Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Washington State vs UNLV at MGM Grand Garden

Rewatching the game as usual. People talk about the Rebs defense being chaos but it is actually very disciplined. All of that discipline starts and runs through the starters especially EP. LuRod picking up the EP role took him out of his game offensively. JJ3’s and Web’s energy were really needed. EP has a few weeks to recover (I hope) before we will really have to have him on the floor for SDSU.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:01 AM, ph90702 said:

The only part of town missing an arena is Summerlin!

I liked the idea I read of a new MLB indoor ballpark where the Tropicana hotel sits that would be used for the A’s and the National Finals Rodeo. Make it about 28,000 seats and first class so the rodeo will never leave.

UNLV gets them out of our T&M so we can knock it down and put an On-Campus 40,000 seat Football Stadium where T&M is located.

UNLV and Mark Davis (Aces) build new 10,000-12,000 seat all luxury Basketball arena at Trop/Koval on land that UNLV owns.

PAC-12

On 12/11/2022 at 9:54 AM, quickdraw said:

Yep the #1 concern for UNLV right now should be the piss poor facilities that they play in. That’s where I would earmark the next $600 million.

If we don’t focus on a plan to update our UNLV facilities we own, we will end up playing in Allegiant (nightmare municipal monstrosity) and in either T-Mobile or the new NBA Arena that is built.

Not that these options are the end of the world, but what I am suggesting is a lot better.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:00 AM, RebelRobert said:

If we don’t focus on a plan to update our UNLV facilities we own, we will end up playing in Allegiant (nightmare municipal monstrosity) and in either T-Mobile or the new NBA Arena that is built.

Not that these options are the end of the world, but what I am suggesting is a lot better.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

When UNLV NOW was killed by the MGM that was the end of a game changer in facilities. There won’t be any public money to even be considered until the Allegiant is well on its way to being paid for and the 10 year rights agreement comes back into renegotiations. Come up with a quick $600m and we’ll talk. Start a dedicated thread and you’ll get 50 pages though.

On 12/11/2022 at 10:14 AM, quickdraw said:

When UNLV NOW was killed by the MGM that was the end of a game changer in facilities. There won’t be any public money to even be considered until the Allegiant is well on its way to being paid for and the 10 year rights agreement comes back into renegotiations. Come up with a quick $600m and we’ll talk. Start a dedicated thread and you’ll get 50 pages though.

The T&M was built using tax revenue from slot machines and that same revenue has been used for refurbishing the T&M. UNLV already owns the land at Trop/Koval. If Mark Davis puts in $150 million and UNLV puts in $150 million we can build a very very nice first class luxury Basketball facility on that spot. UNLV can likely raise $100 million from the slot machine tax and another $50 million from the sale of Sam Boyd Stadium + 62 acres of land.

The new On-Campus Football Stadium should be bullt the same way SDSU did it. $350 million in bonds to build a 40,000 seat stadium On-Campus with a long term view of keeping the stadium for 100-200 years and updating it as time goes.

UNLV will get naming rights money, students can pitch in another $50 million in new fees. Boosters/Alumni can be on the hook for $50 million and the LVCVA and the state can throw in some cash also. It can and should be done.

This is the proper way to run an athletics department.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:31 AM, RebelRobert said:

The T&M was built using tax revenue from slot machines and that same revenue has been used for refurbishing the T&M. UNLV already owns the land at Trop/Koval. If Mark Davis puts in $150 million and UNLV puts in $150 million we can build a very very nice first class luxury Basketball facility on that spot. UNLV can likely raise $100 million from the slot machine tax and another $50 million from the sale of Sam Boyd Stadium + 62 acres of land.

The new On-Campus Football Stadium should be bullt the same way SDSU did it. $350 million in bonds to build a 40,000 seat stadium On-Campus with a long term view of keeping the stadium for 100-200 years and updating it as time goes.

UNLV will get naming rights money, students can pitch in another $50 million in new fees. Boosters/Alumni can be on the hook for $50 million and the LVCVA and the star can throw in some cash also. It can and should be done.

This is the proper way to run an athletics department.

