Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Coldest Football Game You’ve Ever Attended….

….in honor of the Montana St vs. SDSU game tomorrow, inquiring minds want to know. 

Mine’s not that impressive….lots of Front Range folks will beat mine. It was a Nevada @ AF night game in November maybe 7 years ago. The temp. was about 16 deg F, wind blowing 20-30 mph continuous, and frozen gravel type hard pelts were coming down in numbers and hitting you in the face. Wind chill was probably around 0 or lower. 

kat.jpg

Ca 30°, winds 20-30 mph, sleet storm in Logan. The Ags entertained Ray Guy and Southern Miss. It was a messy, muddy, mess on the field. It was miserable in the stands. Cold and snow are fine. Cold and wind and sleet cut through you.

The Ags won on the last play of the game, blocking a punt into the end zone and falling on it for the go-ahead TD.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, Nevada Convert said:

….in honor of the Montana St vs. SDSU game tomorrow, inquiring minds want to know. 

Mine’s not that impressive….lots of Front Range folks will beat mine. It was a Nevada @ AF night game in November maybe 7 years ago. The temp. was about 16 deg F, wind blowing 20-30 mph continuous, and frozen gravel type hard pelts were coming down in numbers and hitting you in the face. Wind chill was probably around 0 or lower. 

College: would be Fresno St @Boise St from years ago (ended up being a blowout)

High School: a playoff game in Rathdrum, Idaho (Lakeland High School), it was under 10 degrees (started at around 4 degrees and warmed up to 7) and the field was so frozen it was playing on ice.

I was at the last CSU football game at their old stadium (sorry, I forget the name of it), and I even took a tumble walking to the stadium, on that uneven, weedy/grassy parking lot… just to add insult to injury… freezing cold that night too, and it had to be in the teens if not single digits, by the end of the game!

And though I don’t recall the year for that last season for CSU in that stadium, I think that was pretty close to the start of the sheep’s now long running unbeaten streak against Los Lobos?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Thanksgiving day high school game in Nashua NH back in 79. Don't remember the specific temp but it was a crystal clear night and the wind was howling. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Utah vs Colorado. 20 degrees and snowing at Rice Eccles. Still 40K.

And let's not forget those nasty 55 degree harsh blustery night games at the Murph in San Diego for Aztec games. Bone chilling. 27 people in attendance and the mfers would run out of hot chocolate before halftime. How dare they!! 

1991 Nebraska at Colorado.  It was 12 degrees at kickoff and the windchill was -8.  To top it off, the game ended in a tie.

Honorable Mention:  I was at the Leon Lett game on Thanksgiving 1993 for Dallas vs Miami.  I had been in Atlanta the Sunday before when the Cowboys had played the Falcons.  I didn't pay much attention to the long term forecast before I left for Atlanta.  I stayed a few extra days and then stayed in Vicksburg, MS the night before the game.  I drove into Dallas and it was snowing.  I didn't have any cold weather gear in my luggage, but a guy sold me a pancho in the parking lot for a $1.  I had tennis shoes, jeans, a short sleeve shirt and a windbreaker under that pancho.  The game got colder as it went on.  I think the weather was in the 20's, but it kept snowing.  When the field goal was blocked it looked like a sure Dallas win, but then Lett tried to grab the football and the Dolphins got another chance.  I was super cold the whole game and my feet might well have frozen from being wet in the low temperatures.  But like Dallas, I recovered.  The Cowboys never lost again that season and won eight straight for the Super Bowl title and I suffered no permanent damage.

November 18, 2000.  Miami of Ohio at UB.  Miami slogged out a 17-16 victory.  Was a grad student at UB at the time.  No idea what temperature it actually was, but it was VERY cold.  Two days later, this happened:

https://buffalonews.com/multimedia/november-storm-of-2000/collection_13ede4d3-ace0-5861-99b5-e05e865b5a84.html

On 12/16/2022 at 2:08 PM, NevadaFan said:

Nevada vs Miami in Boise, Spud Bowl. It wasn’t that cold, but for whatever reason I froze my ass off at that game. 

I believe that was the coldest game played in Albertsons Stadium at the time.

Surpassed by:

On 12/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, jewelz4562000 said:

When we played SDSU at home at it was like 4-6 degrees I believe.

2014 MWCCG. 9 degrees at kickoff. That’s the coldest I’ve been to. Was awful but a nice comback win for Boise.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:53 PM, AztecAlien said:

Utah vs Colorado. 20 degrees and snowing at Rice Eccles. Still 40K.

And let's not forget those nasty 55 degree harsh blustery night games at the Murph in San Diego for Aztec games. Bone chilling. 27 people in attendance and the mfers would run out of hot chocolate before halftime. How dare they!! 

The halls were strewn with the bodies of local Inuit guides, perished from head-to-toe frostbite. 

On 12/16/2022 at 2:25 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Surpassed by:

2014 MWCCG. 9 degrees at kickoff. That’s the coldest I’ve been to. Was awful but a nice comback win for Boise.

Uhhh. I don’t remember people talking about it as one of the coldest but that doesn’t surprise me. It was a beautiful night… other than my hands and feet were frozen to the bone, and Rowe’s pick at the end. I tried to drink them warm at the brewery just up the street and even that didn’t work. 

UNM v Wyo in ABQ, early nineties. Lots of snow, very cold, actually lost feeling in some toes. My boots felt like they had some lumps in them, freaked out a little when I got home. 

Honorable mention: had plans tickets to see Dolphins-Chiefs in Arrowhead, gametime it was -13 I don't recall the wind chill. I stood outside 5 minutes before getting in the car, turned it off, went inside. Game attendance was about 10k

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

In this country, went to a Green Bay Packers vs. NY Giants game in the middle of winter where there was snow all over the place and temp was in the teens with wind.

Overall, a Lokomotiv soccer (the real football) game in Moscow, Russia in late November where it was already in single digits.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Surpassed by:

I thought it got down to 3 by the end of the game. I had layers and ski gear on, so it wasn't that bad. I saw kids (young adults) in denim jackets and vans. They lasted about 20 minutes.