Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Gavin Newsom Wants Each Black CA Resident to get $223k in Reparations

Those that have been identified as having slave ancestors because of housing discrimination. WTF? This makes no sense at all, even for a far left nut. 

This is so insane, I don’t even know where to start other than Newsom apparently wants to be the great divider. There’s nothing you can do more to create divisiveness than give one subset of a minority a huge amount of money for wrongs done to their ancestors by the gov/society, and then do nothing for anyone else that also had ancestors suffer. 

Don’t get me wrong, Reparations are a horrible idea, in general. But even worse when you divide the black community with haves and have nots. Just because someone can’t prove they had slave ancestors means they get nothing? 

There’s going to be huge class action lawsuits against CA for other blacks, lawsuits for every minority group that ever suffered because of the gov…….lawsuits against CA that oppose any reparations….. you’re creating a hornets nest, creating debt on many levels.

Meanwhile, education in CA is an under-funded disaster. How about giving teachers big raises and funding schools better. That’s how you can help society, not sleazy divisive vote buying. With Newsom having his sights on the WH in 2024 and 2028, this seems to me as a completely crazy strategy for a prez general election. 

https://www.newsweek.com/california-reparations-could-see-newsom-give-black-americans-223k-1764114?amp=1

kat.jpg

On 12/4/2022 at 7:32 PM, Nevada Convert said:

LOL, do you read anything?

The article you posted which didn’t touch on Newsom’s opinion. A panel which hasn’t even recommended anything yet. You should be a clickbait tweet headline writer for the NYPost or something with your ‘centrist’ takes.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

The article you posted which didn’t touch on Newsom’s opinion. A panel which hasn’t even recommended anything yet. You should be a clickbait tweet headline writer for the NYPost or something with your ‘centrist’ takes.

There’s a lot more written about it out there. It’s everywhere. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/01/business/economy/california-black-reparations.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11494935/amp/Philadelphia-backs-10pm-curfew-children-aged-14-17-protect-gun-violence.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-reparations-proposal-could-mean-223k-per-person-payments-black-residents.amp

kat.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 12:01 AM, Nevada Convert said:

On 12/5/2022 at 12:01 AM, Nevada Convert said:

A taskforce set up by California Gov. Gavin Newsom is urging the federal government to pay every African American in the US at least $223k for 'housing discrimination' - while continuing to probe other areas for compensation. 

The nine-person group believes that black Americans should receive the money for 'enduring the economic effects' of racism and slavery – after initially making the suggestions in California.

It was created by Newsom's legislation which he signed in 2020 and is the largest reparation effort in recent history.

So the "largest reparation effort in recent history" is "asking the feds for money from a powerless body"

wow convert. such news

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

There will never be reparations, and yes, there are longitudinal effects on wealth borne from discriminatory practices against minorities throughout American history.  It has led to what people complain about today, but will never attempt to address because in the end, they want stratified demographics.  It helps politically, culturally, economically, and emotionally, for those that aren't negatively affected by it.  

Just my two pennies.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:48 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

There will never be reparations, and yes, there are longitudinal effects on wealth borne from discriminatory practices against minorities throughout American history.  It has led to what people complain about today, but will never attempt to address because in the end, they want stratified demographics.  It helps politically, culturally, economically, and emotionally, for those that aren't negatively affected by it.  

Just my two pennies.

Of course discrimination has occurred and hurt minorities throughout American history. Who disagrees with that? Since 1964, what do you think has been happening? We’ve made a lot of progress and more needs to be done. However, Reparations will actually set us back….it’s poison. 

kat.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 10:52 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Oh, because it hasn’t happened yet it’s not news. What kind of crazy person are you? 

I mean, yeah. Lots of people ask for stuff all the time with no hope of getting it. So much that if that was what we reported, that would be all we reported on.

This is only news if the word 'reparations' melts your brain

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Oh, because it hasn’t happened yet it’s not news. What kind of crazy person are you? 

How many kinds are there?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Of course discrimination has occurred and hurt minorities throughout American history. Who disagrees with that? Since 1964, what do you think has been happening? We’ve made a lot of progress and more needs to be done. However, Reparations will actually set us back….it’s poison. 

I mean off the top of my head, redlining, housing discrimination, employment discrimination, criminal justice discrimination (increased enforcement), criminal justice discrimination (increased penalties)

and that is before all of the legacy issues that are due to the 300 years of legal discrimination before that 

On 12/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, RSF said:

How many kinds are there?

