Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Invite UTSA immediately

They are in a metro area larger than San Diego. There is no D1 football opponent in their nearby area. They get great TV ratings, and attendance. Their community loves them and supports them. A ton of recruits come from this area. 

None of their games are on channels that get rated (CBSSN, Stadium, ESPN+), so ratings are a little difficult to track.  Maybe people do watch, but who knows.  Even Stadium's local affiliate in SA is a digital subchannel.

Their attendance is OK.  And it varies wildly by performance.

Texas State is 30 miles up the interstate, but San Antonio is UT turf.  Big time.

SA is probably 4th among the Texas metro areas for recruits, behind Houston, DFW and Austin.

It's a commuter school on a nice 2 year run.  They got lucky because PT Aresco went after every big city school with a pulse.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

UTSA is committed to the American Conference..joining Rice, and North Texas next year as newbies.  SMU is the leader of the Texas pack re the Texas squads in the AAC re all that.  Super props to UTSA for all of its great success lately. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 12/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Rumor on another message board is that they actually approached the MWC first and hair turned them down. Unfortunately I’m not joking.

Hair didn't turn them down. The presidents of the MW turned them down.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 12/2/2022 at 9:25 PM, Wyovanian said:

CBS/FOX wouldn't pay more than they are for any of the potential expansion schools, so I imagine it was an easy choice for the Presidents. Why expand for expansion sake? Especially when there's no monetary incentive to do it. It was more important to keep the current teams we have.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, idkk said:

CBS/FOX wouldn't pay more than they are for any of the potential expansion schools, so I imagine it was an easy choice for the Presidents. Why expand for expansion sake? Especially when there's no monetary incentive to do it. It was more important to keep the current teams we have.

I’ll just throw it out there - - these were the exact same discussions when SJSU was ultimately invited. ‘Why expand for expansion’s sake when SJSU is another mouth to feed without financial gain?’ Whether or not the SJSU invite was ultimately the right decision has been debated ad nauseum on this board for years. I assume you are familiar with that discussion.

The answer then and the answer now is that some expansion is probably beneficial and necessary even without additional revenue per team because it provides the conference with additional stability in the event a few programs leave to other conferences.  In the MWC’s current case, if the PAC were to get further raided and then do something crazy like invite 4-6 MWC teams, the remainder of teams left behind in the MWC might not be enough to keep the conference from imploding all together and perhaps leaving some programs on an island and with few options (For example - see WAC meltdown and the cases of Idaho and NMSU).  

On 12/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I’ll just throw it out there - - these were the exact same discussions when SJSU was ultimately invited. ‘Why expand for expansion’s sake when SJSU is another mouth to feed without financial gain?’ Whether or not the SJSU invite was ultimately the right decision has been debated ad nauseum on this board for years. I assume you are familiar with that discussion.

The answer then and the answer now is that some expansion is probably beneficial and necessary even without additional revenue per team because it provides the conference with additional stability in the event a few programs leave to other conferences.  In the MWC’s current case, if the PAC were to get further raided and then do something crazy like invite 4-6 MWC teams, the remainder of teams left behind in the MWC might not be enough to keep the conference from imploding all together and perhaps leaving some programs on an island and with few options (For example - see WAC meltdown and the cases of Idaho and NMSU).  

You were losing teams back then though. So, the conference had to react to remain viable. The conference has been stable for nearly 10 years now, even with the mild flirtations of certain teams with P5 conferences.

As far as your hypothetical scenario, the remaining teams would do what CUSA just did after getting raided. Bring in any FBS teams they can and then convince some FCS teams to make the jump.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, Wyovanian said:

Hair was simply the messenger and scapegoat.

He got paid well.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, idkk said:

The Presidents chose the safe route and got left behind. 

In a world of GoR and Exit Fees, the only potential suitors left are NMSU/UTEP and a bunch of FCS call ups.

The MW has fallen behind the AAC and the Fun Belt.

Americans Mayor

On 12/3/2022 at 9:21 AM, Spaztecs said:

The Presidents chose the safe route and got left behind.

The only potential suitors left are NMSU/UTEP and a bunch of FCS call ups.

The MW has become C-USA.

AAC is super watered down now though. It's Tulane, SMU, and Memphis at the top and that's it. Of the new teams, only UTSA and UAB have a pulse (UNT is super hit or miss) and it remains to be seen whether they can keep it going, especially UAB with a new coach.

Let's say we would have added UTSA and UNT and didn't lose any teams. How does that change the conference's standing? It does nothing.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:28 AM, idkk said:

AAC is super watered down now though. It's Tulane, SMU, and Memphis at the top and that's it. Of the new teams, only UTSA and UAB have a pulse (UNT is super hit or miss) and it remains to be seen whether they can keep it going, especially UAB with a new coach.

Let's say we would have added UTSA and UNT and didn't lose any teams. How does that change the conference's standing? It does nothing.

The MW would have benefited from theTexas footprint. Perhaps not at this particular moment. They would have been an Ace in the hole with both SUDS and Boise looking for greener pastures.

Now, the MW is going to look like dumbasses and be severely weakened when Boise and SUDS do exit.

Americans Mayor

On 12/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, Spaztecs said:

The MW would have benefited from theTexas footprint. Perhaps not at this particular moment. They would have been an Ace in the hole with both SUDS and Boise looking for greener pastures.

Now, the MW is going to look like dumbasses and be severely weakened when Boise and SUDS do exit.

If they want to get into Texas, there are still FBS options like UTEP and Texas State. Not shiny like UTSA currently is, but they're there.

I just hope UTSA uses their AAC move to better their hoops program as well. I think they will have to improve a lot to compete with Memphis, WSU, UAB, Temple, SMU, Tulsa, etc.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 12/3/2022 at 1:24 PM, UofMTigers said:

I just hope UTSA uses their AAC move to better their hoops program as well. I think they will have to improve a lot to compete with Memphis, WSU, UAB, Temple, SMU, Tulsa, etc.

UTSA will run the slate in AAC gridiron.  Newby HC Tom Herman over at FAU will take some time to do some things there. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 12/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Yup. I made this case when I was advocating for trying to pre-empt the AAC to add UTSA and some other Texas schools. I figured regardless of whether it would add revenue, it would give the MWC a chance to firmly establish itself as the best conference outside the P5 (and Big East). People very smugly lectured about how no schools “moved the needle” and blah blah blah, and now many of those same people are shocked that the AAC is in a good position to lose 3 of their top 4 all around schools and still be the top conference outside the P5. 

The MWC could have done what the AAC did and worked with their TV partners and expansion targets and figured out a number that would have made a move worth it for the TX schools and keep the status quo for the rest of the MWC. Then the MWC asserts itself as the top G5 conference with a strong foothold in the Central Time Zone in time to negotiate the next TV deal. 

Or just keep status quo and be surprised that the conference is treading water.