Yep that all sounds reasonable except for the Mark Davis putting in any money let alone $150m. He expects his power and connections to get him a near free ride. 

Then there is the part of building a facility designed for 100 to 200 years of use. I’m a retired contractor so I understand a bit about construction but we won’t go there when you are talking about tearing down an ancient T&M at 40 years old that is in great condition having just had the major mechanicals and electrical systems upgraded as well as sound and graphics systems. T&M also connects to the Cox and Close enough to Mendenhall to affect that facility. Those 3 facilities proximity to each other works very efficient for the program. Move everything? Onto a Mark Davis property?

I’m all with you to get UNLV NOW back moving again but you don’t need to go scorched earth to make that happen. An on campus 35,000 seat stadium with retractable roof. Combined with student apartments, restaurants and green space. Combine that into the north side of the T&M complex and we’d have a winner wrapped around a great student experience.

On 12/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, quickdraw said:

Yep that all sounds reasonable except for the Mark Davis putting in any money let alone $150m. He expects his power and connections to get him a near free ride. 

Then there is the part of building a facility designed for 100 to 200 years of use. I’m a retired contractor so I understand a bit about construction but we won’t go there when you are talking about tearing down an ancient T&M at 40 years old that is in great condition having just had the major mechanicals and electrical systems upgraded as well as sound and graphics systems. T&M also connects to the Cox and Close enough to Mendenhall to affect that facility. Those 3 facilities proximity to each other works very efficient for the program. Move everything? Onto a Mark Davis property?

I’m all with you to get UNLV NOW back moving again but you don’t need to go scorched earth to make that happen. An on campus 35,000 seat stadium with retractable roof. Combined with student apartments, restaurants and green space. Combine that into the north side of the T&M complex and we’d have a winner wrapped around a great student experience.

I don’t care how Mark Davis (LV Aces) get the money ($150 million). If someone gives it to him or if it is naming rights or whatever combined methods he uses, just come up with his half of the money for the Arena (LV Aces). UNLV owns the land and will always own the land. Mark Davis spent quite a bit on practice facilities for the LV Aces and Raiders so he does NOT always expect a free ride.

Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State etc. all build Football Stadiums with the intention of using them for hundreds of years. UNLV should be no different. We need an On-Campus open air Football Stadium that is 40,000 seats. UNLV Now failed because it was a terrible idea that was doomed to fail from the minute they released it. Worst idea I ever read in my entire life. Morons came up with that idea.

Cox, Mendenhall and T&M should all be leveled for the good of the long term outlook of the Athletics Department. Basketball belongs at Koval/Trop near the strip in modern day facilities that are properly sized for our program going towards 2030!

UNLV Football belongs On-Campus like every major program in the country. I found the perfect spot!

On 12/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, RebelRobert said:

I don’t care how Mark Davis (LV Aces) get the money ($150 million). If someone gives it to him or if it is naming rights or whatever combined methods he uses, just come up with his half of the money for the Arena (LV Aces). UNLV owns the land and will always own the land. Mark Davis spent quite a bit on practice facilities for the LV Aces and Raiders so he does NOT always expect a free ride.

Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State etc. all build Football Stadiums with the intention of using them for hundreds of years. UNLV should be no different. We need an On-Campus open air Football Stadium that is 40,000 seats. UNLV Now failed because it was a terrible idea that was doomed to fail from the minute they released it. Worst idea I ever read in my entire life. Morons came up with that idea.

Cox, Mendenhall and T&M should all be leveled for the good of the long term outlook of the Athletics Department. Basketball belongs at Koval/Trop near the strip in modern day facilities that are properly sized for our program going towards 2030!

UNLV Football belongs On-Campus like every major program in the country. I found the perfect spot!

RR’s white whale is Koval & Trop. Go get your white whale Ahab.

Keshon Gilbert scored a career-high 25 points and EJ Harkless added 20 as the UNLV men's basketball team (10-0) defeated Washington State 74-70 Saturday afternoon in the Las Vegas Clash at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

The Runnin' Rebels are off to their best start to a season since the 1990-91 team won their first 34 games.

