Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AZdogFan

CFP Officially Expanding

On 12/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise has a tough non-conference slate in 2024 with typically one of the better SBC teams, two PAC teams, and a Houston team that will already have had a class of Big 12 recruits.

That's the kind of OOC schedule you're going to want to have to make it into the playoffs.  For G5's strength of schedule is going to matter IMO. 

In 2024 SDSU has 

vs Wazzu

@ Cal

vs Portland St

@ CMU

vs CSU, Hawaii, AFA, and WYO

@ USU, UNM, UNLV, and Fresno

We'll probably have to run the table with that schedule.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Nevada Convert said:

You don’t know anything about Nevada athletics. Sandoval is the new president, and he’s huge on athletics. He can’t double the budget overnight mostly based on politics, but it’s going to get much much better in the next few years. 

Nobody currently in the mountain west is dropping down. Nevada, Hawaii, and probably CSU will get it together in football within a couple years and be solid. On top of that athletics at Nevada does seem to be moving in a good direction with the new AD and president, looks like a lot of the current facility issues will be fixed and basketball is set for a while with the recent facility improvements and the locker room/player lounge upgrade that will be done by early 2024.

The Mountain West is really in a great spot now in football with the playoff expansion and SJSUs recent success. If UNLV and New Mexico could improve as well along with Nevada and Hawaii there wouldn't be a truly bad team in the conference.

bait.gif

On 12/1/2022 at 11:20 AM, slappy said:

This really hurts the MW.  The bottom feeders in this conference drag down the rankings ratings and any chance for our champ to be included.  

Reno

Hawaii

Unlv

CSU

NM

If we can get 2 or three of these type programs to move we would be sitting in the driver seat.  They drag us down year after year.  

I think a 2 loss Tulane team or a 3 loss UCF teams goes this year.  Man times have changed. 

It's laughable you include Nevada on this list.  Since 2012 here are the number of times each team has been bowl eligible:

Boise State    11
San Diego State    11
Air Force    8
Utah State    8
Nevada    7
Fresno State    7
Colorado State    5
Wyoming    5
Hawaii    4
San Jose State    4
New Mexico    2
UNLV    1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 12/1/2022 at 12:37 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, are you really that stupid? We were 8-4 last year. Nevada has always been an upper half program. CSU has all the ingredients to do well, as well. You forgot New Mexico. They’ve been down a long time. Hawaii has been down most of the time, as well. UNLV has been down all of the time. You don’t have to worry about CSU or Nevada. 

Hawaii has had a .500 or better season in 4 of the last 7 years (losing records of Rolo's 3-9 2017, Graham's 6-7 2021 and Timmy's 3-10 2022) that includes a 2019 CG appearance since we dealt with Chow. Since JJ's first year in 1999 the Hawaii program has had a 158-153 record that includes the 4 seasons (3-9, 1-11. 4-9, 3-10) of Chow ball. If only we went through with the Koetter hiring instead of Chow back in 2012...

On 12/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, slappy said:

I think we know what Reno is by now.  Great a new president.   There is no money for a decent football program.  Get upset if you want but Hawaii and Reno don’t fiscally belong.  And it shows on the field year in and year out.   The glory days of Reno football are all WAC and Big Sky based.   There is a reason for that.  

Good luck in basketball this year. 

Yet, you consistently fail to mention UNM and UNLV.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/1/2022 at 11:05 AM, AZdogFan said:

Starting in the '24-'25 season the CFP will be 12 teams: 

Top six ranked conference champions get auto-bids (regardless of conference), six at-large. Top four get a first-round bye, 5-8 host 9-12 either on campus or "another site designated by the higher-seeded institution".

Damn, I read this thread title and thought it was about Cougar Frog’s Penis Officially Expanding. Glad to find out it’s much better news. 

I’m just kidding around, @Cougar/Frog

kat.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, slappy said:

I know there are a lot of options.  I think financially Reno and Hawaii are looking for a way to drop down.   They are in the worst shape financially in the league.  And they cant really compete here.  CSU is embarrassing to the entire conference.  Not only are they poor on the field, they are worse as people and a community.  Easy choices in my opinion. We would be so much better off

You're right, financially Nevada is towards the bottom of the conference.  But some of us think that on field/court production should count for something.  We've held our own in FB, BB & Baseball.  The new president, former 2 term governor, has only been here for a couple of years & he has already increased athletic & academic spending.  New athletic facility improvements plus he's hired some nationally known researchers.  Attendance will always be bad with 33 degree kickoffs for televised games.  Would like to see a list of schools you'd like to replace us with?        

