Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DestinFlPackfan

RIP Mills Lane

Met him once, very nice man. Soft thoughts to family and friends.

Famous Ref that was also a very good boxer. Refereed my Dad when he boxed for Nevada.

he officiated my friend's wedding...

started the proceedings by asking the the groom if he understood "this is a life sentence" and after my buddy nodded yes, Mills yelled "then let's get it on!" 

Good times...a great Reno personality

He was famous as a referee at the big fights. Including the bizarre fight where Tyson bit Hollyfields ear.  Mills won a NCAA boxing championship for Nevada.  He was a DA & then a municipal Judge for many years in Reno.  He was a no nonsense guy with a big sense of humor.  Very popular in town for many years.  RIP Mills Lane.

Mills Lane was a legend.  He was there for the glory days of boxing when HBO had huge boxing cards with multiple stars fighting on the same night.  Then pay per view took over.  Mayweather killed the sport with his mega fights, many that were duds as he aged and searched for the right opponent.  Not only was the money not worth it, but promoters figured out fans would pay for crap undercards too.  So they made even more money by not paying for better fighters.  And that model took over the sport.  But in the late 80s and 90s, early 2000s, HBO had a completed different model.  That's when Tyson and Holyfield roamed the heavyweight ranks, guys like Barrera, De la Hoya, Pacquiao, Tito, Whitaker, Morales, Tszyu, would fight multiple times because protecting an undefeated record wasn't as important as being the best and fighting the best.  Even Mayweather in his prime, before the huge cards, was fun to watch.  To this day, I don't think anything matches the HBO productions from those days.  And Mills Lane was right in the middle of all of it.  Great ref and i'll miss his fights.  Let's get it on!

On 12/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, Rev McQuervo said:

Met him once, very nice man. Soft thoughts to family and friends.

Famous Ref that was also a very good boxer. Refereed my Dad when he boxed for Nevada.

Me too.  I attended a wedding in Virginia City, NV he officiated.

Successful career in Law in Reno as well.  He was a judge there.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, alum93 said:

Mills Lane was a legend.  He was there for the glory days of boxing when HBO had huge boxing cards with multiple stars fighting on the same night.  Then pay per view took over.  Mayweather killed the sport with his mega fights, many that were duds as he aged and searched for the right opponent.  Not only was the money not worth it, but promoters figured out fans would pay for crap undercards too.  So they made even more money by not paying for better fighters.  And that model took over the sport.  But in the late 80s and 90s, early 2000s, HBO had a completed different model.  That's when Tyson and Holyfield roamed the heavyweight ranks, guys like Barrera, De la Hoya, Pacquiao, Tito, Whitaker, Morales, Tszyu, would fight multiple times because protecting an undefeated record wasn't as important as being the best and fighting the best.  Even Mayweather in his prime, before the huge cards, was fun to watch.  To this day, I don't think anything matches the HBO productions from those days.  And Mills Lane was right in the middle of all of it.  Great ref and i'll miss his fights.  Let's get it on!

Unfortunately boxing popularity has dropped way off. I remember watching the Friday Night Fights with my dad. Mills Lane was a cool dude.