Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at San Jose State - MWC opener - SJSU WON !!!

On 12/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

I am pleasantly surprised there is no overreaction thread started yet.  

I am going to attribute that as a mix of trust in Kruger, and a modicum of respect for this year's Spartan squad.

Slow starts from UNLV have happened a few times this season - Reb's can't start games down by 10+ & expect to come back & that isn't going to happen vs the better MWC teams 

Not playing the bench will hurt in games at altitude 

SJSU will bite some MWC teams this season - Miles can coach and he has some talent -- Spartans aren't the auto-win they have been I'm thinking 

On 12/29/2022 at 12:36 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

Our Big 3 of Gilbert, Harkless, and Rodriguez were all downright bad last night.  I don't think that will happen very often but all 3 of them have to get back in synch with the offense.  The three combined only got to the line once and they all shot terribly.  

Gilbert was otherworldly at the beginning of the year and we all kind of took his phenomenal efficiency for granted.  I knew the early season numbers he put up weren't sustainable, but he has fallen back to earth in a big way as I mentioned in earlier posts.  Maybe he is thinking too much about keeping his efficiency up because he is bricking shots that were automatic earlier in the year (running layups, open 3's, etc.)  

Harkless gave us a huge boost for most of the 2nd half but his play at the end of regulation and overtime doomed us.  I'm still shocked he was allowed (and it seems encouraged) to do that, it was simply bizarre.  Harkless has been an extremely poor 3 point shooter all year (25% from 3 on the year) yet has by far the most 3 point attempts on the team.  He shot it significantly better in previous years (over 32% at Oklahoma) but was never really his strong suit.  He has to be reigned in because he is no Bryce Hamilton.  Play within the offense; if EJ is allowed to do what he did at the end of last night's game it's not going to be the last game he loses us.

Rodriguez was invisible for the most part and wasn't very aggressive last night.  Puts up over 10 shots a game on the year but last night only put up 5.  

I hope the Rebels practice some team ball on offense the next few days because those 3 were straight up Butt last night.  

UNLV's "Big 3" vs. SJSU: 

14-40 FG (35%), 2-12 3P (17%), 1-1 FT, 5 turnovers

Rest of team vs. SJSU:

15-26 FG (58%), 5-10 3P (50%), 6-10 FT, 2 turnovers

We need our Big 3, obviously, but they were the difference in last night's game, offensively speaking.  

Good news is that we'll get Keshon Gilbert back for another year!  This is his first year where he's been a focal point.  He will be better next year.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:43 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

3rd time in the last 4 games the Rebels mailed it in at the very end of the game.

The scoring lulls have been fairly consistent form UNLV this season........that can be overcome against the lower end opponents, not sure that will happen in MWC games...............also could be a result of guys being gassed at the end of games -- Harkless for all his effort to get UNLV back into the game & in a position to win, he was flailing away at times in the last 3 minutes & OT 

On 12/29/2022 at 12:48 PM, UNLV2001 said:

The scoring lulls have been fairly consistent form UNLV this season........that can be overcome against the lower end opponents, not sure that will happen in MWC games...............also could be a result of guys being gassed at the end of games -- Harkless for all his effort to get UNLV back into the game & in a position to win, he was flailing away at times in the last 3 minutes & OT 

Kevin Kruger did not play enough players during non-conference play.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, ph90702 said:

They should be!

UNLV football belongs in the Big Sky!

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 12/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, King Spartan said:

Just like football! Clap clap, clap clap clap 

I see what you did there.

The Runnin' Rebs are back !

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/29/2022 at 12:53 PM, ph90702 said:

They should be!

Their Olys would be more competitive there. I like the idea of having them in the Conference for Football.

Americans Mayor

On 12/29/2022 at 2:11 PM, madmartigan said:

UNLV football belongs in the Big Sky!

They are right where they belong. As a guaranteed W for the upper half of the MW.

Americans Mayor

On 12/30/2022 at 12:09 AM, Rosegreen said:

Unless you are ranked in the top 5 nationally, right? 

When did that ever happen ?

Americans Mayor

On 12/30/2022 at 9:09 AM, Spaztecs said:

When did that ever happen ?

image.gif.d96a455f45a401f13679844332c35228.gif

“It took 27 games for San Diego State to finally falter. The Aztecs started the season 26-0 and were the nation's last remaining unbeaten team in Division I. 

That changed Saturday. SDSU's record is now 26-1. 

UNLV, a .500 team with no shot of making the NCAA tournament as an at-large bid, handed San Diego State its first loss of the 2019-20 season, fending off a furious rally to secure the 66-63 upset.” 

The Aztecs, ranked No. 4 in the Coaches Poll, could be in jeopardy of losing out on an NCAA tournament No. 1 seed thanks to their first résumé blemish.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2020/02/22/college-basketball-upset-unlv-stuns-san-diego-state-first-loss/4846776002/

Best SDSU team ever couldn’t beat a below average UNLV team. Ha!