Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Invite UTSA immediately

On 12/3/2022 at 4:25 PM, Wyovanian said:

Hair could have done a better job of leading and guiding academic executives, however...

He led the Academic elites to water numerous times. They refused to drink.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I’ll just throw it out there - - these were the exact same discussions when SJSU was ultimately invited. ‘Why expand for expansion’s sake when SJSU is another mouth to feed without financial gain?’ Whether or not the SJSU invite was ultimately the right decision has been debated ad nauseum on this board for years. I assume you are familiar with that discussion.

The answer then and the answer now is that some expansion is probably beneficial and necessary even without additional revenue per team because it provides the conference with additional stability in the event a few programs leave to other conferences.  In the MWC’s current case, if the PAC were to get further raided and then do something crazy like invite 4-6 MWC teams, the remainder of teams left behind in the MWC might not be enough to keep the conference from imploding all together and perhaps leaving some programs on an island and with few options (For example - see WAC meltdown and the cases of Idaho and NMSU).  

And Utah State too. They became members of the MW at the same time SJSU did (2013). 

The discussion is academic.  No one from the AAC will accept an MWC invitation unless something happens to further weaken the AAC (e.g. losing USF or Memphis to the Big 12) or further strengthen the MWC (e.g. landing Washington State and Oregon State in a Pac-12 meltdown).

On 12/3/2022 at 12:20 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Rumor on another message board is that they actually approached the MWC first and hair turned them down. Unfortunately I’m not joking.

Well, if it's not a joke, then it's just plain stupid. It's not in his job description to make those decisions. IF he told them that, then it was because the presidents decided that.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:21 PM, Spaztecs said:

The Presidents chose the safe route and got left behind. 

In a world of GoR and Exit Fees, the only potential suitors left are NMSU/UTEP and a bunch of FCS call ups.

The MW has fallen behind the AAC and the Fun Belt.

After it's initial beginning, the MW presidents have never been progressive. They've always been reactionary.

On 12/3/2022 at 9:51 AM, idkk said:

If they want to get into Texas, there are still FBS options like UTEP and Texas State. Not shiny like UTSA currently is, but they're there.

After watching the Incarnate Word @ Sac State game, I'm looking forward to seeing what Kinne is going to do at TX ST. They have nice facilities, so if he gets them going, them and the Miners should be our first calls for backfills. 

On 12/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, kingpotato said:

After it's initial beginning, the MW presidents have never been progressive. They've always been reactionary.

Adding Boise was a very aggressive move.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/11/2022 at 7:11 AM, Spaztecs said:

Adding Boise was a very aggressive move.

No, they should have added them years before they did. Instead, they waited until Utah and BYU bolted and TCU announced they're intention to leave. That's exactly the type of thing I was referring to.

On 12/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, Coog kev said:

UTSA will run the slate in AAC gridiron.  Newby HC Tom Herman over at FAU will take some time to do some things there. 

yeah but it means you also have to play here come hoops season...yuk

convo_new_floor.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 12/10/2022 at 5:00 PM, idkk said:

After watching the Incarnate Word @ Sac State game, I'm looking forward to seeing what Kinne is going to do at TX ST. They have nice facilities, so if he gets them going, them and the Miners should be our first calls for backfills. 

It will also be interesting to see if Sac State is able to keep up their momentum after losing Troy Taylor. It’s been fun having UCD and Sac State relevant at the FCS level.

On 12/11/2022 at 6:18 AM, kingpotato said:

No, they should have added them years before they did. Instead, they waited until Utah and BYU bolted and TCU announced they're intention to leave. That's exactly the type of thing I was referring to.

A little revisionist, but OK.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:13 PM, Headbutt said:

A little revisionist, but OK.

He was responding to my comment about the MW being reactionary and not progressive. He said adding Boise was progressive. I was pointing out that it was, in fact, a reaction. The MW just hadn't been a progressive, forward thinking group. It's more a status quo mindset and then respond when things change.

