Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Hawaii vs UNLV at DLC in Henderson NV

On 12/7/2022 at 11:32 PM, toonkee said:

Guys and gal, I learned a hard truth tonight. 5k fans is not the problem. It was really fun in there. The size and outdatedness of the t&m is the problem. 

This is what I have been saying for awhile now. T&M is 40 years old. UNLV needs a new ARENA on-campus (Koval/Tropicana) and we should partner with the LV Aces on a first class facility right behind MGM Grand on UNLV Land.

We can build a 10,000-12,000 seat Arena with first class seating and luxury boxes. Build a big time student section and have all of the modern amenities.

Trop/Koval. UNLV owns it!  Mark Davis is a Billionaire and wants to build the Aces a new Arena.

On 12/8/2022 at 3:34 AM, RebelRobert said:

This is what I have been saying for awhile now. T&M is 40 years old. UNLV needs a new ARENA on-campus (Koval/Tropicana) and we should partner with the LV Aces on a first class facility right behind MGM Grand on UNLV Land.

We can build a 10,000-12,000 seat Arena with first class seating and luxury boxes. Build a big time student section and have all of the modern amenities.

Trop/Koval. UNLV owns it!  Mark Davis is a Billionaire and wants to build the Aces a new Arena.

You never met an Arena or stadium that you didn’t want to tear down at UNLV. 

Game last night Hawaii had their way. They wanted to slow down the game and make it ugly and we let them. No problem if we learn from it. Wide swinging wing to wing passes, breakdown the interior defense with drives into the key and then shoot with both bigs crashing the boards or dish to a big. It worked somewhat all night but not enough. The officials were making cheesy calls all night, nothing consistent and killing the flow. It was physical and ugly but really never in question. I appreciate Hawaii showing us something different.

A few guys got in foul trouble early so CKK needed to run some different rotations. EP was taken off the court early and often. DLC has a good atmosphere, food was limited but good, but prices high. 9-0, next.

F976BC75-6284-4F42-A1A1-32D83943F7E7.jpeg

Maybe you've been right about everything all along. 

I'd go smaller though. 7-8k. Loud, intimate, hard core. 

They could just use existing parking in the T&M to build the new arena.  Then when it's done, convert the T&M into parking.

The only thing wrong with the T&M is that the operators don’t know how to run the facility. They are so worried about spending or losing a buck they cheap out. Good changes made this year on ticket pricing and season ticket sales but concessions still suck and there is zero reason for it other than the operation team being afraid to invest in making a change. Ice is the new unneeded expense, really? One place in there made good stadium food but then decided that chopped onions were an unnecessary expense. They loose $20-$30 every game now because I wont buy their food without the onions.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:05 AM, toonkee said:

Maybe you've been right about everything all along. 

I'd go smaller though. 7-8k. Loud, intimate, hard core. 

So like the Zags did, and now their fans can't get a ticket. And we're back to the convention center days. I think I'll disagree with that one, lol.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:37 AM, 4UNLV said:

So like the Zags did, and now their fans can't get a ticket. And we're back to the convention center days. I think I'll disagree with that one, lol.

Zags have nothing to compete with in their market though. Just skeptical we get back to filling up the mack or being as consistently good as Gonzaga to be honest. Hope to God I'm wrong.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:37 AM, 4UNLV said:

Just as ridiculous as the last 10 times Rob and PH wanted to tear something down. That property on Trop seems to bother RR just sitting there empty. I hope we never build on it except class and facilities buildings.

The T& M is 45 years old not 40. It has gone through regular upgrades over that timespan. To say that it is outdated is just anther play for attention.

D5776322-2B95-48DE-B8E7-AD26EFCDDE7A.gif

On 12/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, toonkee said:

Zags have nothing to compete with in their market though. Just skeptical we get back to filling up the mack or being as consistently good as Gonzaga to be honest. Hope to God I'm wrong.

The T$M never has been a problem. The play on the court is what sells tickets. Think about how exciting it would be at Gorman’s gym with a TJO team? The last 2 times ticket sales have increased were both times when we had a coach named Kruger. I’m more worried about UNLV screwing around with this Kruger hire than I am about the T&M regaining the great atmosphere it was built for. People show up and cheer when there is something worth showing up and cheering about. If CKK can continue with a good trajectory we’ll see by the end of next year if anything with the admin and athletic department has changed.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, quickdraw said:

The T$M never has been a problem. The play on the court is what sells tickets. Think about how exciting it would be at Gorman’s gym with a TJO team? The last 2 times ticket sales have increased were both times when we had a coach named Kruger. I’m more worried about UNLV screwing around with this Kruger hire than I am about the T&M regaining the great atmosphere it was built for. People show up and cheer when there is something worth showing up and cheering about. If CKK can continue with a good trajectory we’ll see by the end of next year if anything with the admin and athletic department has changed.

