Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AZdogFan

CFP Officially Expanding

On 12/1/2022 at 8:51 PM, slappy said:

You have not invested any money into your programs.  Reno took this on with the hopes that TV money would fund this jump.  Well it hasn’t, and now we are left with a team who has no upward potential moving forward.   Under .500 play in conference since joining the MW coupled with the inability to fund your athletics at this level creates a recipe that is not beneficial to us moving forward.  All programs go through ups and down with coaching, but when you can not fund your athletic programs sufficiently you are dead weight.  

In the same time period Wyoming’s in conference winning % is 44.18% vs Nevada’s 46.59%. 

In addition to that you’ve made 2 NCAA tournament appearances generating 2 tournament credits.  We’ve made 3 appearances but have generated 6 tournament credits. So who’s leeching from who?  You’re welcome. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 12/1/2022 at 10:55 PM, slappy said:

Trying to make your big sky budget work in the MW is not going to help the MW make noise in the playoffs.  If you can’t understand that then I guess I can not help you. 

Who doesnt understand?  Wyoming and Nevada have almost identical athletic budget numbers.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-nevada-reno/student-life/sports/

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-wyoming/student-life/sports/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, mugtang said:

In the same time period Wyoming’s in conference winning % is 44.18% vs Nevada’s 46.59%. 

In addition to that you’ve made 2 NCAA tournament appearances generating 2 tournament credits.  We’ve made 3 appearances but have generated 6 tournament credits. So who’s leeching from who?  You’re welcome. 

On 12/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, RSF said:

I truly don’t understand what is happening with this dude. Like WTF is he going off about like Wyoming is some world beater?

I want all MWC teams to do well, but this whole thing is bizarre. I’d assume it was a troll, but it keeps going. So strange.

:popcorn:

On 12/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Ishoot2thrill said:

I truly don’t understand what is happening with this dude. Like WTF is he going off about like Wyoming is some world beater?

I want all MWC teams to do well, but this whole thing is bizarre. I’d assume it was a troll, but it keeps going. So strange.

:popcorn:

It has to be trolling and I bit.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Now that this is official I wonder what years 5, 6, and 7 will look like? By then the impact of an expanded playoff should start to really show up in the recruiting game. We all know NIL has gotten a lot of attention, as it should, but I think the expanded playoff is just as impactful. Also, will it change the direction of conference expansion and end up saving the ACC's bacon down the line?

On 12/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, mugtang said:

At first I thought it was to troll Convert, which is totally valid, but then it kept going. I’ll say it has to be as well, but a strange one to be sure.

Although if it got you maybe a brilliant one? Haha

On 12/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, AztecSU said:

Now that this is official I wonder what years 5, 6, and 7 will look like? By then the impact of an expanded playoff should start to really show up in the recruiting game. We all know NIL has gotten a lot of attention, as it should, but I think the expanded playoff is just as impactful. Also, will it change the direction of conference expansion and end up saving the ACC's bacon down the line?

No, I don't think it will.  As lucrative as the CFP is becoming, it's still a back seat to the regular season TV deals.  The big name schools will continue to gravitate towards the Big 10 and SEC.  And that includes the top of the ACC.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, mugtang said:

I don't worry about whether it's trolling or not.  It's fun jumping in with both feet.  If people say stupid shit intentionally or not, it matters not.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, RSF said:

No, I don't think it will.  As lucrative as the CFP is becoming, it's still a back seat to the regular season TV deals.  The big name schools will continue to gravitate towards the Big 10 and SEC.  And that includes the top of the ACC.

I dont think recruits care about how lucrative a tv deal is though. They care about prestige and playing time, chances to win ships'. Certainly the P2 will be the top conferences providing those opportunities. But now its officially easier to get to the CFP as the top school in the PAC/ACC than it is as the top few schools in the P2. Thats going to effect where talent goes imo. 

On 12/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, AztecSU said:

I dont think recruits care about how lucrative a tv deal is though. They care about prestige and playing time, chances to win ships'. Certainly the P2 will be the top conferences providing those opportunities. But now its officially easier to get to the CFP as the top school in the PAC/ACC than it is as the top few schools in the P2. Thats going to effect where talent goes imo. 

But it's not going to affect where the schools go.  This is a train that started in the early 80s.  It's not going to stop now.  The only school this may affect directly is Notre Dame.  Their independence is secured.

The talent will continue to go where it's always gone.  NIL will affect it, but I doubt the the playoff will.  Because the playoff, for the most part, will continue to be made up of the same schools.  Just more of them.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:04 AM, RSF said:

But it's not going to affect where the schools go.  This is a train that started in the early 80s.  It's not going to stop now.  The only school this may affect directly is Notre Dame.  Their independence is secured.

The talent will continue to go where it's always gone.  NIL will affect it, but I doubt the the playoff will.  Because the playoff, for the most part, will continue to be made up of the same schools.  Just more of them.