Gilbert was 10 of 15 from the field, including 2 of 5 on 3-pointers, while collecting a team-high five rebounds, three assists and three steals. Harkless was 7 of 18 from the field.

The Cougars (4-5) had three players score in double figures, led by TJ Bamba's 20 points on 7 of 11 shooting, including 4 of 6 from long distance. Mouhamed Gueye added a game-high eight rebounds.

MASSIVE RUN: UNLV started the game slow offensively as Washington State built a nine-point lead at 11-2. With the Cougars leading 13-4, UNLV then went on an 18-0 run over four minutes with five different Runnin' Rebels scoring during the stretch to give themselves a 22-13 lead.

CLOSE FINISH: UNLV led 33-30 at the half and although it built a 12-point advantage with seven minutes to go in the game, Washington State cut it to three points a couple of times late.

DEFENSE AGAIN: As the Runnin' Rebels have shown all season, defense was their calling card again on Saturday. UNLV forced Washington State into 22 turnovers, marking the seventh time this season that a UNLV opponent committed at least 20 miscues. UNLV came into the game ranked No. 2 in the country in forced turnovers. The Runnin' Rebels also recorded 12 steals, which is a category that they rank in the nation's top 10 in. It marked the sixth time that they have tallied at least 10 swipes in a game.

QUOTABLE: "I thought it was a great fight by our guys. I felt like we played a lot of that game at Wazzu's pace and their temperament, but I thought we did a good job of creating enough momentum swings in our direction to where we had favor in the way the game was going. It was a little more up and down which our guys do better at. When the game is moving, we are able to get turnovers, run and get good offensive looks that way. Washington State shot the ball really well and they do a really good job of finding the open guy and when you've got that many that can make plays and shoot it and make some of the shots they did today, that's what's probably going to happen. We just have to continue to get better in those situations and watch the film to see how a step here or a step there could make our life a lot easier or potentially a lot harder." - UNLV head coach Kevin Kruger.

OTHER NOTES:
- UNLV only committed seven turnovers.
- WSU shot 61.1% from the field in the first half, finishing the game at 54.2%.
- The Cougars made 13 3-pointers, shooting 56.5% for the game from long distance.
- UNLV finished the game at 50.9% from the field.
- Washington State outrebounded UNLV 33-20.
- UNLV shot twice as many free throws as Washington State did (16-8).
- UNLV scored 31 points off of turnovers and 21 points on fastbreaks.
- UNLV's bench outscored Washington State's 19-7.
- It was just the second all-time meeting in men's basketball between the two schools. UNLV now leads the series 2-0 and is 63-64 all-time vs. teams that make up the Pac-12.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,171 straight games.

NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will have a week off before hosting San Francisco in its next game at the Thomas & Mack Center on Saturday, Dec. 17 at 2 p.m.

PAC 12 Basketball Arenas

Arizona - McKale Center 14,655  - Opened February 1 1973

Arizona State - Desert Financial Arena 14,198 - Opened April 29, 1974

California - Haas Pavilion 11,858 - Opened January 13, 1933

Colorado - CU Events Center 11,064 - Opened November 8, 1979

Oregon - Mathew Knight Arena 12.364 - Opened January 13, 2011

Oregon State - Gill Coliseum 9,604 - Opened December 16,1949

Stanford - Maples Pavilion 7,233 - Opened January 3, 1969

UCLA - Pauley Pavilion 12,829 - Opened June 11, 1965

USC - Galen Center 10,258 - Opened October 12, 2006

Utah - Huntsman Center 15,000 - Opened November 30, 1969

Washington - Hec Demundson Pavilion 10,000 - Opened  December 27, 1927

Washington State - Beasley Coliseum 12,000 - Opened June 3, 1973

UNLV - Thomas & Mack Center 17,926 - Opened December 16, 1983 

So based on the existing PAC12 arenas.........tell me why the T&M is so outdated and miserable compared to the PAC arenas that are up to 94 years old, 89 years old, 72 years old with most of the rest being 50+ years old 

On 12/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, UNLV2001 said:

PAC 12 Basketball Arenas

So based on the existing PAC12 arenas.........tell me why the T&M is so outdated and miserable compared to the PAC arenas that are up to 94 years old, 89 years old, 72 years old with most of the rest being 50+ years old 

We are looking to be better correct? Not just average like they are.