On 12/1/2022 at 2:58 PM, slappy said:

I think we know what Reno is by now.  Great a new president.   There is no money for a decent football program.  Get upset if you want but Hawaii and Reno don’t fiscally belong.  And it shows on the field year in and year out.   The glory days of Reno football are all WAC and Big Sky based.   There is a reason for that.  

Good luck in basketball this year. 

And when were Wyoming’s glory days? The 50s? 60s?

We have a better conference record than Wyoming in both football and basketball since 2012 when we joined the league. Wyoming would benefit more than any MW program by dropping to the Big Sky along with their peer institutions.

Let's see how it goes after the AAC gets reorganized. MW did it about 10 years ago. Do you think there is any question that if TCU and Utah were still here there would be any dispute about #6? Possibly #5. 

I do wish UNM was pulling it's own weight. Hopefully soon. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

I’ve seen some sentiment about the lower tier bowls that our teams typically play in being relegated to the equivalent of the cbi post-expansion.

Couple things there. 1) what are they now? and 2) the big difference is that america LOVES football. Preseason nfl games get massive ratings despite not counting in the standings and most of the players being practice squad caliber at best. If you think people won’t watch the Bahamas bowl between uab and the other Miami on a Friday morning because they’re saving themselves for the playoffs then you don’t know us like you think you do. We’re junkies. Not only will we watch, we will be in multiple gambling sites making prop bets simultaneously. 

The cbi is a fart in a windstorm by comparison. 

On 12/1/2022 at 3:17 PM, mugtang said:

It's laughable you include Nevada on this list.  Since 2012 here are the number of times each team has been bowl eligible:

Boise State    11
San Diego State    11
Air Force    8
Utah State    8
Nevada    7
Fresno State    7
Colorado State    5
Wyoming    5
Hawaii    4
San Jose State    4
New Mexico    2
UNLV    1

You have not invested any money into your programs.  Reno took this on with the hopes that TV money would fund this jump.  Well it hasn’t, and now we are left with a team who has no upward potential moving forward.   Under .500 play in conference since joining the MW coupled with the inability to fund your athletics at this level creates a recipe that is not beneficial to us moving forward.  All programs go through ups and down with coaching, but when you can not fund your athletic programs sufficiently you are dead weight.  

On 12/1/2022 at 4:52 PM, Nevada Convert said:

You don’t think I can spot live bait? Sometimes it’s fun just to play along and make slappycamper look dumb. 

Trying to make your big sky budget work in the MW is not going to help the MW make noise in the playoffs.  If you can’t understand that then I guess I can not help you. 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, bigd said:

We have a better conference record than Wyoming in both football and basketball since 2012 when we joined the league. Wyoming would benefit more than any MW program by dropping to the Big Sky along with their peer institutions.

Go suck a bag of c-cks you ignorant wretch.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 12/1/2022 at 7:06 PM, bigd said:

This is about building towards the playoffs and building a conference that when the winner is crowned they get a bid to the playoffs.  

Wyoming will spend its money on football.  We will help and pull our own weight.  You are leaching right now, with No plan on building.   You hired a president.   Great.  Spend some money and push this conference forward. 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:51 PM, slappy said:

You have not invested any money into your programs.  Reno took this on with the hopes that TV money would fund this jump.  Well it hasn’t, and now we are left with a team who has no upward potential moving forward.   Under .500 play in conference since joining the MW coupled with the inability to fund your athletics at this level creates a recipe that is not beneficial to us moving forward.  All programs go through ups and down with coaching, but when you can not fund your athletic programs sufficiently you are dead weight.  

What can we say?  We've shown that we've done just as well or better then you have over the last ten years with your mineral rich State feeding your coffers.

At a recent press conference our coach said our NIL package will compete with any G5.  Payments start in Jan.  We'll see how it all works out.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:51 PM, slappy said:

sam winchester yawn GIF

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 12/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, slappy said:

This is about building towards the playoffs and building a conference that when the winner is crowned they get a bid to the playoffs.  

Wyoming will spend its money on football.  We will help and pull our own weight.  You are leaching right now, with No plan on building.   You hired a president.   Great.  Spend some money and push this conference forward. 

For some reason I thought you were a Boise fan, I’d expect this kind of attitude from some of them.  But from a Wyoming fan?! LMFAO. Don’t throw stones in glass houses bro.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

On 12/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, Jeffkills said:

This sucks.  I was hoping our conference champion would automatically be in.  It kind of seems like the BCS again, except for the playoff, obviously. Lol!

NO conference champion is automatically in.  So quit yer bitchin.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.