The playoff should affect it a little bit, seemed like all the highest end talent was going to Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St, and Clemson because that's where you had to go to win a title. This along with NIL should help spread that out a little bit which should give maybe 12 schools a chance at the title instead of the 4 that we've had. Those schools will still be great but at least we won't have these stacked teams that are all but guaranteed top 4 spots every year. It might at least give the G5 teams a chance to win a playoff game because the talent disparity won't be so huge and at worst it helps out more of the fringe teams and allows other P5 schools to have the stars align occasionally and find their way in to the playoff

On 12/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, LakesideVibes said:

The playoff should affect it a little bit, seemed like all the highest end talent was going to Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St, and Clemson because that's where you had to go to win a title. This along with NIL should help spread that out a little bit which should give maybe 12 schools a chance at the title instead of the 4 that we've had. Those schools will still be great but at least we won't have these stacked teams that are all but guaranteed top 4 spots every year. It might at least give the G5 teams a chance to win a playoff game because the talent disparity won't be so huge and at worst it helps out more of the fringe teams and allows other P5 schools to have the stars align occasionally and find their way in to the playoff

The PAC12 and ACC are definitely going to benefit. Even if their top brands continue to want to jump to the P2. The champ of each conf is basically guaranteed a playoff spot. That probably helps the top 3/4 schools in each conf recruiting wise. But I think RSF is right about the overall trend. That said if players start to spread out more that could lead to the P2 seeming less dominant a decade from now and hopefully helps valuations of the other non P2 conferences. We'll see. 

On 12/2/2022 at 10:04 AM, RSF said:

The only school this may affect directly is Notre Dame.

Am I understanding the new format correctly that the highest tournament seed notre Dame could get is 5? If the top 4 conferences winners get a bye, then couldn’t notre dame finish 12-0 and #1 in the rankings and still have to play the first round?

On 12/2/2022 at 12:40 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Am I understanding the new format correctly that the highest tournament seed notre Dame could get is 5? If the top 4 conferences winners get a bye, then couldn’t notre dame finish 12-0 and #1 in the rankings and still have to play the first round?

Top 4 seeds get bye's in the first round. Notre Dame highest they can achieve as an Indy is #5 Seed. Which the 8 remaining seeds would play the other non-Top 4 seeds. Notre Dame would be playing the #12 seed in the first Playoff game, then that winner plays the 4th seed in the following game.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Top 4 seeds get bye's in the first round. Notre Dame highest they can achieve as an Indy is #5 Seed. Which the 8 remaining seeds would play the other non-Top 4 seeds. Notre Dame would be playing the #12 seed in the first Playoff game, then play the 4th seed in the following matchup

Seems like a pretty good incentive to join a conference…

On 12/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It may even be 7th, after the champs.  An at large berth only.  I don't think that's been made clear.  But yes, they will have to start in the 1st round.

On 12/2/2022 at 4:45 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Seems like a pretty good incentive to join a conference…

Just the opposite.  The Notre Dame AD was on the playoff expansion committee that designed the plan.  They know this is the price of independence, and they're good with it.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, RSF said:

It may even be 7th, after the champs.  An at large berth only.  I don't think that's been made clear.  But yes, they will have to start in the 1st round.

ESPN displayed an example using this year (they could of course be incorrect on their version), but from what they state the 6 Conference Champs are guaranteed an auto-bid but not automatically given the Top 6 seeds (Only Top 4 champs get seeds #1-4, Champs 5 and 6 do not) based on rankings.

How a 12-team playoff would look today

Championship week games and the final playoff rankings for this year are still to come, but based on the current CFP rankings, an expanded playoff would look like this:

Seeds with byes

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC

Remaining seeds
(conference champs in bold)

5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State
9. Clemson
10. Kansas State
11. Utah
12. Tulane

First-round games

No. 12 Tulane at No. 5 Ohio State
No. 11 Utah at No. 6 Alabama
No. 10 Kansas State at No. 7 Tennessee
No. 9 Clemson at No. 8 Penn State

Quarterfinal games

No. 9 Clemson-No. 8 Penn State winner vs. No. 1 Georgia
No. 10 Kansas State-No. 7 Tennessee winner vs. No. 2 Michigan
No. 11 Utah-No. 6 Alabama winner vs. No. 3 TCU
No. 12 Tulane-No. 5 Ohio State winner vs. No. 4 USC

On 12/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, RSF said:

I look forward to 13-0 Notre Dame getting shellacked in the second round after their heisman contender Nick Teo-Kekua goes down with an injury the previous week while leading 63-28 in the third quarter, which was also the closest 12/5 matchup in the tournaments history. 

On 12/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

ESPN displayed an example using this year (they could of course be incorrect on their version), but from what they state the 6 Conference Champs are guaranteed an auto-bid but not the Top 6 seeds based on rankings.

This makes the most sense. Win and you're in but it doesn't determine seeding. So we will get the top 6 champions and the top 6 ranked who weren't champions. Seems straightforward actually. IOW, G5 champ will likely always be the lowest seed outside rare exceptions.