Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV hires Barry Odom, cousin of Lamar.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, AztecMD said:

What about the guy that was on a significant three-year trajectory of wins? No good?

Arroyo took a 4 win team given to him then turned into a 0 win team. After three years he was at the same place Sanchez was but Arroyo had Allegiant, Fertitta, NIL and transfer portal. He was 7-23 and had no support with local HS coaches or admin. 

You aren't here. You aren't a fan of UNLV. You have a very limited view from the outside. You don't know what you are talking about. 

On 12/6/2022 at 3:32 PM, AztecMD said:

Ok, good luck.    As an outsider I think your AD is a f**^ing idiot but you never really know how new hires turn out.  

You keep talking trajectory and this team was a play away from being 4-8, just like his predecessor’s last season. If New Mexico didn’t blow it, he probably would’ve been fired sooner. 

Covid year was a throw away as even great programs had historically poor seasons.  When you had limited summer training, fall camp, and sometimes a couple days to prepare for an opponent you can pretty much throw that Sedona out the window.  

Long time.... just checking in to say this hire sucks

It's like they went out trying to find the most mediocre coach with SEC ties and hired him

He was bang average at Mizzou, isn't a great recruiter, has ZERO ties to the West Coast and Arkansas had one of the worst defenses in the SEC. Near the bottom in every single category. Blown out multiple times, lost to Liberty, lost to Texas A&M just a real head scratcher by this school yet again. 

I'm not saying they should have hired Ed Ogeron but come on... it's like the curse of Dez bears another fruit. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 12/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, Wolverine said:

Shouldn't 25-25 in the SEC equate to at least 35-15 in the MWC?  Rebel fans should be overjoyed with this hire.

Honestly, if dude goes 25-25 in three years he would be the most successful coach at UNLV in 45 years.  Plus, that would have to translate into at least 2 bowl games, which would be something no other UNLV coach has been able to do.  Every other coach UNLV has had only played in 1 bowl game.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV really needs a defensive coach.  The defense always seems to be the low light of the team.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, Rosegreen said:

I'm really interested to see if Robbins sticks around.  He was a beast this year.  If he sticks around it is going to take a ton of pressure of whoever plays QB next year.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:49 PM, HoosierRebel said:

Honestly, if dude goes 25-25 in three years he would be the most successful coach at UNLV in 45 years.  Plus, that would have to translate into at least 2 bowl games, which would be something no other UNLV coach has been able to do.  Every other coach UNLV has had only played in 1 bowl game.

UNLV really needs a defensive coach.  The defense always seems to be the low light of the team.

I'm really interested to see if Robbins sticks around.  He was a beast this year.  If he sticks around it is going to take a ton of pressure of whoever plays QB next year.

Didn't he already enter the portal? He'll have big opportunities elsewhere.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, just_chris said:

Long time.... just checking in to say this hire sucks

It's like they went out trying to find the most mediocre coach with SEC ties and hired him

He was bang average at Mizzou, isn't a great recruiter, has ZERO ties to the West Coast and Arkansas had one of the worst defenses in the SEC. Near the bottom in every single category. Blown out multiple times, lost to Liberty, lost to Texas A&M just a real head scratcher by this school yet again. 

I'm not saying they should have hired Ed Ogeron but come on... it's like the curse of Dez bears another fruit. 

Hey, long time since you've been here, don't be such a stranger, although I know you're busy.

And yeah, I'd have liked Coach O.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, AztecMD said:

I admit that I am not close to UNLV program but you guys are freaking morons for firing a coach that was on the upward trajectory.

Disagree.  Freaking morons for firing a coach that was on the upward trajectory without a better option already lined up.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:56 PM, quickdraw said:

Re-recruiting the team should have started today if Odom was at the team meeting. If not he’ll be here tomorrow. Then hiring  staff and recruiting current commits before the 21’st. 

So far Brumfeld and Darious Johnson are on board.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:57 PM, SharkTanked said:

Feels like meet the new boss same as the old boss.

But it was about what I expected. 

Hope he does well.

Realistically........It's UNLV and UNLV FB - The odds of landing a "NAME" was a reach unless that name is a guy trying to rebuild his career from a crash & burn, or an old guy looking to pad his retirement accounts (John Robinson) ...........we pretty much have to take anyone who seems decent with the way program has been for the last 35 years.

Granted the UNLV FB program is in the best position it's even been in, all except in the W-L area..........so see what this guy can do.

UNLV BB might carry a bit more cache' & name recognition and names on that side are always more towards the known entity