Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Francisco at UNLV

On 12/18/2022 at 2:14 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

UNLV still has a huge enrollment (over 31k students according to wikipedia) and I firmly believe with a decent product would have solid attendance regardless of pro teams. Not sold out T&M, but 12k to 15k. Build something they can be proud of, they will certainly come.

I've been saying this forever..after 1 loss on Saturday I saw 'fans' whining about UNLV sucks again. It's going to take a year or two of consistent winning to get the fans back, but they will come back.

On 12/19/2022 at 6:50 AM, 4UNLV said:

I've been saying this forever..after 1 loss on Saturday I saw 'fans' whining about UNLV sucks again. It's going to take a year or two of consistent winning to get the fans back, but they will come back.

Crazy. Every fan base has ‘em. 

On 12/19/2022 at 5:50 AM, 4UNLV said:

I love Vegas but a negative is there seem to be more bandwagon frontrunners here than most cities. Even if VGK stink for a few straight years I bet attendance would plummet there too. But a winner will bring them back. Kruger had consistent attendance in the Top 25 nationally cuz his programs were solid. Rice also brought in a lot of fans till everyone realized he couldn't coach. The tear down the Mack nonsense is ridiculous cuz we will easily be back if only we put a good (not even great) product out there.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/19/2022 at 8:01 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

I love Vegas but a negative is there seem to be more bandwagon frontrunners here than most cities. Even if VGK stink for a few straight years I bet attendance would plummet there too. But a winner will bring them back. Kruger had consistent attendance in the Top 25 nationally cuz his programs were solid. Rice also brought in a lot of fans till everyone realized he couldn't coach. The tear down the Mack nonsense is ridiculous cuz we will easily be back if only we put a good (not even great) product out there.

It's not nonsense.  When you can't sellout your arena, it's too big!

On 12/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, ph90702 said:

It's not nonsense.  When you can't sellout your arena, it's too big!

To me it’s more about building and fostering an environment that students want to be a part of. Transitioning UNLV from commuter school to on campus would be a game changer. 14k arena, state of the art and state of the art student residence and student centers/shops etc.

Everything should be first rate. Valuetainment is not the answer. 

UNLV as an institution have taken big strides forward over the past 20 years in all areas. New schools started, academics, gpa, sports facilities. Everything slowly and consistently accomplished to get us prepared to take the next step up. Even the 2 red headed stepchildren, FB and MBB, are finally getting some love from the Admin. Our facilities are still some of the best in the country and would be in about any conference. Beyond that both programs will need to build and maintain winning ways to build and maintain a significant fan base. People pay to see winners, losers you record to the watch later.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:50 AM, 4UNLV said:

Yeah. I expected if and when UNLV lost for there to be the typical responses. I have a buddy who’s a fan of UNLV I suppose, grew up and lives in Vegas but didn’t go to college. His immediate first response in a group thread, “Told you we sucked”. Lol

I think for fans it makes it easier to deal with the loses. Even though losing to WSU would’ve probably gotten the same response, I’m sure he’d rather lost that one than to USF. “At least it’s a PAC12 school” type thinking. We’ll see how things play out for all MWC teams over the course of the season. 

On 12/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, ph90702 said:

That will change.

In addition, cities will go bankrupt for suburbanization!

On 12/18/2022 at 4:10 PM, UNLV2001 said:

A reason that a move to a power conference would help UNLV ( UNR included) in the eyes of the average new locals that have little ties to anything concerning the universities 

On 12/18/2022 at 6:37 PM, renoskier said:

so...where are all the cities going bankrupt?

Other than starving for attention, I don’t get why ph wouldn’t just provide a source, but this concept isn’t novel or uniquely his own take. In planning and other areas it seems pretty well known. 

Here’s a short summary on the concept with links to 5 additional more in-depth articles on the topic. Similarly there’s info about why free parking is a bad idea for cities and tons of other things that I doubt anyone here is interested or believes in.

*Disclaimer: the author of the source I provided tends to lean on the more conservative side. Seems fairly centrist, but conservative in the sense of cautious. If that matters to you at all. 

On 12/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, Rosegreen said:

To me it’s more about building and fostering an environment that students want to be a part of. Transitioning UNLV from commuter school to on campus would be a game changer. 14k arena, state of the art and state of the art student residence and student centers/shops etc.

Everything should be first rate. Valuetainment is not the answer. 

I think this is the most important thing UNLV needs to do in the coming years.

Turn the campus into a special place. Whether it be clever landscaping, new resident halls, more initimate arena, the world's biggest video gaming hub in the student union, whatever.

Make it a place students want to go and stay.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:05 AM, Crsmitty04 said:

I think this is the most important thing UNLV needs to do in the coming years.

Turn the campus into a special place. Whether it be clever landscaping, new resident halls, more initimate arena, the world's biggest video gaming hub in the student union, whatever.

Make it a place students want to go and stay.

It will always be difficult to do in Vegas cuz the university isn't surrounded by nothing except corn fields and cow shit like Nebraska, Kansas, etc. There is a ton of stuff to keep students and alumni entertained off campus. 

That said most of the students I see at UNLV have pride in their school and would love to see their sports teams succeed.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/21/2022 at 8:26 PM, 4UNLV said:

Holy smokes, USF is up on ASU 65-25 with 14 minutes left in the game.

They are definitely not a bad team and seem to be hitting a stride. Still is no way in he'll we should have blown a 9 pt lead to them and lost after leading the game for like 39 minutes.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/21/2022 at 9:26 PM, 4UNLV said:

Holy smokes, USF is up on ASU 65-25 with 14 minutes left in the game.

This game is a brutal slaughter. I wonder what the NCAA record is for largest loss by a ranked team to an unranked team. Whatever it is, I'm guessing it may be broken by the time this game is over.

On 12/21/2022 at 9:50 PM, lobo81 said:

USF up 80-35!!

Looking like a good win for UNM:popcorn:

Crazy five days for the Dons.. they come from behind to beat UNLV, lose to Texas Arlington at home two days later, then take the Sun Devils to the shed with an amazing beat down last night.