Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VincentVegaBond

Rebel player transfering?

On 12/24/2022 at 2:39 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

New thread over on Rebel Net says an unnamed player is out. JJ3 perhaps? Smh....

https://unlv.forums.rivals.com/threads/player-in-the-transfer-portal.33872/

Jackie Johnson III would be my guess.  I wasn’t a huge fan of his at the time of his signing.  If you’re under six feet, you need to be DYNAMIC.  He’s not!

On 12/24/2022 at 4:02 PM, ph90702 said:

Jackie Johnson III would be my guess.  I wasn’t a huge fan of his at the time of his signing.  If you’re under six feet, you need to be DYNAMIC.  He’s not!

Yeah me too, I just have a feeling it's him but hope I'm wrong. He drives me nuts but has a significant role.

On 12/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, rebelcuff said:

Kid is getting tons of minutes. That would be disappointing. I figured Hall or Nowell.

He is 8th on the team in minutes at 14 per game and his minutes are down from last year at Duquesne. I think the 14 might is fine but he might think differently.

At least according to the Rebelnet posters it isn't a player with a big role. We will see....

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Sounds like it might be Hall, he’s not happy with being parked on the bench. Played sparingly in the SoMiss game. 

I know a lot of us wanted to see Hall get more minutes, but as we all know with CKK. It’s about defense. You have to play defense to get minutes or be a part of the rotation. 

The portal giveth and the portal taketh.

Theres a fine line these days between developing young players and bringing in 4th and 5th year players from the portal. Winning immediately or building slowly. Ultimately, the game is the teacher. You can practice all you want but if you’re not seeing the floor in games, you’re not developing. So I understand when players leave.

I hate to hazard a guess on who it might be at UNLV. So many things come into play. 

On 12/25/2022 at 3:05 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

The portal giveth and the portal taketh.

Theres a fine line these days between developing young players and bringing in 4th and 5th year players from the portal. Winning immediately or building slowly. Ultimately, the game is the teacher. You can practice all you want but if you’re not seeing the floor in games, you’re not developing. So I understand when players leave.

I hate to hazard a guess on who it might be at UNLV. So many things come into play. 

Kris Murray played 42 minutes as a freshman at Iowa.  He’s now a starter there, averaging 19.4 PPG, and a likely lottery pick.

On 12/25/2022 at 5:26 AM, 4UNLV said:

I’d bet the house it is Hall. Before the first game even, he tweeted that he really thinks he’s the best player out there. To not get any playing time can not be sitting well with him.

I don’t understand why he was brought in to begin with.  He doesn’t fit in defensively.

On 12/25/2022 at 6:40 AM, ph90702 said:

Kris Murray played 42 minutes as a freshman at Iowa.  He’s now a starter there, averaging 19.4 PPG, and a likely lottery pick.

Iowa is a developmental program. Only one transfer on the entire roster. I think Guys with minimal minutes in those kind of programs are more likely to stay.

Sounds like what ‘Jay Allen Tobar’ did at UNM. He wasn’t happy with all the minutes he was getting, even as a starter, so he hit the transfer portal too.

Self before team… not an uncommon theme in today’s college sports world.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 12/25/2022 at 5:26 AM, 4UNLV said:

I’d bet the house it is Hall. Before the first game even, he tweeted that he really thinks he’s the best player out there. To not get any playing time can not be sitting well with him.

Putting it that way you are probably right. If it's Hall it shouldn't affect this year's team much. He was probably pissed our bigs got manhandled in the 1st half last game yet he still didn't get much run.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Hall seems like he's not having any fun. He whooped on life pacific when he got to play some garbage time but Kevin isn't playing him for a reason. I'd obviously like to see him mature and become a beast as a Rebel rather than go someplace small and just get minutes with less discipline. I think maybe in 20 years when he looks back he'll think like me. Of course, this is based on me reading his situation correctly.

Keyshon Gilbert should be Keyshawn Hall's mentor.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:42 PM, Rosegreen said:

Sounds like it might be Hall, he’s not happy with being parked on the bench. Played sparingly in the SoMiss game. 

I know a lot of us wanted to see Hall get more minutes, but as we all know with CKK. It’s about defense. You have to play defense to get minutes or be a part of the rotation. 

With zero knowledge of the program my guess was the Hall kid. Based on how UNLV fans here talk about him and the little bit I’ve seen of him. It seems like he’s unhappy a lot of the time. 

As some have noted he doesn’t get much playing time for some reason. I don’t understand why Kruger wouldn’t put him in at least during those long scoring droughts that seem to occur at least once per game for UNLV. Maybe he’s not the best defender yet, but if he could provide you a scoring spark off the bench, why not utilize that? It seems unnecessarily stubborn to not play him based solely on buying into defense.

I could be completely off base, but that’s my impression. It would be too bad for UNLV because he did seem to have some promise, especially as a scorer on a team that seems to really need them. It also makes me wonder why Kruger would’ve recruited him if he doesn’t fit “his system” since we’re always hearing about what a great job Kruger does getting “his guys”. 

On 12/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, Ishoot2thrill said:

With zero knowledge of the program my guess was the Hall kid. Based on how UNLV fans here talk about him and the little bit I’ve seen of him. It seems like he’s unhappy a lot of the time. 

As some have noted he doesn’t get much playing time for some reason. I don’t understand why Kruger wouldn’t put him in at least during those long scoring droughts that seem to occur at least once per game for UNLV. Maybe he’s not the best defender yet, but if he could provide you a scoring spark off the bench, why not utilize that? It seems unnecessarily stubborn to not play him based solely on buying into defense.

I could be completely off base, but that’s my impression. It would be too bad for UNLV because he did seem to have some promise, especially as a scorer on a team that seems to really need them. It also makes me wonder why Kruger would’ve recruited him if he doesn’t fit “his system” since we’re always hearing about what a great job Kruger does getting “his guys”. 

Doesn't play much because he's a freshman and has a lot of room to grow, and currently have more competent players for those minutes. If he was patient he'd stick around, listen to coach and develop and improve his game. 

Can't be too hard on the guy cuz he's just a kid and kids are impatient but bailing on an 11-1 team mid-season is a bad look.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png