Only one can be the best and I expect that to be UNLV.

I think we have a case to be made right now that our Football and Basketball facilities are better than 90% of what they have in the PAC-12. That still isn’t good enough. UNLV should far and away have the best facilities and work towards that goal every day.

I don’t particularly agree with leveling Cox and Medenhall. T&M yes. You can replace it with a UNLV now style basketball arena. 10-14k arena. With the competition for bookings and filling dates for arenas in Las Vegas, UNLV should look into utilizing space for a state of the art on campus facilities/dorms/apartments  and shops FOR students, beautiful landscaping and buildings instead of a concrete jungle that is the parking lots for the Mack. Somewhat similar to the T-Mobile setup. 

If you could transition UNLV from commuter school to an on campus culture, you’d have easily the best atmosphere in the country at the new Arena. That was the whole point of UNLVnow, and really, you don’t need all the bells and whistles, it’s more about developing a culture where it’s the place to be, being surrounded by people that give a shit about the school. 

On 12/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, RebelRobert said:

We are looking to be better correct? Not just average like they are.

Only one can be the best and I expect that to be UNLV.

I think we have a case to be made right now that our Football and Basketball facilities are better than 90% of what they have in the PAC-12. That still isn’t good enough. UNLV should far and away have the best facilities and work towards that goal every day.

Cool Rob, great platitudes. We also want facilities to find the cure for cancer, right?

Now go get the $600 million. With the current state of construction that will be $700 million before the plans are drawn. That is the kind of money you use to dramatically change the direction and student experience on the campus and not just go build a luxury box so you can be a social media star on twitter. 

On 12/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, UNLV2001 said:

PAC 12 Basketball Arenas

There's a lot to unpack in this to have an honest discussion.

The Mack isn't miserable, it's just currently not optimal for our program.  It's a lot like a big indoor mall that was built in the 80s.  It just doesn't make sense anymore and it's kind of weird in there now.   

I'll just talk about the defense.

Yes it's disciplined. As much as it could be. The problem I see with it, and the key to beating it, is that once you double any player it puts your defense into a scramble to find and close to the open shooter. WSU had the right idea in the 2nd half, but didn't have true post scoring to pull it off.

That scramble is what 99.999% of defenses try to avoid. Mostly because shooters get lost and contests come late. Most defenses seek to guard mano e mano and make the defense shoot over the top.

This is really one of the first defenses I've seen that traps every team and teaches the scramble. WSU exploited it early, but they lacked a few things to keep it going. Post scoring and quality depth.

I think suds, usu, unm and possibly wyo all play styles that can and might exploit the defense in spots. The hustle, quick athletes, depth, discipline and consistency in this CKK trap and scramble defense is simply something that many teams cannot deal with. Most teams aslo don't have the roster makeup to pull it off themselves.

Rebs are 10-0, but we're all pretty much still waiting for the competition to pick up to see if this is a deep run team or if the wheels fall off this thing once mwc play starts.

On 12/11/2022 at 1:36 PM, quickdraw said:

So what are the problems with the T&M other than we don’t fill it up and the concessions suck?

What problem can’t be fixed short of tearing it down?

If the capacity is an issue for UNLV, then the easiest thing to do would be wall or curtain off the top half of the upper deck........that would cut capacity to more in the 12,000 range......no major construction, no demolition & the seating is there if it's ever needed.

The entire complex has the Cox, the practice facility & offices.........plus the NBA uses the various courts just fine for the summer league where two games can go on at the same time with available workout / practice space.........it's like a HQ for USA basketball.

The T&M isn't the problem, it's the management of the UNLV BB program over the last number of years that's the problem 

If UNLV wants to burn $600M to a Billion $$ then start buying out the old houses & apartments that run from Tropicana south to Russell Rd......that's a large area for dorm and campus expansion that would be a better use than old beater apartments & decaying 1972 era houses