Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdw

MW Basketball, Sunday, Dec. 18

Couple of good games, couple meh today.

THE GOOD

UNM vs Iona, The Pit, 4:30 Mountain, FoxSports 1

Father-son, Jedi-Padawan, Sensei-student, call it what you will, this is going to be fun. Both Rick and Richard Pitino have been pumping this one up for a while. Even DickieV talked about it during the Kansas game yesterday. Richard Pitino (the Younger), didn't think his Lobos would be this far ahead of schedule right now, but took the home and home this summer to create excitement around the program. He's succeeded. Nearly full house expected and the faithful are pumped. Also, however, nervous. The win in Moraga vs. St.Mary's demonstrates the Bo's have game, but Iona offers a challenge they haven't seen thus far.

On paper UNM has a bit more talent, but it isn't a vast gap. Both teams like to go fast, Vegas has the Over at 150. The challenge for New Mexico is that Iona will press relentlessly, testing the backcourt. Actually a great gam for UNM as a prep for conference, especially against UNLV. 

You have a chance, watch this one.

Colorado State vs St.Mary's, Moraga, CA, 6:00 Mountain WCC Network

I'll leave it to Swoll to break this one down if he cares to. It could be good, it could be really bad. Which Ram team shows up? Slow start due to injuries, but The Superior Lifestyle has some game.

The Meh

Oakland visiting Boise State, 2:00 Mountain. MWC Network

Do I really need to say anything about this one? Vegas has Boise by 20. That's a lot of points. Broncs are that good.

Tarleton State at the United States Air Force Academy, 1:30 Mountain, MWC Network

Yes, I like to type "United States Air Force Academy". Don't know why, but if Tarleton holds a lead longer than that title I'll be dissapointed. Don't choke Zoomies. :) 

Tavi Jackson out for CSU (foot), and Jaylen Lake a gametime decision (shoulder).  RAMS are already struggling to find chemistry and rely heavily on those two.  I think  beating St. Mary's was going to be unlikely with a healthy roster, not much chance without one IMO.

On 12/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, baileyake said:

Far from a textbook performance but not too bad overall considering Shaver was out again. 

Two good things about these last few cupcake games were that they didn't hurt us in the major metrics (other than our overall SoS) and bench players were able to get extended PT and gain confidence.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:59 PM, jdw said:

MWC 2, St. Mary's 1

Nice dub, Rams.

Man, huge win for CSU over SMC. MWC rallies from a horrible 0-4 Saturday for a 4-0 Sunday. Only bad thing about UNM and CSU both beating St. Mary's on the road is that it takes a little shine off both those wins...although should still be Q1 road wins at the end of the year.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, KingBronco said:

Man, huge win for CSU over SMC. MWC rallies from a horrible 0-4 Saturday for a 4-0 Sunday. Only bad thing about UNM and CSU both beating St. Mary's on the road is that it takes a little shine off both those wins...although should still be Q1 road wins at the end of the year.

Both will certainly be Quad 1’s by seasons end. In CSU’s case, they’re  probably already behind the 8 ball. UNM is in great shape.

Only thing between UNM and an undefeated OOC is Prairie View (Tue. at the Pit). Did I mention it really sucks to be Prairie View right now?

On 12/18/2022 at 8:15 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Down two starters and they still found a way. Isaiah Stevens is pretty good.

He found a zone there for a while and showed why he gets the accolades.  Put the team on his shoulders and kept us alive.

Swoll, how about Kyle Evans development from his first game through tonight?  There's some future there.