Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thespywhozaggedme

Official portal thread

One of Boise's highest rated signees in the class 0f 2019, Lolani Langi is in the portal.  Signed with Boise in February 2019, then Avalos left for Oregon shortly after.  Langi then decided to go on a 2-year LDS mission instead.  Walked-on at WSU in Fall 2021 (redshirted).  Then transferred to Utah for 2022.  Played in 7 games with 4 tackles for the Utes this year.  Has been listed as an EDGE player although originally recruited as LB (6'2" - 230).  Wonder if Andy is still interested?

I noticed CSU has a boatload of kids in the portal. Are these Addazio holdovers or Norvells recruits ?

I can't imagine they are leaving because the P5 is calling 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Only five Aztecs in the portal right now. Outside of Baskerville, no big surprises. This coupled with a number of Covid Seniors deciding to stick around, can help ease the transition to Chokes recruits.

Americans Mayor

Here's a portal question and strategy I have been mulling over.

At the G5 and lower P5 Level, what's the point of recruiting and developing a kid ? If he shows some promise, he transfers out. If he realizes he will always be the backup, he transfers for more PT.

I'm thinking screw recruiting HS kids who will decommit when a better School offers or the above situation. Fill your roster with Portal players. Whether they are starters or backups, they ain't leaving unless they want to sacrifice a season. Get them as RS Frosh and Sophs, develop and play them.

This way you are not turning over half your roster every season with kids  graduating and transfers.

The Utags brought in over 40 new players in 2021 and won the CCG. U$C similiar results.

In this day and age why bother with HS recruits ?

Americans Mayor

SUDS has signed West Carolina WR transfer Raphael Williams Jr. He will have two years of eligibilty.

He must be a speed burner. 14 Career TD's and 13.4 YPC.

Albeit ot comes in a 5'10 165 lb body.

https://catamountsports.com/sports/football/roster/raphael-williams/11116

Americans Mayor

On 12/21/2022 at 12:59 AM, Spaztecs said:

Here's a portal question and strategy I have been mulling over.

At the G5 and lower P5 Level, what's the point of recruiting and developing a kid ? If he shows some promise, he transfers out. If he realizes he will always be the backup, he transfers for more PT.

I'm thinking screw recruiting HS kids who will decommit when a better School offers or the above situation. Fill your roster with Portal players. Whether they are starters or backups, they ain't leaving unless they want to sacrifice a season. Get them as RS Frosh and Sophs, develop and play them.

This way you are not turning over half your roster every season with kids  graduating and transfers.

The Utags brought in over 40 new players in 2021 and won the CCG. U$C similiar results.

In this day and age why bother with HS recruits ?

The flipside is that the G5 schools can now get the four and five star high school kids that signed with big-time P5 programs and are stuck way behind in the depth chart and just need a chance and/or playing time to show what they can do.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

The flipside is that the G5 schools can now get the four and five star high school kids that signed with big-time P5 programs and are stuck way behind in the depth chart and just need a chance and/or playing time to show what they can do.

That's my point.

Why recruit HS kids who are going to leave first chance ?

Recruit the Portal and the kids are yours for a couple of years.

Americans Mayor

On 12/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, Spaztecs said:

That's my point.

Why recruit HS kids who are going to leave first chance ?

Recruit the Portal and the kids are yours for a couple of years.

I hear you and I am inclined to agree, but not all high school kids are going to leave, Some will stay because they have fallen in love with the school, teammates, girlfriend, etc.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

I hear you and I am inclined to agree, but not all high school kids are going to leave, Some will stay because they have fallen in love with the school, teammates, girlfriend, etc.

I agree with you in that regard.

Realize in my next thought that I am excluding Grad Transfers.

But, the eye-popping Portal numbers indicate those SA's are in the minority.  

Some leave to go back home or find a better Academic fit. They also are in the minority.

Americans Mayor