Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

2022 Aztec FB post mortem

Personally, it was an extremely disappointing season from game one. I really thought this squad had a shot at a 9-10 win season and a Division Title.

How do you have Two All Americans and 11 All Conference performers and come away with only 7 wins ?

How do you have a Senior heavy squad and under perform so horribly ? Lots and lots of mental mistakes by supposedly seasoned players.

We supposedly found a qb. However, he is prone to throwing Red Zone pics. Despite his presence the Offense could inly muster 16 points against Hawaii, 23 against UNR, 14 against UNLV, and 3 against Air Force. These are bottom feeder defenses yet our OC and players made them look like the 85 Bears 

The O-line was a disaster and doesn't look to be any better next year.

We had Running backs that can make big plays in space, but our OC could only get them touches between the tackles.

The program down sized their spacious NFL Stadium and still couldn't fill it. The New12 and PAC are lukewarm on the program at best and the FB program did nothing to improve that image.

Today, I see a local 3* OL kid has decommited from the program.

Trouble in River City ?

Or, am I just just playing the Chicken Little card here ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Mid-October through the rest of the season, I was fine with in comparison to the start of the year.  Last year's record was the ball bouncing our way so frequently, and I never felt the record was indicative of a great squad.  Also, any tough game besides AFA was on the road, and the loss of talent on the OL was consequential.  Am I disappointed?  In the overall, sure.  But if we can use this year as a lesson on shoring up long-standing deficiencies in the pass game, and also our AD and whoever prices the prices on the stadium based on what went unsold, I can very easily live with it.  If nothing changes, then we absolutely squandered so much to learn from.

I agree I did not think we were a 12-2 season last season, but things broke our way and we were.  12-2 ultimately covered some warts particularly with the OC and QB development.  I am looking for growth this next year particularly in the OL and the offensive play calling.   Defensively we scheme OK, but need to improve our tackling, which something I haven't had to say for a long time. There were many missed tackles on D this year, more than I can remember. 

I think this off season is getting back to the basics and building more depth at key positions.  Last off season was about the new stadium and the unfortunate toll the football scandal took on the program, which clearly affected the team even if they won't admit it.   I truly believe the future is bright, we just need to bring the energy everyday.

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Personally, it was an extremely disappointing season from game one. I really thought this squad had a shot at a 9-10 win season and a Division Title.

How do you have Two All Americans and 11 All Conference performers and come away with only 7 wins ?

How do you have a Senior heavy squad and under perform so horribly ? Lots and lots of mental mistakes by supposedly seasoned players.

We supposedly found a qb. However, he is prone to throwing Red Zone pics. Despite his presence the Offense could inly muster 16 points against Hawaii, 23 against UNR, 14 against UNLV, and 3 against Air Force. These are bottom feeder defenses yet our OC and players made them look like the 85 Bears 

The O-line was a disaster and doesn't look to be any better next year.

We had Running backs that can make big plays in space, but our OC could only get them touches between the tackles.

The program down sized their spacious NFL Stadium and still couldn't fill it. The New12 and PAC are lukewarm on the program at best and the FB program did nothing to improve that image.

Today, I see a local 3* OL kid has decommited from the program.

Trouble in River City ?

Or, am I just just playing the Chicken Little card here ?

My uneducated opinion because I live in Socal...

1) yes.  you are playing the Chicken Little card here.

2) yes. they under performed this year... not sure why but probably due to the way they started the season... coaching staff may need some adjustments but who am i to say?

3) their first issue was their first OC, who clearly had trouble understanding what he had ... burying the best QB they had on the roster on the defensive side of the football surely illustrates that. obviously he's gone now so that's a plus

4) the biggest problem was the Oline... they were young and inexperienced... (they'll be better next year). the oline caused most of the other offensive problems you listed... that and the first OC...

5) the QB is pretty good actually and he'll get better with more playing time... remember he was on D for the last 2 years.

6) local kids decommit all the time... SDSU isn't a big draw for local kids if they have options with P5 schools... maybe you think these kids should want to stay in SD but the fact is they don't and won't unless SDSU becomes a big power house 

7) the new stadium draws a good crowd... plenty of folks attend games... they just don't sit in their seats because there's a lot of other things to do at the stadium and like all socal fans... if the team isn't a big winner the fans don't care as much... that's a socal thing not an sdsu thing... 

jmo

On 12/6/2022 at 12:12 PM, Someone Else said:

My uneducated opinion because I live in Socal...

1) yes.  you are playing the Chicken Little card here.

2) yes. they under performed this year... not sure why but probably due to the way they started the season... coaching staff may need some adjustments but who am i to say?