1. non-centrist

On 12/5/2022 at 7:59 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Like I said, reperations will not happen.  Like you said, it is poison, and those who have benefitted from history will also be extremely upset that it would happen, so a two-fer effect.  Since 1964, government has begrudgingly stripped away governmental discrimination in legislation and bureaucracy.  It has allowed for a heavy reduction in direct and explicit governmental +++++ery.  At least at the federal level

On 12/5/2022 at 8:06 AM, happycamper said:

I mean off the top of my head, redlining, housing discrimination, employment discrimination, criminal justice discrimination (increased enforcement), criminal justice discrimination (increased penalties)

and that is before all of the legacy issues that are due to the 300 years of legal discrimination before that 

Most of those are much better now, and now the discrimination is the bias of individuals, not the institution itself (ie judicial and enforcement discrepancies, real estate agents, appraisers and brokers in housing, private firm hiring and job connections in major cities being more about actors in those agencies, not the legislative framework itself)

On 12/5/2022 at 11:11 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Most of those are much better now, and now the discrimination is the bias of individuals, not the institution itself (ie judicial and enforcement discrepancies, real estate agents, appraisers and brokers in housing, private firm hiring and job connections in major cities being more about actors in those agencies, not the legislative framework itself)

Sure. It's "getting better all the time". I don't think it is crazy to say there is going to be a real long 'tail" of discrepancies though. Like... black people living in 'bad" neighborhoods that see less funding and more police enforcement because of racist policies for the first ~150 years a place was being built. Convert says "hey we ended overt systemic discrimination so everything is good". I don't think that is moral, and more importantly, I don't think it is good policy. 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:16 AM, happycamper said:

Sure. It's "getting better all the time". I don't think it is crazy to say there is going to be a real long 'tail" of discrepancies though. Like... black people living in 'bad" neighborhoods that see less funding and more police enforcement because of racist policies for the first ~150 years a place was being built. Convert says "hey we ended overt systemic discrimination so everything is good". I don't think that is moral, and more importantly, I don't think it is good policy. 

You can't completely remove bias and discrimination through policy.  Look at affirmative action, and how so many people become more discriminatory because they view it as the minorities are treated better even though it was to try and induce more Americans in the workforce through demographic penetration.  Hell, look at the conversations on the American society we have now, none of that starts at the government.  It is people upset because they feel uncomfortable.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:26 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

You can't completely remove bias and discrimination through policy.  Look at affirmative action, and how so many people become more discriminatory because they view it as the minorities are treated better even though it was to try and induce more Americans in the workforce through demographic penetration.  Hell, look at the conversations on the American society we have now, none of that starts at the government.  It is people upset because they feel uncomfortable.

No, you can't. But you can certainly make it better and IMO it makes the country stronger. Having a state-created underclass is.... bad, historically. 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, happycamper said:

No, you can't. But you can certainly make it better and IMO it makes the country stronger. Having a state-created underclass is.... bad, historically. 

The state-created already happened, and even removing that doesn't automatically flatten or alter the stratification.  That would have to happen at the citizenry level, of which, many who benefitted for generations don't want that to ever happen, whether they are honest about it or not.  So then goal is to determine how to address how to allow for an unimpeded and organic development of neighborhoods and communities to allow upward mobility through all classes.  Right now, that is the true battle, it is just being deflected from on purpose by folks who would rather fall into a number of smaller arguments that pit citizen vs citizen instead of what should be the citizens looking to help one another.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

The state-created already happened, and even removing that doesn't automatically flatten or alter the stratification.  That would have to happen at the citizenry level, of which, many who benefitted for generations don't want that to ever happen, whether they are honest about it or not.  So then goal is to determine how to address how to allow for an unimpeded and organic development of neighborhoods and communities to allow upward mobility through all classes.  Right now, that is the true battle, it is just being deflected from on purpose by folks who would rather fall into a number of smaller arguments that pit citizen vs citizen instead of what should be the citizens looking to help one another.

I disagree that altering stratification will "happen at the citizenry level". I think that state investment - in infrastructure, in education, in business opportunities - would do far more for leveling and allowing upward mobility. Essentially 100% of wealth created for the middle class has been due to massive government subsidies and infrastructure spending. It is... not real surprising but also kind of depressing when the conversation changes as soon as white people 'got ours'.