I've been to every game this year. Not sure ticket sales have increased yet, or at least to any meaningful amount. But I think it will take a while.  It's not a switch you can throw and make everybody get back. There's a momentum to this.   

Yes, I understand winning is the number 1 factor in attracting more fans and no amount of new or different arena will change that, however people don't go to Aviator games because they live and die with the wins and losses. The park is nice, the food is good and it's an all around pleasurable experience. I don't think I'm crazy to say the T&M has lost that edge. Last night was the most fun at a game this year by far. It just fit. If that was the product, UNLV bball would be a hotter ticket imo.

On 12/8/2022 at 4:33 AM, quickdraw said:

Game last night Hawaii had their way. They wanted to slow down the game and make it ugly and we let them. No problem if we learn from it. Wide swinging wing to wing passes, breakdown the interior defense with drives into the key and then shoot with both bigs crashing the boards or dish to a big. It worked somewhat all night but not enough. The officials were making cheesy calls all night, nothing consistent and killing the flow. It was physical and ugly but really never in question. I appreciate Hawaii showing us something different.

A few guys got in foul trouble early so CKK needed to run some different rotations. EP was taken off the court early and often. DLC has a good atmosphere, food was limited but good, but prices high. 9-0, next.

F976BC75-6284-4F42-A1A1-32D83943F7E7.jpeg

Thanks for posting the stats.  Hawaii's shooting woes continue.  Ganot thought he had a assembled a group of crack three-point shooters this season but all of the starters are struggling to make open shots from behind the arc.  If they had knocked down the expected 35% of their three-point attempts instead of 21% it would have been a ball game.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, toonkee said:

We filled it up when the population was 400k, now we have 2.5 million.  And VGK/ Raiders fans can be UNLV fans too. 

The point is moot if we roll out the product of the last decade. Might as well play in Cox Pavilion if that is the case. Build a solid program which it looks like Junior is doing, and ppl will come.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, toonkee said:

I've been to every game this year. Not sure ticket sales have increased yet, or at least to any meaningful amount. But I think it will take a while.  It's not a switch you can throw and make everybody get back. There's a momentum to this.   

Yes, I understand winning is the number 1 factor in attracting more fans and no amount of new or different arena will change that, however people don't go to Aviator games because they live and die with the wins and losses. The park is nice, the food is good and it's an all around pleasurable experience. I don't think I'm crazy to say the T&M has lost that edge. Last night was the most fun at a game this year by far. It just fit. If that was the product, UNLV bball would be a hotter ticket imo.

I think attendance has been low cuz of our last decade track record and the mostly cupcake opponents we played. The Dayton game had under 10k but it was a loud and fans were highly engaged. I love the Mack, it's a great college arena and like I said even with 12k or so it's a great atmosphere in there.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 12/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, toonkee said:

My point is that facilitates haven’t been a problem for MBB. RR coming here to stir his little troll stick doesn’t change that. 

I just deleted 3 paragraph when it hit me that RR starts these things about every year to troll his own so called fellow fans. It’s ludicrous and so is talk about tearing down a $400m facility to build a smaller $200m facility. That’s UNLV business math at it’s finest 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:41 PM, 4UNLV said:

Even in the first couple of years of the Dave Rice era, we were averaging 15-16,000, were we not? And it was fun in there. I'd rather start winning again to the point it brings fans back (and it will bring fans back).

And what would do with the T&M? And NFR?

I went to a lot of games in both, sometimes right down on Gucci Row, lol, the convention center was certainly fun, and at the time we thought it was big. But once the T&M was built, it was insanity. That place was wild in those first 10 years, with 20,000 fans packed in. Yes, I know, we are never expected to get those fans back, cause pro sports, but before we tear down the T&M for a 8000 seat arena, I'd like to see what happens if and when we start winning again. The fans didn't go away because of pro sports, they left because the basketball was pathetic.

There's no reason to tear down the T&M & replace it with a smaller arena - It's fine and offers the area another large venue ........as I said above the main reason for the large capacity was for the LVCVA landing major events & even then they screwed up by making the floor space so small with the first 10 to 15 rows of seats / concrete go all the way to the floor level (gladly they fixed & changed that during construction to host more events) 

UNLV needs to modify their seating / ticket prices to reflect the changing sports landscape in the area..........offer various ticket prices for all lower bowl seats and offer upper deck anywhere for a general admission cheap price 

If UNLV can get back to winning & bringing in better opponents the fans will return.............for one thing UNLV tickets are cheap compared to NFL & NHL and there's more people than ever to take UNLV up on a good deal.

UNLV's attendance numbers by year    chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf

1984 15,779 #6 in the nation of the top 25 in attendance

1985 14,435 #9 .....New Mexico was #4

1986 16,123 #6 ....New Mexico was #4

1987 18,251 #6 

1988 17,634 #7

1989 18,031 #7

1990 17,859 # 6

1991 18,658 #5

1992 15,595 #12..... New Mexico #11

1993 13,385 #21 .....New Mexico #7

1994 to 1997 unranked 

1998 #13 14,028

1999 #21 13,347

2000 to 2008 unranked

2009 #22 13,446

2010 #18 13,917

2011 #23 13,253

2012 #17 14,025

2013 #14 15,196

2014 #22 13,125

2015 to 2018 unranked 

People forget New Mexico used to be top 10 attendance - How the Lobos have fallen off .........but UNM remained top 10/15 for years after UNLV fell out of the top 25 in attendance 

On 12/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

I think attendance has been low cuz of our last decade track record and the mostly cupcake opponents we played. The Dayton game had under 10k but it was a loud and fans were highly engaged. I love the Mack, it's a great college arena and like I said even with 12k or so it's a great atmosphere in there.

Lot of Dayton fans were there

For the first time in its 65-year existence, the Runnin' Rebels played a game in Henderson Wednesday night and in doing so, improved its record to 9-0 this season to mark their best start in 12 years.

Four players scored in double figures for the UNLV men's basketball team as it defeated Hawaii 77-62 at The Dollar Loan Center.

Luis Rodriguez led all scorers for the second straight game with 18 points, while grabbing seven rebounds with two steals, while Justin Webster and Keshon Gilbert each scored 13, and EJ Harkless added 10. David Muoka scored nine points with game highs of nine rebounds and three blocks.

The Rainbow Warriors (5-3) were led by Kamaka Hepa's 15 points, while Beon Riley contributed 12 points and a team-high eight rebounds.

THE TURNING POINT: UNLV closed the first half on a 17-4 run to take a 41-22 lead at the break. UNLV led by as many as 21 points early in the second half.

SINGLE DIGITS IN THE SECOND HALF: Hawaii cut its deficit to single digits late in the second half (7:25), but Rodriguez made back-to-back 3-pointers and later stole the ball, finishing with a dunk to make it a 65-51 game about a minute later.

FORCING TURNOVERS: UNLV ranks No. 1 in the nation in forcing turnovers. The Runnin' Rebels forced Hawaii into 18 miscues, marking the ninth straight contest that UNLV's opponent has committed at least 17 turnovers.

3-POINT GOAL: UNLV shot 62.5% on 3-pointers in the first half (5 of 😎 and finished the game at 44.4% (8 of 18).

QUOTABLE: "Overall, the guys did what they've been doing. Did a great job of guarding people, creating a little bit of a cushion in the first half which ended up becoming the difference in the game. That's become their M.O. - a relentless defensive presence in the first half and when you're playing against teams that have a lot of pride, they make it interesting. We knew that, we expected it and we knew Hawaii was going to make a run. But our guys did what they needed to - turned it up a notch at the end and I think we were pretty fortunate to come away beating a very good Hawaii team." - UNLV head coach Kevin Kruger.

OTHER NOTES:
- It was UNLV's seventh straight win against the Rainbow Warriors and improved its all-time record in the series to 25-9.
- UNLV held Hawaii to just 2 of 14 (14.3%) on 3-pointers in the first half and 6 of 29 for the game (20.7%).
- UNLV outscored Hawaii by 11 points at the free-throw line (23-12).
- Gilbert added team highs of four assists and three steals.
- Rodriguez (3 of 7) and Webster (3 of 4) each made three 3-pointers on the night.
- UNLV scored 21 points off turnovers, compared to Hawaii's 12 off of UNLV's 13 miscues.
- UNLV led in fastbreak points 18-2.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,170 straight games.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:50 AM, quickdraw said:

Just as ridiculous as the last 10 times Rob and PH wanted to tear something down. That property on Trop seems to bother RR just sitting there empty. I hope we never build on it except class and facilities buildings.

The T& M is 45 years old not 40. It has gone through regular upgrades over that timespan. To say that it is outdated is just anther play for attention.

The only thing outdated is RR thinking that the UNLV basketball program is what it used to be and that the days of the T&M being sold out every game are going to be common place. Vegas isn’t what it used to be and the Runnin Rebels are no longer the only game in town and if and when the NBA and MLB come to town, it’s just gonna be that much more difficult for the Rebs to get a piece of that spectator pie.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:50 AM, quickdraw said:

Wrigley Field has been renovated too!  But it's still outdated.