3) their first issue was their first OC, who clearly had trouble understanding what he had ... burying the best QB they had on the roster on the defensive side of the football surely illustrates that. obviously he's gone now so that's a plus

4) the biggest problem was the Oline... they were young and inexperienced... (they'll be better next year). the oline caused most of the other offensive problems you listed... that and the first OC...

5) the QB is pretty good actually and he'll get better with more playing time... remember he was on D for the last 2 years.

6) local kids decommit all the time... SDSU isn't a big draw for local kids if they have options with P5 schools... maybe you think these kids should want to stay in SD but the fact is they don't and won't unless SDSU becomes a big power house 

7) the new stadium draws a good crowd... plenty of folks attend games... they just don't sit in their seats because there's a lot of other things to do at the stadium and like all socal fans... if the team isn't a big winner the fans don't care as much... that's a socal thing not an sdsu thing... 

jmo

I think the big one is #3.  If Horton retires, then put the test on the GA (Donnel Pumphrey) as the RB coach.  Keep Lindley as the QB coach then bring in a real OC who will excite the crowd.  Make a committee hire one, not Hoke.  If he doesn't like that idea then there's always the door.  

On 12/6/2022 at 1:14 PM, aztech said:

I think the big one is #3.  If Horton retires, then put the test on the GA (Donnel Pumphrey) as the RB coach.  Keep Lindley as the QB coach then bring in a real OC who will excite the crowd.  Make a committee hire one, not Hoke.  If he doesn't like that idea then there's always the door.  

If Horton retires, which I've heard is likely, then we'd only be able to hire one coach (OC/RB) unless we fire another coach on offense.  The guy I want is Christian Taylor OC/RB coach at William & Mary.  He was an offensive analyst for us in 2010 and then went to Michigan for a year with Hoke.  Hoke now only hires guys he knows and trusts and Taylor would fit that bill.  Plus Taylor's wife is from SD and he won the OC of the year award in 2019 for FCS at USD.  His offenses put up numbers and he does it both ways - at USD he had prolific passing numbers and the past couple of years at William & Mary he's had great rushing numbers.  This year W&M is 8th in total offense and 4th in rushing offense. 

On 12/6/2022 at 11:21 AM, utenation said:

How is recruiting going to shape up? 2022’s class was basically all 3 stars. 2023 more of the same(so far). 

Stars aren’t the end all for performance but it looks like SDSU isn’t lacking talent with the 2 most recent classes. 

HS recruiting has been about the same the last few years since Hoke took over.  IMO better than when Rocky was HC but not much better - at least in terms of stars/grades and the number of guys playing early.

Hoke doesn't like the portal, but we've gotten a bunch of guys who are starters and major contributors from it.  I don't think we've gotten a guy from the portal who didn't contribute significantly.  IMO that's the route we are going to have to go to really upgrade talent. 

Just off the top of my head these are the guys we've picked up the last two years who have contributed.  Starters: QB - Mayden (Miss St), QB - Burmeister (VA Tech), OG Bennett (OK St), WR Shavers (Miss St/Bama), TE Redman (Washington), LB McDonald (Washington), DE Tavai (Hawaii).  Backups who played a lot:  RB Christon (USC).  The only guy from the portal who didn't contribute much was CB Brown (Texas Tech).

In '21 there was QB Johnson (GA Tech), RB Bell (Nebraska), and LB Olubi (Harding) who were all starters and no others who weren't starters.

So the portal has been good to us.  Our problem this offseason is that we don't have many free scholarships to give out to transfers.  We've only had three guys enter the portal and one had his scholarship given to a walk-on a few weeks ago.  It sucks because we desperately need help at DL and OL.

35 minutes ago, Fowl said:

HS recruiting has been about the same the last few years since Hoke took over.  IMO better than when Rocky was HC but not much better - at least in terms of stars/grades and the number of guys playing early.

Hoke doesn't like the portal, but we've gotten a bunch of guys who are starters and major contributors from it.  I don't think we've gotten a guy from the portal who didn't contribute significantly.  IMO that's the route we are going to have to go to really upgrade talent. 

Just off the top of my head these are the guys we've picked up the last two years who have contributed.  Starters: QB - Mayden (Miss St), QB - Burmeister (VA Tech), OG Bennett (OK St), WR Shavers (Miss St/Bama), TE Redman (Washington), LB McDonald (Washington), DE Tavai (Hawaii).  Backups who played a lot:  RB Christon (USC).  The only guy from the portal who didn't contribute much was CB Brown (Texas Tech).

In '21 there was QB Johnson (GA Tech), RB Bell (Nebraska), and LB Olubi (Harding) who were all starters and no others who weren't starters.

So the portal has been good to us.  Our problem this offseason is that we don't have many free scholarships to give out to transfers.  We've only had three guys enter the portal and one had his scholarship given to a walk-on a few weeks ago.  It sucks because we desperately need help at DL and OL.

Your bigger problem is you don't have NIL money to give to players.  That is what non-P5s are recruiting against.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:47 PM, Someone Else said:

Your bigger problem is you don't have NIL money to give to players.  That is what non-P5s are recruiting against.

True.  Our hope is having recruiters finding diamonds in the rough on skill positions, continuing to establish discipline on our lines, and using the location to our advantage.  We do have some small NIL's that folks like Sons of Montezuma are doing, but you are accurate here.  

Season Buzzkills

Pick One:

1. Punt God  - Totally took the focus of the staff, the administration and the squad off of the season, not to mention the obsessive press focus on all of the lurid details.  Whatever happened to that story BTW?

2. God - For blessing us with a heatwave turning Snapdragon into the worlds largest Pizza Oven on opening day. And of course the overblown press coverage thereof.

3. The Heck/Brady Bromance - Everyone.... E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E could see the utter incompetence of Hecklinski except the love struck head coach who insisted on sticking with him until we LITERALLY sank to the bottom of the D1  offensive rankings.

4. The San Diego Sports Curse - You can laugh,but it's real.  We are not allowed to have nice things for whatever reason. In a larger sense, all of the above adds up the "The Curse".

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 12/6/2022 at 6:45 PM, Fowl said:

If Horton retires, which I've heard is likely, then we'd only be able to hire one coach (OC/RB) unless we fire another coach on offense.  The guy I want is Christian Taylor OC/RB coach at William & Mary.  He was an offensive analyst for us in 2010 and then went to Michigan for a year with Hoke.  Hoke now only hires guys he knows and trusts and Taylor would fit that bill.  Plus Taylor's wife is from SD and he won the OC of the year award in 2019 for FCS at USD.  His offenses put up numbers and he does it both ways - at USD he had prolific passing numbers and the past couple of years at William & Mary he's had great rushing numbers.  This year W&M is 8th in total offense and 4th in rushing offense. 

Well, evidently Taylor didn't help Hoke enough to prevent him from getting canned.  My preference is UNLV's Marcus Arroyo.   We've done fairly well hiring their ex-HCs for downgraded positions..  Hauck was a very good ST coach,  Horton is a good RB coach, but that's about it.           

On 12/6/2022 at 8:11 PM, Fowl said:

In 2019 the Portal brought Jonah Tavai in from Long Beach CC.

Americans Mayor

On 12/7/2022 at 2:07 PM, aztech said:

Well, evidently Taylor didn't help Hoke enough to prevent him from getting canned.  My preference is UNLV's Marcus Arroyo.   We've done fairly well hiring their ex-HCs for downgraded positions..  Hauck was a very good ST coach,  Horton is a good RB coach, but that's about it.           

Hunkie Cooper while not a UNLV Coach did play ball at UNLV and was an LV HS Coach.

If I were the FB Coach at UNLV, I would focus on recruiting LV kids.

Americans Mayor

On 12/6/2022 at 10:29 PM, SDSUfan said:

Season Buzzkills

Pick One:

1. Punt God  - Totally took the focus of the staff, the administration and the squad off of the season, not to mention the obsessive press focus on all of the lurid details.  Whatever happened to that story BTW?

2. God - For blessing us with a heatwave turning Snapdragon into the worlds largest Pizza Oven on opening day. And of course the overblown press coverage thereof.

3. The Heck/Brady Bromance - Everyone.... E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E could see the utter incompetence of Hecklinski except the love struck head coach who insisted on sticking with him until we LITERALLY sank to the bottom of the D1  offensive rankings.

4. The San Diego Sports Curse - You can laugh,but it's real.  We are not allowed to have nice things for whatever reason. In a larger sense, all of the above adds up the "The Curse".

If you're not a San Diego Sports fan, you have no idea.

The 2000's, despite having future HoFers and  a roster dotted with All Pros, the Chargers could never get to a Super Bowl. They always self destructed in the Playoffs.

Americans Mayor

Had SDSU recovered an onside kick against Fresno State they would have won the West Division and been in the Championship Game.  That happens 9 out of 10 times.  That is how close they were to having a good season.  But the 10% chance happened and they ended up 7-5 and everyone feels it was a disappointing season, which quite frankly it was.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, SDSUfan said:

Season Buzzkills

Pick One:

1.  No criminal charges will be filed, announced a couple hours ago. Damage is done as far as bad press, unfortunately. But, he should be allowed another chance at the NFL 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 12/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

1.  No criminal charges will be filed, announced a couple hours ago. Damage is done as far as bad press, unfortunately. But, he should be allowed another chance at the NFL 

I will be curious as to whether this will actually happen.  Is a punter worth the outcry that is sure to rise if a team signs him?