On 12/11/2022 at 10:27 PM, kingpotato said:

He was responding to my comment about the MW being reactionary and not progressive. He said adding Boise was progressive. I was pointing out that it was, in fact, a reaction. The MW just hadn't been a progressive, forward thinking group. It's more a status quo mindset and then respond when things change.

I completely agree with you that the MW is far from forward thinking, and when they are they contemplate stupid things.  As far as Boise, they did try to be progressive.  Boise was bringing conference championships and adding them while TCU and Utah were here would've propelled the conference into the BCS.  The MWC tried to get cute and play the BCS with the timing of the Boise addition.  They screwed themselves.

It was also reported from multiple outlets that the addition of Boise had been initially blocked.  The rumor was that it was BYU, but who knows.

Anyway, the one time the conference had a plan, they crapped down their leg.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:32 PM, Headbutt said:

I completely agree with you that the MW is far from forward thinking, and when they are they contemplate stupid things.  As far as Boise, they did try to be progressive.  Boise was bringing conference championships and adding them while TCU and Utah were here would've propelled the conference into the BCS.  The MWC tried to get cute and play the BCS with the timing of the Boise addition.  They screwed themselves.

It was also reported from multiple outlets that the addition of Boise had been initially blocked.  The rumor was that it was BYU, but who knows.

Anyway, the one time the conference had a plan, they crapped down their leg.

I recall when and why we waited so long to add Boise. Boise was pretty good at the time but the main rumor was the PAC 10 was taking Texas, OU, OSU and Ok State (or something like that), the SEC was taking A&M Mizzou, Big10 taking Kansas and Nebraska and the MEC was going to land K-State, Iowa State Baylor and Tech or something like that. I think K-State had already had conversations with the MWC if something like that happed. At leas that was the rumor I recall. zero inside info

On 12/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, idkk said:

AAC is super watered down now though. It's Tulane, SMU, and Memphis at the top and that's it. Of the new teams, only UTSA and UAB have a pulse (UNT is super hit or miss) and it remains to be seen whether they can keep it going, especially UAB with a new coach.

Let's say we would have added UTSA and UNT and didn't lose any teams. How does that change the conference's standing? It does nothing.

Thompson liked UNT and our AD at the time stated on the record that he was taking calls from the MWC almost nightly. What sank the chance of the MWC's expansion back into Texas was the fact that the presidents didn't want to grow that big. Aresco saw where expansion was headed, and knew UNT, Rice, & UTSA all preferred spots in the AAC over the MWC. Pulling the trigger ensured the MWC would have no FBS expansion options that they wanted, once they had to expand. 

The question now might be, if the MWC ends up losing SDSU and UNLV, would Boise, Air Force, and/or Colorado State reconsider moving to the AAC?

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

NCAA Men's Golf- 4 National Championships

NCAA D-1 & FBS Football- 22 Conference Championships & 8 Bowl Games

NCAA Men's Basketball- 12 Conference Championships & 3 NCAA Tournaments

Posted Image

On 1/15/2023 at 7:35 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Thompson liked UNT and our AD at the time stated on the record that he was taking calls from the MWC almost nightly. What sank the chance of the MWC's expansion back into Texas was the fact that the presidents didn't want to grow that big. Aresco saw where expansion was headed, and knew UNT, Rice, & UTSA all preferred spots in the AAC over the MWC. Pulling the trigger ensured the MWC would have no FBS expansion options that they wanted, once they had to expand. 

The question now might be, if the MWC ends up losing SDSU and UNLV, would Boise, Air Force, and/or Colorado State reconsider moving to the AAC?

Probably not in CSU's case.  Our AD would be all for it again, but the boosters blocked it last time.  I'm not sure that will change.  Probably (hopefully) CSU will have a new AD soon and who knows where they'll stand on things.

The AAC was conned into taking UNT and Rice.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:58 AM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

I guess the only issue is that the football team seems to have low attendances from time to time.

Only issue.

That's funny.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.