Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Coldest Football Game You’ve Ever Attended….

On 12/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, Nevada Convert said:

….in honor of the Montana St vs. SDSU game tomorrow, inquiring minds want to know. 

Mine’s not that impressive….lots of Front Range folks will beat mine. It was a Nevada @ AF night game in November maybe 7 years ago. The temp. was about 16 deg F, wind blowing 20-30 mph continuous, and frozen gravel type hard pelts were coming down in numbers and hitting you in the face. Wind chill was probably around 0 or lower. 

2005 Fresno State vs Nevada in Reno. There was steam coming from the bushes from all the warm piss of people who didn’t want to wait the port a potty lines 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 12/16/2022 at 8:50 PM, tailingpermit said:

That was the year we were in Stueckle, right?

I think so, but that was the championship against Fresno. My buddy wanted to sit there. I really don't like the club seats. It's fecking boring up there. Suites are only fun for the bowl game, when you have less interest in the game. The loge seats are BY FAR the best in Stueckle. Open air, so you still get to be part of the environment, but with table service.

That NM Bowl tonight may be something special. Probably in the low thirties at kick, into the twenties by the end of the game with wind. I like me some footbawl, but I think I'll just wait til tomorrow and drive up for Iona.

The worst is when it is wet and cold.

I went to see the Aztecs and Utags up in Logan back in 2016. We had Indian Summer weather all week. Low 70's comfortable nights. Even gameday was in the 70's.

Late in the first quarter, then rain started and the temps plummeted as the cold front was moving through. By the time the game ended, temps were in the low 40's and we were soaked to the bone.

Despite the Aztec W, we were frozen popsicles.

The only time I was colder and wetter was when I was working the Ski Races up at Snowbasin. It was 35° and it rained heavily all day long. About every half hour you could make a fist with your gloves on and wring about a 1/4 cup of water out of them.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/16/2022 at 5:45 PM, madmartigan said:

67 degreees is too cold, 77 too hot. Tough crowd those SUDS fans. 

Being in my 60's now, I can concur with that statement.

Americans Mayor

On 12/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, utenation said:

This is the lightest powder I've shoveled in 10 years this week. 

I remember one powder storm in the 90's. I looked out the window at above the knee snow. I went into the garage and got dressed  opened the side door and plunged the shovel in with all my force only to fall on my face. There was just enough water in the snow to get it to fall.  I could not keep the snow on the shovel to throw it.

I ended using my broom and sweeping the snow off the walkway.

Americans Mayor

Utah vs. Wyoming in 2000. Night Game in Laramie with a 1-10 Pokes team.

Ron McBride agrees with me.

McBride’s Utah teams went 4-2 in Laramie during his 13 seasons. The one that sticks out most to him was the game in 2000.

“It was like 39 below zero and we kicked their ass in their own house,” he said of a 34-0 blanking that day in Laramie, which in reality was a balmy minus-11. “It was cold as s---t.”

https://7220sports.com/throwback-thursday-mcbride-was-tasked-with-beating-uw/

On 12/17/2022 at 10:55 AM, Spaztecs said:

The worst is when it is wet and cold.

I went to see the Aztecs and Utags up in Logan back in 2016. We had Indian Summer weather all week. Low 70's comfortable nights. Even gameday was in the 70's.

Late in the first quarter, then rain started and the temps plummeted as the cold front was moving through. By the time the game ended, temps were in the low 40's and we were soaked to the bone.

Despite the Aztec W, we were frozen popsicles.

The only time I was colder and wetter was when I was working the Ski Races up at Snowbasin. It was 35° and it rained heavily all day long. About every half hour you could make a fist with your gloves on and wring about a 1/4 cup of water out of them.

Wrong gloves.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Fresno State vs SDSU in Fresno in 1993. I don't remember the temperature. 

But a friend of mine won tickets (air fare, hotel, etc.) for tomorrow night's MNF game in Green Bay. Supposed to be about 10 degrees. Good luck to him. 

November 22, 2003 vs. New Mexico. I was in the marching band in Laramie. We couldn't play our instruments because the brass players' lips were freezing to their mouthpieces in our pregame walkthrough. We bundled up, sat in our normal band seats to support the team, and put on our liquid blankets to stay warm.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

UW-Utah in 2004, UW-UNM about 8 years later, a couple others I'm forgetting, probably. I remember going to a game and getting hot chocolate that went from "too hot to drink" to "lukewarm" to "1 ounce of frozen hot chocolate" in about 10 minutes that wasn't that UW Utah or that UW UNM game.

It isn't notably a "very cold" game until it's below -10. humid cold does indeed suck but once you get below 28 degrees it can't be humid cold any more because, well, physics. 40 degrees and humid cold is comparable down to about 15 but is just not the same as subzero temps that make your thigh bones hurt. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I've been to several really cold and  miserable games over the years.  Several have been mentioned here already...Fresno at Boise, we sat on the top deck and endured snow, sleet, rain and hail and got our butts whipped.  The Championship game vs Utah St in Fresno, probably the coldest game i've ever been to in Fresno. This years game in Reno was pretty damn cold too, game started at 7:30 and it was in the low teens by the end of the game.  But hands down and not even close.....The Fresno game at Reno in 2005!!  It was in the teens AND 20+ mph winds blowing!  Coldest I've ever been!  One of our buddies was so cold, he went to the bathroom in the 3rd quarter and stayed in there until the game ended!  BRRRRR!    

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

On 12/19/2022 at 7:46 AM, happycamper said:

... I remember going to a game and getting hot chocolate that went from "too hot to drink" to "lukewarm" to "1 ounce of frozen hot chocolate" in about 10 minutes

if you add an oz or 2 of 100 proof schnapps...you'll never have this problem

Maybe not the coldest...but I very much remember...

WYO vs. New Mexico.  2008-9 or something, it was a blur.  Started out "sunny" and about 60 degrees.  Thunderheads and heavy lightening / rain rolled in, and they removed all fans from the stadium, right before halftime.  Most of the fanbase left the stadium and proceeded to drink heavily.  Then the snow came, and the winds from Colorado, (still during the time the fans were "out") - and they let us fans back in.  Rain, Colorado winds, cold, heavy snow, and the loss - one of the coldest I have ever been, largely because we weren't ready or prepared for it.  

On 12/19/2022 at 7:46 AM, happycamper said:

UW-Utah in 2004, UW-UNM about 8 years later, a couple others I'm forgetting, probably. I remember going to a game and getting hot chocolate that went from "too hot to drink" to "lukewarm" to "1 ounce of frozen hot chocolate" in about 10 minutes that wasn't that UW Utah or that UW UNM game.

It isn't notably a "very cold" game until it's below -10. humid cold does indeed suck but once you get below 28 degrees it can't be humid cold any more because, well, physics. 40 degrees and humid cold is comparable down to about 15 but is just not the same as subzero temps that make your thigh bones hurt. 

I got a dare to run out and get my mail at the mailbox barefoot with shorts and t-shirt from a very warm house when it was -20 deg F, and that was pure pain. 

kat.jpg