Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

OT: Mike Leach

On 12/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Well done

I used to always sit in the rear jump seat that was facing the cars behind us in a station wagon just like that with the wood sticker panel and trim around it, as if wood should be an integral part of a car. I’d go stand at the back of the station wagon and my dad would roll down the window and I’d climb in. 

There was only one problem with that routine…. I was only like 7, and I was too short for him to see my head when I’d be standing back there. 

One weekend in July we were checking out a small ski area up in the Sierra’s in the middle of nowhere. The sun was setting and we decided to head home which was a few hours away. I stood at the back waiting for him to roll down the window…..but he started the car and drove away. I thought it was a joke and he was trying to scare me, and I was waiting for him to turn around.

I went from laughing to crying in about 10 minutes. He thought I’d already gotten in, and then thought I was sleeping back there on the way back since it was dark. 

There was like no moon, it was extremely dark, and there was all kinds of scary noises in the forest and my imagination was really getting the best of me. I would’ve loved to have had one of those little dinosaurs in my hand. 

Hours went by and a Bronco drove by and saw me. Luckily they were nice people and took me to the Rangers Station miles away. My parents came back and were horrified that they couldn’t find me. Later in December, that was the best Christmas ever. Talk about nice toys! 

kat.jpg

On 12/13/2022 at 3:46 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I used to always sit in the rear jump seat that was facing the cars behind us in a station wagon just like that with the wood sticker panel and trim around it, as if wood should be an integral part of a car. I’d go stand at the back of the station wagon and my dad would roll down the window and I’d climb in. 

There was only one problem with that routine…. I was only like 7, and I was too short for him to see my head when I’d be standing back there. 

One weekend in July we were checking out a small ski area up in the Sierra’s in the middle of nowhere. The sun was setting and we decided to head home which was a few hours away. I stood at the back waiting for him to roll down the window…..but he started the car and drove away. I thought it was a joke and he was trying to scare me, and I was waiting for him to turn around.

I went from laughing to crying in about 10 minutes. He thought I’d already gotten in, and then thought I was sleeping back there on the way back since it was dark. 

There was like no moon, it was extremely dark, and there was all kinds of scary noises in the forest and my imagination was really getting the best of me. I would’ve loved to have had one of those little dinosaurs in my hand. 

Hours went by and a Bronco drove by and saw me. Luckily they were nice people and took me to the Rangers Station miles away. My parents came back and were horrified that they couldn’t find me. Later in December, that was the best Christmas ever. Talk about nice toys! 

This explains so much.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:51 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

The irony is OU lost that game, 38-28.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Seriously. Do you know how brilliant you have to be to just pull that answer out of your ass off the cuff? There will never be another Mike Leach. 

A beautiful mind to be sure. He was one of those guys who could have made a living on stage with no material, just asking audience members questions and riffing for hours.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Seriously. Do you know how brilliant you have to be to just pull that answer out of your ass off the cuff? There will never be another Mike Leach. 

Sorry mom and dad, but I don’t really want to be a lawyer. I’m gonna go coach football in Finland.

We need a kicker? Grab the kid that made one in a promotion. (Kid proceeds to make every extra point)

We need a captain? All he really does is call the coin toss. Let’s go with the kid that almost won the price is right.

These are all things that happened.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 12/13/2022 at 3:13 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sorry mom and dad, but I don’t really want to be a lawyer. I’m gonna go coach football in Finland.

We need a kicker? Grab the kid that made one in a promotion. (Kid proceeds to make every extra point)

We need a captain? All he really does is call the coin toss. Let’s go with the kid that almost won the price is right.

These are all things that happened.

Choosing the captain based on his experience in the price is right is amazing. And he then went on to commend him on his record for coin toss wins. Unbelievable. 

On 12/13/2022 at 3:06 PM, RSF said:

The irony is OU lost that game, 38-28.

Wasn’t OU a huge underdog? The fake play sheet got them spotted a 17-0 lead. What more can you ask for from that kind of subterfuge?

After he got fired from Texas Tech he bought a house in Key West. My ex (who is a teacher) had one or two of his kids in her class. I’d see him and his wife four nights a week after they left the Green Parrot. So many questions asked, and he was happy to answer, like his small cue card of offensive plays. We became good friends, one of my favorite characters that I ever met in Key West.