Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Boise State gets largest single (Athletic) donation in their history...

On 12/29/2022 at 1:23 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

¿Are you serious?

CSU is a Carnegie R1 (very high research activity) institution, that's a MASSIVE hub of USDA & US Forest Srvc research.  It's world renowned for Atmospheric Science, Infectious Diseases, Clean Energy Tech, Nutrition, Hydrology, various Engineering specialities & many other non-Vet Ag fields such as Animal Turf Science.

Here's a link for you to chew on @bsu_alum9:

https://source.colostate.edu/csu-research-expenditures-hit-447-2-million-shatter-records/

Maybe this will help you conceptualize the relative scale of academics between CSU & blu burro juco:

$447.2mm...CSU's 2021 Research Expenditures 

$68mm...Boise CC's 2022 Research Expenditures 

CSU's research footprint is nearly 7x greater than your commuter school.

https://www.boisestate.edu/news/2022/08/29/research-and-sponsored-project-awards-break-record-in-2022/

"New Temple Grandin Equine Cntr Opens:"

https://agsci.source.colostate.edu/new-temple-grandin-equine-center-opens-on-csus-foothills-campus/

CC:  @Broncomare

The US Forest Service research is in partnership with the University of Wyoming.  Boise State's Geo Sciences building is still fairly new and has all of the up to date technology.  My daughter worked with a very renowned Professor at Boise State on a NASA grant, while earning her hydrology and GIS degrees.  She had this really cool robot that had snow testing and Doppler weather instruments on it and skied into the back country outside of Boise for the testing NASA was requiring.  She was also instrumental in helping the C130 that UW and cspewe had to test weather over conflagrations in Idaho, since NIFC is in Boise.  cspewe has 100 years on Boise State but they are catching up fast, so go eat scam the rams droppings. 

down in a hole.jpg

On 12/29/2022 at 12:26 PM, Broncomare said:

The US Forest Service research is in partnership with the University of Wyoming.  <---I All of it?  Link pls...

Boise State's Geo Sciences building is still fairly new and has all of the up to date technology.  My daughter worked with a very renowned Professor at Boise State on a NASA grant, while earning her hydrology and GIS degrees.  She had this really cool robot that had snow testing and Doppler weather instruments on it and skied into the back country outside of Boise for the testing NASA was requiring.  She was also instrumental in helping the C130 that UW and cspewe had to test weather over conflagrations in Idaho, since NIFC is in Boise.  cspewe has 100 years on Boise State but they are catching up fast, so go eat scam the rams droppings. 

We get it.  Your daughter is the next coming of Jesus Christ/Mother Teresa/Rosa Parks & you are a HUGE fan of any vehicle used in Smokey & the Bandit.

Your attempt to piggy back wyo on the coattails of CSU's robust portfolio of US Forest Srvc research would be laughable if it wasn't so down right pitiful.

Not really sure what any of this has to do with CSU having 7x the research budget of The Juco in Eastern Oregon.  ¿Could you be so kind as to connect the dots for us?

On 12/29/2022 at 3:26 PM, utenation said:

The AAU is prestigious and have their qualifications for sure. It’s their club.  

Personally. I think Ag and planetary improvement research science is just as valuable to the world as medical research. With a growing human population, strained food supplies and rampant climate change, we should reward and recognize these institutions more with extra funding. 

Most of the top ag schools (Davis, Cornell, several B10 schools, A&M) are in the AAU. Same with climate change research (Penn State, Ohio State to name two).  So it's not like the club is ignoring such matters. 

On 12/29/2022 at 12:51 PM, RebelAlliance said:

Most of the top ag schools (Davis, Cornell, several B10 schools, A&M) are in the AAU. Same with climate change research (Penn State, Ohio State to name two).  So it's not like the club is ignoring such matters. 

No one says they are.

Once again, my pt:  AAU doesn't count Ag Research

On 12/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, tailingpermit said:

The university has had incredible growth from enrollment and academic facilities since the first Fiesta Bowl. If I remember correctly, Micron and Simplot only donate to academics. Also academics has the backing of a $670 student fee per full time student per semester.  

Congratulations on your "Most Improved" ribbon.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, RebelAlliance said:

If good Ag schools are getting dumped by the AAU just because they are Ag is my point. 

On 12/29/2022 at 1:23 PM, ---I GREEN INFECTION I--- said:

¿Are you serious?

CSU is a Carnegie R1 (very high research activity) institution, that's a MASSIVE hub of USDA & US Forest Srvc research.  It's world renowned for Atmospheric Science, Infectious Diseases, Clean Energy Tech, Nutrition, Hydrology, various Engineering specialities & many other non-Vet Ag fields such as Animal & Turf Sciences.

Here's a link for you to chew on @bsu_alum9:

https://source.colostate.edu/csu-research-expenditures-hit-447-2-million-shatter-records/

Maybe this will help you conceptualize the relative scale of academics between CSU & blu burro juco:

$447.2mm...CSU's 2021 Research Expenditures 

$68mm...Boise CC's 2022 Research Expenditures 

CSU's research footprint is nearly 7x greater than your commuter school.

https://www.boisestate.edu/news/2022/08/29/research-and-sponsored-project-awards-break-record-in-2022/

"New Temple Grandin Equine Cntr Opens:"

https://agsci.source.colostate.edu/new-temple-grandin-equine-center-opens-on-csus-foothills-campus/

CC:  @Broncomare

Except nobody cares. Thus why nobody knew any of whatever you wrote that I didn't read.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, RebelAlliance said:

You do understand that universities have strategic plans, target fundraising goals and areas of emphasis and will often steer donors to areas of higher importance than what they might initially be interested in. If a university has almost half its donations going to the AD, that is absolutely a conscious prioritization on the part of its leadership.  And given Kustra's long history in running the place of following a gemeral philosophy of football uber alles, it's not surprising that is the culture and priorities of BSU. 

Did you just pull that out of your @$$? The campus has poured $100s of millions of dollars into the campus infrastructure over the last couple of decades. Far, far, far outweighing anything they've put into the athletic department. You are completely making up figures just to prove your own point... but your numbers are WAAAAAAAY off.  The campus is almost unrecognizable from where it was 20 years ago.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:26 PM, Broncomare said:

The US Forest Service research is in partnership with the University of Wyoming.  Boise State's Geo Sciences building is still fairly new and has all of the up to date technology.  My daughter worked with a very renowned Professor at Boise State on a NASA grant, while earning her hydrology and GIS degrees.  She had this really cool robot that had snow testing and Doppler weather instruments on it and skied into the back country outside of Boise for the testing NASA was requiring.  She was also instrumental in helping the C130 that UW and cspewe had to test weather over conflagrations in Idaho, since NIFC is in Boise.  cspewe has 100 years on Boise State but they are catching up fast, so go eat scam the rams droppings. 

CSU is the 15th ranked Forestry college in the world.  10th in the US and North America.  Props to Boise State for their work as well, but it's not even close.

https://edurank.org/environmental-science/forestry/

More importantly, this is a stupid discussion.

Congrats to Boise for the athletic fundraising.  It is impressive, and we could all use a few of those donations.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, jewelz4562000 said:

Except nobody cares. Thus why nobody knew any of whatever you wrote that I didn't read.

¿REALLY?  You cared enough to respond....

¿How's the Nevada Southern campaign to become a self proclaimed Land Grant institution via your own State Legislature coming along?

On 12/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, Headbutt said:

CSU is the 15th ranked Forestry college in the world.  10th in the US and North America.  Props to Boise State for their work as well, but it's not even close.

https://edurank.org/environmental-science/forestry/

More importantly, this is a stupid discussion.

Congrats to Boise for the athletic fundraising.  It is impressive, and we could all use a few of those donations.

It's interesting that this topic went off the rails. It was a straight forward topic, but some couldn't either congratulate the accomplishment or just ignore it... instead, they come in with "Oh yeah, well you're ugly." 

On 12/29/2022 at 4:11 PM, kingpotato said:

Did you just pull that out of your @$$? The campus has poured $100s of millions of dollars into the campus infrastructure over the last couple of decades. Far, far, far outweighing anything they've put into the athletic department. You are completely making up figures just to prove your own point... but your numbers are WAAAAAAAY off.  The campus is almost unrecognizable from where it was 20 years ago.

Ummm, there are no numbers--made up or otherwise--in that post. Earlier, I posted Boise's most recent annual fundraising total and how much of it went to athletics. I also posted a reference link that went to Boise's own press release. If those numbers are made up, then that would say a lot more about Boise then than it would about me. 

On 12/29/2022 at 3:58 PM, utenation said:

If good Ag schools are getting dumped by the AAU just because they are Ag is my point. 

But are they?  I'm guessing there was alot wrong with Nebraska beyond being too reliant on ag dollars. Even before they were dumped, a lot of people considered them a real outlier among the B10. Also, Syracuse was dumped at the same time, and they aren't an ag school at all. 

On 12/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, RebelAlliance said:

Ummm, there are no numbers--made up or otherwise--in that post. Earlier, I posted Boise's most recent annual fundraising total and how much of it went to athletics. I also posted a reference link that went to Boise's own press release. If those numbers are made up, then that would say a lot more about Boise then than it would about me. 

"... a university has almost half its donations going to the AD, that is absolutely a conscious prioritization on the part of its leadership.  And given Kustra's long history in running the place of following a gemeral philosophy of football uber alles, it's not surprising that is the culture and priorities of BSU."

Completely and totally made up. BTW, "half" is absolutely a "number." Please tell me you, at least, are aware of that? That is a completely fictional scenario and one you clearly know absolutely nothing about. The vast, vast majority of fundraising goes to academics... and Jeremiah Dickey has nothing to do with that. You wanna get back on topic now?

On 12/29/2022 at 5:09 PM, kingpotato said:

"... a university has almost half its donations going to the AD, that is absolutely a conscious prioritization on the part of its leadership.  And given Kustra's long history in running the place of following a gemeral philosophy of football uber alles, it's not surprising that is the culture and priorities of BSU."

Completely and totally made up. BTW, "half" is absolutely a "number." Please tell me you, at least, are aware of that? That is a completely fictional scenario and one you clearly know absolutely nothing about. The vast, vast majority of fundraising goes to academics... and Jeremiah Dickey has nothing to do with that. You wanna get back on topic now?

I used the phrase "almost half," and 24M out of 56M is absolutely "almost half." (43%)

https://broncosports.com/news/2022/8/22/general-boise-state-athletics-announces-record-setting-fundraising-year

BOISE, Idaho – Boise State Athletics set the department's all-time single-year fundraising record with $24.1 million in total support during the 2022 fiscal year, director of athletics Jeramiah Dickey announced Monday. The announcement arrives on the heels of last week's University-wide celebration of an overall institutional annual fundraising record of $56.5 million.

And the topic at hand is that Boise is still a blue turfed football team with a university attached to it...a university with severely misplaced priorities.  

On 12/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, kingpotato said:

It's interesting that this topic went off the rails. It was a straight forward topic, but some couldn't either congratulate the accomplishment or just ignore it... instead, they come in with "Oh yeah, well you're ugly." 

¿REALLY...over simplify much @kingpotato?

#1 - Read pg #1.  I congratulated y'all 2x before the thread went off the rails.  I made a "commuter school" crack & the juco faithful lost their shyte...

#2 - I did NOT say "you're ugly."  I said you're dumb.  I also said your priorities are out of wack.

Oh ya..and @RebelAlliance helped some too...

On 12/29/2022 at 3:59 PM, RebelAlliance said:

But are they?  I'm guessing there was alot wrong with Nebraska beyond being too reliant on ag dollars. Even before they were dumped, a lot of people considered them a real outlier among the B10. Also, Syracuse was dumped at the same time, and they aren't an ag school at all. 

If there are other dirty details of why the ones mentioned in this thread were dumped, I don’t know those details and I don’t have the desire to research it.  I’m mostly going off what people here are saying as to dumped. 

But the bread and butter of my point is, I think this research should be just as valuable as medical research. I’m not saying it hasn’t been treated as important just that we need much more recognition and resources sent their way. 

On 12/29/2022 at 5:24 PM, utenation said:

If there are other dirty details of why the ones mentioned in this thread were dumped, I don’t know those details and I don’t have the desire to research it.  I’m mostly going off what people here are saying as to dumped. 

But the bread and butter of my point is, I think this research should be just as valuable as medical research. I’m not saying it hasn’t been treated as important just that we need much more recognition and resources sent their way. 

On a societal level it is.  It's not included because it's not awarded on the basis of a competitive grant process the way other federal research (DoD, NASA, CDC, NIH etc) is.  It's almost always the result of political earmarking in the budget process.  So, yes, it's societally valuable; however the manner in which it's awarded doesn't meet the same criteria as other research.  That's at least my understanding why the AAU doesn't consider it.  I'm not sure what they do with private industry ag research dollars.  Do they try to separate that out and count it or just say "the hell with it." 

On 12/29/2022 at 6:16 PM, RebelAlliance said:

And the topic at hand is that Boise is still a blue turfed football team with a university attached to it...a university with severely misplaced priorities.  

Football is definitely now a focus since there hasn’t been any upgrades since the football facility in 2013 (other than video boards).  

While I was there (2011-2016) academic construction was non-stop.  

It’s funny how perception guides the arguments on this board. Boise raised $50+ million last year. I know Nevada is in that range.

But to put things in perspective… Cal Berkeley is in the middle of a $6 BILLION funding campaign. That’s with a B. Cal Davis raised $300+ million last year. Can you imagine if either of those programs gave 2 chits about sports?