oldest millenial, I agree anecdotally. Got more liberal as I age... Voted for my first Democrat president at 39(previous several voted libertarian before that voted for W twice) 

I'm a boomer but this is true for me also...libertarian/conservative in college, now much more liberal...primarily due social issues.

I’ve said this flippantly many times, but, houses are phuckin expensive. Millennials were raised with home ownership not just being a sign of success, but almost just a sign of adulthood. So it’s really hard to truly feel like you’ve “made it” when you can’t afford to buy a house. You have a ton of people that made the “right decisions” (some combination of not having kids while young, getting a decent and stable job, maybe getting a college education, etc), are in their 30s going into their 40s, and yet home ownership still feels like it’s unattainable.

That feeling certainly doesn’t typically lead to one being a fiscal conservative, at the very least. 

On 1/2/2023 at 1:02 PM, grandjean87 said:

In 2008 Obama was not for gay marriage.  Many young conservatives are more "liberal" on the now.  We've evolved.  The abortion policy clashes are not going to help the right.  The environmental concerns are long secular trends just beginning.

The political right will react in due time.   Right now, they have just sh!t the bed in so many ways.  The sooner they clean the sheets, the better their lot. 

SO you think evangelical churches will change their stances

On 1/2/2023 at 4:30 PM, Billings said:

SO you think evangelical churches will change their stances

There has been a lot written about younger Evangelicals and their changing views and politics in recent years.   Support for climate change, less militant on other issues, and no doubt new issues will arise.  Given the declining demographics that minority group (White Evangelicals) has now, there are headwinds for ongoing political influence (even w/o evolving views). 

Social and cultural issues will remain, but as others have noted, the economics of the coming era will continue to have a lot to do with politics.   

On 1/2/2023 at 10:06 AM, grandjean87 said:

My observation over the years that people generally move towards the middle as they age. Their life experiences may have started off to bias them on one side or even one side extreme, but as they see and learn more, it moves them towards the center. It’s just a simple fact that moderate left to moderate right, i.e. a little left of center to a little right of center is where most American voters are. 

kat.jpg

On 1/2/2023 at 5:30 PM, Nevada Convert said:

My observation over the years that people generally move towards the middle as they age. Their life experiences may have started off to bias them on one side or even extreme, but as they see more and learn more, it moves them towards the center. It’s just a simple fact that moderate left to moderate right, i.e. a little left of center to a little right of center is where most American voters are. 

In a few more decades, you may even be a moderate .

On 1/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, grandjean87 said:

In a few more decades, you may even be a moderate .

I was going to add that there’s a whole lot of people on this board that have no clue whatsoever what the center is, including you. You don’t even know my policy positions on most issues….that’s how smart you are. 😂 

kat.jpg

On 1/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I was going to add that there’s a whole lot of people on this board that have no clue whatsoever what the center is, including you. You don’t even know my policy positions on most issues….that’s how smart you are. 😂 

It was a TIC post, but I'm not sure you even know your policy positions?  You should post a spreadsheet or something.

As for people becoming less liberal, more conservative, and/or moderate their views from younger years, there's probably some basic flow of life things that have import.  There is that old maxim(s) attributed to different figures over time (the liberal young, conservative older ones). But, this also assumes there is a fairly static set of issues and matters over long periods of time.  It feels like that has not been the case in recent times.  That graph in the OP/second post might be an indication of that?

On 1/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, renoskier said:

I'm a boomer but this is true for me also...libertarian/conservative in college, now much more liberal...primarily due social issues.

I was definitely trending more conservative largely because I was turned off by the Occupy Wall Street and whatever the hell was happening in Seattle with a sprinkle of the Bernie Bros but the right swung way too far right for me to ever even consider voting for any of them. I proudly voted for Sandoval twice (including from overseas using mail in ballot!)  and would have again if he was eligible. 

Shit I even regretfully voted for Jim Gibbons , fingers crossed Lombardo does good but I have my doubts. My ex wife is a Metro cop and she said he couldn't even manage Metro what makes you think he can manage a state where he won't have yes men at every turn

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 1/2/2023 at 4:46 PM, grandjean87 said:

It was a TIC post, but I'm not sure you even know your policy positions?  You should post a spreadsheet or something.

As for people becoming less liberal, more conservative, and/or moderate their views from younger years, there's probably some basic flow of life things that have import.  There is that old maxim(s) attributed to different figures over time (the liberal young, conservative older ones). But, this also assumes there is a fairly static set of issues and matters over long periods of time.  It feels like that has not been the case in recent times.  That graph in the OP/second post might be an indication of that?

I don’t know my own policy positions? Ah yeah, I think so. I’ve got some more liberal and conservative positions, but mostly moderate. Dead center is where Manchin and Susan Collins touch in the center. I average out just a bit right of center, but it qualifies as center. I never even discuss most of my positions here, just the ones I have most fun with. 

I remember I did a long list of issues when bagibos questioned me being a moderate about 6 or so years ago, and he said he was surprised and then agreed with me when he saw it. I’ll have to do that again. 

kat.jpg

On 1/2/2023 at 6:46 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I don’t know my own policy positions? Ah yeah, I think so. I’ve got some more liberal and conservative positions, but mostly moderate. Dead center is where Manchin and Susan Collins touch in the center. I average out just a bit right of center, but it qualifies as center. I never even discuss most of my positions here, just the ones I have most fun with. 

I remember I did a long list of issues when bagibos questioned me being a moderate about 6 or so years ago, and he said he was surprised and then agreed with me when he saw it. I’ll have to do that again. 

Like they say, pics or it didn't happen.  A list of policy positions that is.

On 1/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, grandjean87 said:

In 2008 Obama was not for gay marriage.  Many young conservatives are more "liberal" on the now.  We've evolved.  The abortion policy clashes are not going to help the right.  The environmental concerns are long secular trends just beginning.

Trump recently stated the GOP needs to soften their views on abortion.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor