Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Diego State at UNLV

Way too early to be pressing the panic button. 0-2 start to conference play, we’ve seen that before. It’s routine with UNLV. It’s all about being healthy and finishing strong at the end of the year. 

NIT is still a very good possibility, postseason play is all I care about this year. 

The Aztecs have a combined 48 turnovers to show for their last two victories.

I smell blowout losses in Reno and Logan, where they rarely play well, and Albuquerque, where they rarely play well when the Lobos don't suck.

And don't' misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting they won't also have 2-3 close losses in conference. 

On 12/31/2022 at 4:08 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Basically nothing we all don't know about UNLV

1) Rebs needs the main 9 guys to be healthy & play

2) We knew the interior game was iffy & not a source of offense

3) Gilbert is coming off a FR season where he averaged 2.5 pt per game......to expect him to carry a major scoring load might be a reach

4) Harkless, Gilbert & LouD can't disappear for extended periods in games - there's not enough bench ammo to fill the scoring gap

Don't freak out, UNLV was in this game despite the obvious issues and UNLV was a possession or two from winning at SJSU..........the MWC is showing it will be a grind ..........Good odds UNLV opens 0-3 but can recover .............Rebs have a week off before New Mexico 

CALM DOWN DAMMIT 

And Sparty went into Moby and WON! When was the last time they did that, they might be for real now, lol.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:37 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I smell blowout losses in Reno and Logan, where they rarely play well, and Albuquerque, where they rarely play well when the Lobos don't suck.

And don't' misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting they won't also have 2-3 close losses in conference. 

They have the disadvantage of being a sea level team in an altitude conference.

But they’re big babies about it.  Steve Fisher bitched like a little girl about playing Wyoming and Colorado State back-to-back!

On 12/31/2022 at 5:45 PM, 4UNLV said:

And Sparty went into Moby and WON! When was the last time they did that, they might be for real now, lol.

Based on the way things are looking, UNLV’s loss to San Jose State might go down as Q2.

On 12/31/2022 at 6:45 PM, 4UNLV said:

Sparty was 0-23 all time against CSU before tonight. In all buildings. And Miles told me he wrote that on the whiteboard in the locker room.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:49 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Sparty was 0-23 all time against CSU before tonight. In all buildings. And Miles told me he wrote that on the whiteboard in the locker room.

I would've done that too, lol. Love that guy. Although not on the same scale, I bet he did something just a little like that for UNLV, too, since DRF picked baby Kruger within about 2 minutes, instead of Miles, who we all KNEW was a good coach.

On 12/31/2022 at 6:54 PM, 4UNLV said:

I would've done that too, lol. Love that guy. Although not on the same scale, I bet he did something just a little like that for UNLV, too, since DRF picked baby Kruger within about 2 minutes, instead of Miles, who we all KNEW was a good coach.

I told him I hope people start showing up to see his team play. He told me they had maybe 300 for the UNLV game. That’s Stuff that makes me sad.

I also got to say hello to Tim’s dad today. He and other members of the family drove all the way from Sioux Falls, SD.  I Met him in Louisville when CSU played in the NCAA Tournament in 2012. At the ripe age of 96, he doesn’t get to many games anymore so even though CSU lost, I felt great for him that he got to see his son on the winning side today.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:45 PM, ph90702 said:

They have the disadvantage of being a sea level team in an altitude conference.

But they’re big babies about it.  Steve Fisher bitched like a little girl about playing Wyoming and Colorado State back-to-back!

Sorry to bust your bubble but among the reasons many coaches win a lot is that bitching like a little girl so often works. Off the top of my head that also applies to Huggins, Boeheim and Pitino.

On 12/31/2022 at 6:08 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Sorry to bust your bubble but among the reasons many coaches win a lot is that bitching like a little girl so often works. Off the top of my head that also applies to Huggins, Boeheim and Pitino.

Real men would play non-P5 Wyoming and Colorado State back-to-back!

On 12/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, ph90702 said:

I know for a fact that Erick Harper is not happy with the state of the basketball program.  Kevin Kruger is on a short leash!

Steve Fisher was 19-37 his first two years at State. If you change coaches every 2-3 years you’ll never get to where you want to be. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 12/31/2022 at 5:49 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Nice.  Whatever it was, resonated with the team.  

On 12/31/2022 at 6:32 PM, rebelcuff said:

Kruger messed up big time when he took Cottrell over Udeze. We had our choice and he chose wrong.

I said that Cottrell was a red flag as soon as he hit the portal. His injury history and when did play he was terrible at West Virginia.  I like what Kruger is trying to do defensively and now that he has a foundation of what he wants to do he needs to recruit for it. 

On 12/31/2022 at 6:31 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Steve Fisher was 19-37 his first two years at State. If you change coaches every 2-3 years you’ll never get to where you want to be. 

Not comparable situations.  San Diego State was nothing before Steve Fisher took over.  UNLV at one point made three Final Fours in five years.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:25 PM, ph90702 said:

Not comparable situations.  San Diego State was nothing before Steve Fisher took over.  UNLV at one point made three Final Fours in five years.

Comparing yourself to what you were more than 30 years ago is pointless. You are nothing now. You’ve lost 13 of your last 14 to SDSU. Deal with it and grow. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 12/31/2022 at 6:54 PM, 4UNLV said:

We all ‘knew’, but you know damn well that UNLV of all places, where expectations are likes of Pitino or Cronin to walk through the door… were never going to settle for CSU’s leftovers. Doesn’t matter how good of a coach Miles is. 

On 12/31/2022 at 5:37 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Idk where you got 48 from but we have a combined 36 TOV’s in last 2 games. To be fair UNLV turns everyone over (they are second in country in forced TOV%). Also we’ve played UNM well in alberquerque for some time, even when they haven’t sucked. Could very well lose those 2 tho, will be rightfully underdogs

On 12/31/2022 at 10:41 AM, 4UNLV said:

Well we know @mundyc3 will be at the knights game, lol. Some of my extended family will be at the Rebel game, probably an extra 10. The fact that it is at 1:00 helps in some ways, we can still get home before it gets crazy here. Crazier, anyway. But I still don’t think there will be a very big crowd. Had we not lost those two games that we probably shouldn’t have (no disrespect to Sparty, they earned the win), and were at full strength and playing well, I think there would be a lot more people there today. 

Jokingly said when VGK went down 2-0 that we could leave and make the UNLV game. Glad we stayed.