Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV hires Barry Odom, cousin of Lamar.

On 1/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, madmartigan said:

You'll get someone that fits better and doesn't sleep with everyone on staff. 

hey hey hey now.... he only sleeps with interns 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 1/4/2023 at 3:00 PM, ph90702 said:

Poop, feces, scat, dung, crap, excrement, duty, stool, shit, droppings, waste, manure! 💩

You're taking this pretty hard, numbers.

UNLV took a shot. It didn't work out. No way anyone could have saw this happening when you hire a high character guy like BP. 

Go have a nice hot bowl of rabbit stew and relax.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, DobyZhee said:

+++++ you Reno Inbreds. Dude the Kapernick effect will screw you guys in the long run. Ain’t nobody gonna play for your shitty program.

meanwhile we bolt for the Crack-10 and you will be relegated to community college status.

Hey ph… do you have a sibling?

On 1/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, DobyZhee said:

+++++ you Reno Inbreds. Dude the Kapernick effect will screw you guys in the long run. Ain’t nobody gonna play for your shitty program.

meanwhile we bolt for the Crack-10 and you will be relegated to community college status.

bring it Doby!

post more

On 1/4/2023 at 9:35 PM, PackNation said:

You're taking this pretty hard, numbers.

UNLV took a shot. It didn't work out. No way anyone could have saw this happening when you hire a high character guy like BP. 

Go have a nice hot bowl of rabbit stew and relax.

Stuart wants to be petted, not eaten!

Scherer Comes Aboard As Defensive Coordinator

New UNLV football head coach Barry Odom on Thursday officially announced Mike Scherer as the program's defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.  

Scherer (SHEER) comes to Las Vegas fresh from helping Arkansas win last week's AutoZone Liberty Bowl over Kansas. As the Razorbacks linebacker coach, he served as interim defensive coordinator for head coach Sam Pittman after Odom's departure for UNLV in early December.

"We are thrilled to welcome Mike to Las Vegas," said Odom. "He is an elite defensive mind who has a great understanding of our defensive system. His experience as a student-athlete and then as a coach will be valuable to the foundation of our program at UNLV. His position group produced All-Americans for consecutive years and his knowledge of our defense and understanding of the development of student-athletes makes Mike an ideal fit to serve as our defensive coordinator, which is imperative to our team's success."

Scherer, 29, spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach for the SEC school.

"Coach Odom recruited me out of high school and I've been with him as a player, a GA, an analyst, an assistant and now a coordinator," said Scherer. "I know first-hand that he's a great leader of young men and I am grateful to be in position to help him continue that here at UNLV. I'm excited for the opportunity and can't wait to get started building an aggressive, attacking-style defense while helping develop student-athletes on and off the field."

In his two seasons overseeing the Razorback linebackers, Scherer produced sometimes stunning results from his position group. In 2022, the Hogs featured AP First Team All-American Drew Sanders, who is projected as a first round NFL Draft pick after becoming the program's first-ever Butkus Award finalist. In 12 games, Sanders led Arkansas in tackles (103), tackles-for-loss (13.5), sacks (9.5) and forced fumbles (3). The First Team All-SEC linebacker joined Khalil Mack of Buffalo (2013) as the only two FBS players since 2000 to post 100 or more total tackles, at least 13 TFL, nine sacks, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and an interception in the same season. This year's LB group also featured All-SEC performer Bumper Pool, who finished as the school's career leader with 441 total tackles, as well as Freshman All-America team member Chris "Pooh" Paul. 

During his first year overseeing the position in 2021, Scherer produced one of the best linebacker corps in recent memory. Grant Morgan would win the Burlsworth Trophy and Pool led the team and ranked third in the SEC in total tackles with a career-best 125 stops. Morgan and Pool teamed up with Hayden Henry to complete a tackling trio with all three making 100-plus tackles and giving Arkansas half of the top six tacklers in the conference. Scherer's linebackers helped improve an Arkansas defense that allowed 84 yards less in 2021 than 2020, including 39 fewer yards per game rushing, and shaved 12 points per game off the team's average compared to the previous campaign.

Initially serving as a defensive analyst under Odom in 2020, Scherer first stepped into an on-field coaching role for a game week that fall when Odom served as head coach during Pittman's absence due to Covid-19.
Scherer began his coaching career in 2019 as a graduate assistant at Missouri under then-head coach Odom before both moved to Fayetteville.

A native of St. Louis, Scherer played linebacker at Mizzou from 2012-16, totaling 266 tackles, 17 TFL, one sack and one interception, seeing action in 38 games over his four-year career. A knee injury limited him to seven games as a senior after posting back-to-back seasons of 90-plus tackles to rank second on the team each season.

Scherer graduated with a bachelor's degree in business from Missouri in 2016.

SCHERER'S COACHING FILE
2023-PR        UNLV – Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers
2022               Arkansas – Interim Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers
2021-22          Arkansas – Linebackers
2020              Arkansas – Defensive Analyst
2019               Missouri – Graduate Assistant

On 1/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, ph90702 said:

He's not getting $2 million per year.

TA&M offered Garrett Riley that for 3 years to try and get him away from TCU.  I wouldn't be surprised if Petrino is getting that.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper