Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Gavin Newsom Wants Each Black CA Resident to get $223k in Reparations

On 12/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, happycamper said:

I disagree that altering stratification will "happen at the citizenry level". I think that state investment - in infrastructure, in education, in business opportunities - would do far more for leveling and allowing upward mobility. Essentially 100% of wealth created for the middle class has been due to massive government subsidies and infrastructure spending. It is... not real surprising but also kind of depressing when the conversation changes as soon as white people 'got ours'. 

State investment is where I stated

So then goal is to determine how to address how to allow for an unimpeded and organic development of neighborhoods and communities to allow upward mobility through all classes.

that is a reduction in barriers to entry for housing, employment, healthcare, etc.  But even then, the true change will need to be done by society itself.  Society will have to see it as not a bad thing for people at the bottom rising, blue-collar work being appreciated as much as a white collar, families feeling safe because they have a healthy relationship with LEO/First Responders, and where they don't feel intimidated by a neglected neighborhood being preyed on by criminals who wield heavy influence because positive figures feel they need to leave because they feel the neighborhood is nothing more than a prison with government being the guards and warden, leaving a lack of role models.  It needs to be residents not feeling scared of losing their neighborhood as turnover happens in the housing market.  Many of those factors are irrational factors, that have to be addressed on an individual basis, government can't do that.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:23 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

State investment is where I stated

that is a reduction in barriers to entry for housing, employment, healthcare, etc.  But even then, the true change will need to be done by society itself.  Society will have to see it as not a bad thing for people at the bottom rising, blue-collar work being appreciated as much as a white collar, families feeling safe because they have a healthy relationship with LEO/First Responders, and where they don't feel intimidated by a neglected neighborhood being preyed on by criminals who wield heavy influence because positive figures feel they need to leave because they feel the neighborhood is nothing more than a prison with government being the guards and warden, leaving a lack of role models.  It needs to be residents not feeling scared of losing their neighborhood as turnover happens in the housing market.  Many of those factors are irrational factors, that have to be addressed on an individual basis, government can't do that.

I guess this is where I disagree with you. It was government who created the situation over hundreds of years, deliberately, with deliberate use of public funds, with planning sessions, with the resources of the state. It was the government who created a larger divide between black and white from the 1910s to the 1950s (really) in terms of mixed vs segregated communities. It was the government who created the conditions to have what we consider a typical 1st world community.

To see that the government had the power to do all that, but then to say "well but the only thing they don't have the power to do is reduce systemic inequality", seems... wrong.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:07 AM, happycamper said:

1. non-centrist

There’s no need to be Centristphobic. I don’t bite, I don’t hurt anyone. I’m just in the middle where most Americans are. If you would just get over your hatred of people like me that don’t agree with you, you’d find that we’re pretty normal nice people.

I know, you’re going to say that you have friends that are Centrist, and you already understand them and don’t fear them. Right. 

kat.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Nevada Convert said:

There’s no need to be Centristphobic. I don’t bite,

boring

I don’t hurt anyone.

unless they're gay

I’m just in the middle where most Americans are.

unless you, like, look at what "most americans' feel

If you would just get over your hatred of people like me

convert, i say this with profound relief

there are not enough "people like you" to be able to "hate people like you"

that don’t agree with you, you’d find that we’re pretty normal nice people.

when have you been nice?

I know, you’re going to say that you have friends that are Centrist, and you already understand them and don’t fear them. Right. 

what

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:33 AM, happycamper said:

I guess this is where I disagree with you. It was government who created the situation over hundreds of years, deliberately, with deliberate use of public funds, with planning sessions, with the resources of the state. It was the government who created a larger divide between black and white from the 1910s to the 1950s (really) in terms of mixed vs segregated communities. It was the government who created the conditions to have what we consider a typical 1st world community.

To see that the government had the power to do all that, but then to say "well but the only thing they don't have the power to do is reduce systemic inequality", seems... wrong.

Government will not change people's minds through policy.  That has to be done through the People.  The government can invest in community assets, in redevelopment and in job training.  It can require standards and practice that allow for community engagement in dealing with the people it serves.  It can even have punitive consequences for proven discriminatory practices (ie no fed funding or subsidies to non-governmental companies).  But it cannot buy its way out of the hole it dug and its consequential entitlement of those who have benefitted from it.  

On 12/5/2022 at 10:25 AM, happycamper said:

boring

unless they're gay

unless you, like, look at what "most americans' feel

convert, i say this with profound relief

there are not enough "people like you" to be able to "hate people like you"

when have you been nice?

what

I would really appreciate it if you would just stop it with the Centristphobic posting. Seriously. 

Exactly how am I and other centrists hurting gay people? I support gay marriage. My beef is with the nutty gay activists, not ordinary gay Americans. I’ve made that clear dozens of times, but your hate seems to justify your lying about me. 

“there are not enough "people like you" to be able to "hate people like you"”

That makes about as much sense as your brilliant idea to end the war in Ukraine by invading Russia a la Iraq 2003 and replace Putin. 

I’m nice all the time. I’m even nice to you sometimes. 

kat.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 11:02 AM, JADogs05 said:

How did everybody manage to miss Convert calling for an increase in educational expenditures? Centrist AF. 

He's based.  Unfortunately, there has not been a great correlation between education expenditures and educational improvements.  Though I do agree teacher pay (at least in some areas) needs to be better.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

He's based.  Unfortunately, there has not been a great correlation between education expenditures and educational improvements.  Though I do agree teacher pay (at least in some areas) needs to be better.

When there isn't student and community buy in to the value of education it doesn't matter what resources are available.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, Los_Aztecas said:

When there isn't student and community buy in to the value of education it doesn't matter what resources are available.

Very much agree.  That is one of the reasons I always note to invest in community assets and to have better community relations with the public and the folks who are charged with providing services to them.  Make the neighborhood feel safer, there should be a cascading effects from job growth, housing ownership, less fear from both criminals and police, and more safe and family-friendly activities that promote learning, youth development and mentorships would likely have a much better effect on in-the-home dynamics that would then be seen in the schools (over time, so patience would be needed).  

On 12/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

There will never be reparations, and yes, there are longitudinal effects on wealth borne from discriminatory practices against minorities throughout American history.  It has led to what people complain about today, but will never attempt to address because in the end, they want stratified demographics.  It helps politically, culturally, economically, and emotionally, for those that aren't negatively affected by it.  

Just my two pennies.

Based AF

On 12/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, CV147 said:

Racism comes with a monetary price. Like anytime someone uses a slur the government should deduct $10 from a person's account and pay it to the victim.

The pay to say plan.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:28 AM, SharkTanked said:

I love this. We need T Shirts and bumper stickers. 

Shit happens.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I think pretty much everyone agrees that teachers are way under paid in general…..certainly in CA. The Dems in Sacramento and teacher unions have thrown away massive amounts of money on ineffective programs. But like I said, pay is bad, and there’s no reason why so many teachers have to buy school supplies for their classes out of their own pocket. These are no brainer funding improvements that need to happen. 

kat.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I think pretty much everyone agrees that teachers are way under paid in general…..certainly in CA. The Dems in Sacramento and teacher unions have thrown away massive amounts of money on ineffective programs. But like I said, pay is bad, and there’s no reason why so many teachers have to buy school supplies for their classes out of their own pocket. These are no brainer funding improvements that need to happen. 

But, that's Woke Communism !

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor