Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Residential Solar: is it worth it?

I think it would probably be worth it where I’m at, but I don’t think I would actually get panels unless I can afford to purchase them outright instead of lease them. So, I’m probably never getting them lol.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, azgreg said:

Here's the story. We went with a company called Vivant Solar (now Sunrun) about 6 years ago. We had two goals: lower our bill and be hassle free.

We ended up with a plan where they own the panels and we buy electricity from them at a set rate for 20 years, approx $110 a month. After 20 years we have options. Renew for another 20 years, buy the panels, or just have them removed.

Prior to the panels we were on an equalizer plan with APS for about $250 a month. Without the equalizer summer peaks would be in the $350-375 range.

Our last bill from APS was for $35.

Thanks, We just bought in North Phoenix and are already dreading the summer bills.

Have you needed to work with the company for any repairs or other issues? How was their support?

On 12/8/2022 at 12:28 PM, bornontheblue said:

Probably true for Arizona. 

In Idaho electricity is relatively cheap. 

My electricity bill averaged out is probably around 75 dollars a month. The payback period just to recoup my money  on a 25,000 investment in solar equipment  is 28 years!!. Hard Pass. Why these sales people even waste time in Idaho is beyond me. 

I can invest that in an IRA and come out way ahead over 28 years. 

and your power is 100% hydro anyway, right? so there isn't even an environmental angle to consider. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 12/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

Thanks, We just bought in North Phoenix and are already dreading the summer bills.

Have you needed to work with the company for any repairs or other issues? How was their support?

My next door neighbor was having $500 electric bills during the summer. No idea why. She doesn't have a pool, jacuzzi, or extra freezer in the garage or anything.

As for maintenance, they monitor the system 27/7/365 through a wifi link. If there's an issue they call me and tell me they're coming out. There's nothing I have to do.

If I have an issue with the roof they'll come out and store the panels during the repair then come out and reinstall them for a few hundred bucks.

People, not a fan.

Here is something else for homeowners to consider. Sometimes solar companies/contractors place a lien on the title of your home to secure their assets that you didn't purchase.  I've ran into this several times doing loans. The issue is, if you go to refinance your first mortgage and there is a 2nd lien from the solar company, that second lien would now move into first lien position and not the new refinance loan.

Some solar companies are great to work with and will subordinate their lien to stay in second position, so you can refinance your 1st mortgage with no issue. But I've had some that will not budge on releasing their position and say tough shit. 

So just be aware and ask questions before you pull the trigger.  And not all of them place a lien on your property but some do. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:03 PM, RamSack said:

I’ve always liked the idea of getting solar, but a roofer recently told me that solar adds something like 5-15k to the cost of a new roof because they have to remove it, then put it back on the house after they replace the roof and not all roofers will do it, especially if they’re busy (ie after a bad hail storm). 

This plus it's just new penetrations into your roof which is always something to be very, very cautious about.

An additional consideration to the lease is that you are basically giving a right of way to a third party to your roof to maintain their equipment that you are leasing.

I have heard some horror stories about insurance issues when workers get injured. Have also heard horror stories about having to have roofs or electrical panels replaced because the companies didn't know WTF they were doing, or had installations mixed up.

My primary advice, if you are going to go with solar, is never go with someone going door to door. Do your research and pick out the best contractor working in the area.

Having worked closely with building permit folks in a local gov jurisdiction, you have to be very careful about who you go with. Lots of fly-by-night companies out there (at least in the LV area). And it would not be a bad idea to have a lawyer friend look at any contracts and leases before you sign. Make sure you know what you are getting into.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:43 PM, SharkTanked said:

This plus it's just new penetrations into your roof which is always something to be very, very cautious about.

An additional consideration to the lease is that you are basically giving a right of way to a third party to your roof to maintain their equipment that you are leasing.

I have heard some horror stories about insurance issues when workers get injured. Have also heard horror stories about having to have roofs or electrical panels replaced because the companies didn't know WTF they were doing, or had installations mixed up.

My primary advice, if you are going to go with solar, is never go with someone going door to door. Do your research and pick out the best contractor working in the area.

Having worked closely with building permit folks in a local gov jurisdiction, you have to be very careful about who you go with. Lots of fly-by-night companies out there (at least in the LV area). And it would not be a bad idea to have a lawyer friend look at any contracts and leases before you sign. Make sure you know what you are getting into.

You think you are pretty smart don't you?

Leonardo Di Caprio Meme GIFs | Tenor

On 12/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, happycamper said:

and your power is 100% hydro anyway, right? so there isn't even an environmental angle to consider. 

Pretty much. Although I think that in peak demand times Idaho Power buys on the open market and has natural gas auxiliary plants. 

On 12/8/2022 at 12:38 PM, utenation said:

Here is something else for homeowners to consider. Sometimes solar companies/contractors place a lien on the title of your home to secure their assets that you didn't purchase.

In our case the remainder of the 20 year contract would be included on the sale of the house.

People, not a fan.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, madmartigan said:

Loaded question I know. I had a few sales reps come to my door yesterday and pitch me on it. Energy prices arent too high here. Curious if someone might enlighten me the variables they’d consider when thinking about such a purchase.

Thanks in advance. 

Don’t lease it, buy it outright.  

On 12/8/2022 at 3:54 PM, bornontheblue said:

Pretty much. Although I think that in peak demand times Idaho Power buys on the open market and has natural gas auxiliary plants. 

That was the weirdest thing about living in Idaho, my power bill going down during the summer.  

That and it still being light out past 10pm.   

On 12/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, RamSack said:

I’ve always liked the idea of getting solar, but a roofer recently told me that solar adds something like 5-15k to the cost of a new roof because they have to remove it, then put it back on the house after they replace the roof and not all roofers will do it, especially if they’re busy (ie after a bad hail storm). 

Cost me 500.00 to have my panels put back on.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/8/2022 at 3:37 PM, tailingpermit said:

Also, your HOA (if you have one) May fight you on the installation. Had a friend that simply got a letter from the energy company stating this was how many panels that was needed and they got the ok.  

HOA's legally not allow to prevent solar panels.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:00 PM, tailingpermit said:

But they may have say of how many you can have as it effects the look of the neighborhood. 

All they can do is ask for schematic of the panels then rubber stamp it.

Edit: it could be a state-by-state thing.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:35 AM, Someone Else said:

My experience says it depends on where you live.... how much electric power you use, how much your panels will generate and what kind of deal the electric company in your area gives you.  I live in Socal and friends who put solar in years ago have a much better deal than I do with the electric company.  Solar works for me mainly because I have an electric car and use a bunch of power.... however, the deal the electric company gives me changes every year >> in their favor.

I would love to get off the grid with battery use but batteries are stupid expensive and don't store enough to make it worthwhile.  Govt rebates made it cheaper but I'd definitely research the deal your electric company will offer you before doing anything... and don't let the solar sales person tell you what the electric company will do, i've found my solar guy doesn't understand it (probably because they change it all the time.)

I think batteries may change with Solid State batteries and change the calculation.  But I agree we need a step function in battery tech.