Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

UNLV hires Barry Odom, cousin of Lamar.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, masterfrog said:

The 2019 UNLV record. It took him three years to get back where he started. 

And it would have been different under Sanchez?  Starting over is starting over.  And 2020 screwed with a lot of schools.  Have fun trying to start rebuilding a program under those conditions.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, madmartigan said:

If anyone is qualified to speak about terrible head coaching hires in football, it would be a CSU fan. 

Exactlg. That’s why I know it’s bad 

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

On 12/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, mundyc3 said:

I really like this hire. Only question is the staff he gets to recruit the west coast. 

With the transfer portal every year, does it matter about regional high school recruiting, especially for MWC programs ------ The big P5's will scoop up 95% of the major HS recruits ......UNLV & MWC will look to the portal to fill holes 

On 12/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, Rosegreen said:

While at Mizzou as HC, he had Huepel & Ryan Walters (broyles finalist). He can put together a good staff. 

Yep. The ultimate reason that things didn't work out for him at Mizzou was after Heupel got the UCF job, he was turned down by multiple OC candidates and had to settle for Derek Dooley. 

He's sort of a weird geographic fit in Las Vegas. Barry's from OK, went to college at Mizzou and his spent his entire coaching career in the states of Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

I am excited to see what he can do at UNLV and am happy as a Mizzou fan that we don't have to see him on the other sideline each year even though we went 2-1 against his defense.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:13 PM, madmartigan said:

If anyone is qualified to speak about terrible head coaching hires in football, it would be a CSU fan. 

I want to argue, but...

I don't know.. hard to win in the SEC, especially at Mizzou of all places. We've had assistants, FCS, high school coaches, time to try something different. Better get a west coast recruiter in fast. But, the portal is open.

It is what it is.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, UNLV2001 said:

With the transfer portal every year, does it matter about regional high school recruiting, especially for MWC programs ------ The big P5's will scoop up 95% of the major HS recruits ......UNLV & MWC will look to the portal to fill holes 

You know why they always seem to be building new high schools?  Because there are more kids.  The HS player pool isn't shrinking.  The number of D1 prospects is only expanding.  G5's will never keep up with the P5's, but then again we never have.  What the G5's can get is their fair share of good HS players, and the higher rated kids from the P5 that were overrated, didn't get to play, and move down a level.  A smart G5 coach can do just fine in the portal by picking up that 4* that turned out to be a high 3* after all.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:27 PM, Wolverine said:

Shouldn't 25-25 in the SEC equate to at least 35-15 in the MWC?  Rebel fans should be overjoyed with this hire.

Yeah, with SEC talent.  He doesn't have that anymore.

I have no inside knowledge really, but I think there is a better than 50/50 chance he brings in Arkansas LB coach Michael Scherer. Don't know if he will be DC or Co-DC but he played for Barry at Mizzou and will be offered the chance to go there. Also a decent chance he offers Arkansas quality control assistant Jake Trump an on field position as well.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, 4UNLV said:

I don't know.. hard to win in the SEC, especially at Mizzou of all places. We've had assistants, FCS, high school coaches, time to try something different. Better get a west coast recruiter in fast. But, the portal is open.

It is what it is.

What about the guy that was on a significant three-year trajectory of wins? No good?

On 12/6/2022 at 3:23 PM, Mizzou Man said:

I have no inside knowledge really, but I think there is a better than 50/50 chance he brings in Arkansas LB coach Michael Scherer. Don't know if he will be DC or Co-DC but he played for Barry at Mizzou and will be offered the chance to go there. Also a decent chance he offers Arkansas quality control assistant Jake Trump an on field position as well.

The Hog boards seem resigned to the fact Scherer is gone, the SEC isn’t for rookie DC’s. 

On 12/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, AztecMD said:

What about the guy that was on a significant three-year trajectory of wins? No good?

What about him? As I said, it is what it is, and all the complaining in the world won't change anything.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:52 PM, Rosegreen said:

Took over a 4 win team, wins 7 in three seasons. He was a disaster. 

Ok, good luck.    As an outsider I think your AD is a f**^ing idiot but you never really know how new hires turn out.