Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV hires Barry Odom, cousin of Lamar.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, just_chris said:

We've also gone down that road and failed.... Bobby Hauck was a can't miss FCS guy and he missed 

Hauck came from a program already deep in success at Montana. Jay Hill built up the program at Weber St to be what it is today. They were a long time .500 school with an occasional good season, that only made the Playoffs four times and ranked in the Top 25 six times through their 60-year history.

Under Hill, they have made the FCS Playoffs 6 of the last 9 seasons including finishing ranked in the FCS Top 25 six times, five times finishing in the Top 10. This year they finished 9/10th in the FCS Regular Season Rankings

On 12/6/2022 at 10:06 PM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Hauck came from a program already deep in success at Montana. Jay Hill built up the program at Weber St to be what it is today. They were a long time .500 school with an occasional good season, that only made the Playoffs four times and ranked in the Top 25 six times through their 60-year history.

Under Hill, they have made the FCS Playoffs 6 of the last 9 seasons including finishing ranked in the FCS Top 25 six times, 5 times in the Top 10. This year they finished 9/10th in the FCS Regular Season Rankings

None of that matters, it's UNLV

I moved to Vegas the year they hired John Robinson and even he could barely find success. UNLV could hire Bill Bellichick, with Norv Turner as his OC , Marvin Lewis as his DC with Dan Marino as their QB and Lawrence Taylor as his Linebacker and they'd struggle to win 4 games. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 12/6/2022 at 10:11 PM, just_chris said:

None of that matters, it's UNLV

I moved to Vegas the year they hired John Robinson and even he could barely find success. UNLV could hire Bill Bellichick, with Norv Turner as his OC , Marvin Lewis as his DC with Dan Marino as their QB and Lawrence Taylor as his Linebacker and they'd struggle to win 4 games. 

I mean yeah…Marino and LT are both about 1000 years old these days…probably would struggle against the younguns…lol

On 12/6/2022 at 5:51 PM, UofMTigers said:

lets just say I'm glad we got Mike Norvell. He's the real deal. hell, I want Fuente back.

Mike was the only reason ASU had early success. The P12 network used to have a show called The Drive. Basically Hard Knocks.

Mike was creative, good with kids and knew his shit, especially as a younger guy back then. I knew he would be a HC right away. Best thing for him was to get away from Graham.

Not surprised to see this guy climb the ladder in CFB.

On 12/6/2022 at 11:40 PM, kingpotato said:

He was there for one season, and they went 1-7 in conference... coming off back to back division titles. You're hanging your hat on that?

That 2015 Mizzou team was like the 2022 Denver Broncos: the offense was almost completely at fault for the poor overall record.

I think if you look closely at the situations he inherited as a DC at both Memphis and Arkansas, you can see that he turned them around within a couple of seasons. As a head coach at Mizzou, the defensive stats were not nearly as impressive, but a lot of that was due to the fact that the offense was high tempo under Josh Heupel and they didn't pay any attention to time of possession. He also made a bad hire as DC initially and once that was rectified in game 3 of his second season things improved as he began to call the defense himself.

On 12/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Jokes aside, this doesn’t seem that bad a hire. He’s young and experienced running a big program.

image.gif.bb00495d3b2eec772d418171b750a415.gif

On 12/6/2022 at 11:39 PM, bigd said:

Honestly I think this is a great hire for UNLV. It’s easy to be underwhelmed when you’re hearing unrealistic names, but I think he’ll do well. 

ew now RENO fans are supporting it

THAT DOES IT I HATE ODOM

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 12/7/2022 at 1:21 AM, Mizzou Man said:

That 2015 Mizzou team was like the 2022 Denver Broncos: the offense was almost completely at fault for the poor overall record.

I think if you look closely at the situations he inherited as a DC at both Memphis and Arkansas, you can see that he turned them around within a couple of seasons. As a head coach at Mizzou, the defensive stats were not nearly as impressive, but a lot of that was due to the fact that the offense was high tempo under Josh Heupel and they didn't pay any attention to time of possession. He also made a bad hire as DC initially and once that was rectified in game 3 of his second season things improved as he began to call the defense himself.

So, the reason they weren't very good was because they had the reigning SEC COTY as their OC? 🤨

On 12/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, ph90702 said:

I think it’s realistic to expect 6-7 wins in year one.  Arroyo recruited talent to the roster.  They’re a little short in depth, but that can be solved through the portal.

It's never realistic to expect UNLV to win 6-7 games in any year.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, ph90702 said:

They won five games last year, and the schedule is very favorable this year.

And they've won 6-7 games in a season, what, once in the last 20 years? I'm guessing you could count on your own hands how many times it's happened in their history.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:38 AM, kingpotato said:

And they've won 6-7 games in a season, what, once in the last 20 years? I'm guessing you could count on your own hands how many times it's happened in their history.

I’m not here to talk about the past!

On 12/6/2022 at 11:46 PM, Rebels18 said:

ew now RENO fans are supporting it

THAT DOES IT I HATE ODOM

Well it’s not Urban Meyer or Tarkanian. But now that everybody can pay players openly, a Meyer will never coach at a school like UNLV. Ever.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

OK.....so this wasn't the sexy hire.  This wasn't a name that was thrown around, but Coach Odom checks all the boxes that UNLV was looking for.  Relatively young coach, age 46, with a ton of experience.  Former SEC head coach and currently a SEC defensive coordinator with one of the best defensives in that league.  This is completely the opposite of what got with Arroyo.  While both were P5 coordinators when hired, we are going from a PAC-12 OC whose fanbase was glad to see him go to a SEC DC whose fanbase know they lost a good one.   This was a really smart hire looking at it 24 hours later.   Now who he brings on the staff, how he recruits the portal and the west coast will determine a lot of his potential success.  This seems like a good hire.  I'm ready to give him a legit chance to turn this around.