Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AZdogFan

CFP Officially Expanding

Starting in the '24-'25 season the CFP will be 12 teams: 

Top six ranked conference champions get auto-bids (regardless of conference), six at-large. Top four get a first-round bye, 5-8 host 9-12 either on campus or "another site designated by the higher-seeded institution".

This really hurts the MW.  The bottom feeders in this conference drag down the rankings ratings and any chance for our champ to be included.  

Reno

Hawaii

Unlv

CSU

NM

If we can get 2 or three of these type programs to move we would be sitting in the driver seat.  They drag us down year after year.  

I think a 2 loss Tulane team or a 3 loss UCF teams goes this year.  Man times have changed. 

On 12/1/2022 at 11:20 AM, slappy said:

This really hurts the MW.  The bottom feeders in this conference drag down the rankings ratings and any chance for our champ to be included.  

Reno

Hawaii

Unlv

CSU

NM

If we can get 2 or three of these type programs to move we would be sitting in the driver seat.  They drag us down year after year.  

I think a 2 loss Tulane team or a 3 loss UCF teams goes this year.  Man times have changed. 

A 12-1 Boise would be getting in over the AAC champ this year.   Bad year for the MWC.  No reason the MWC champ can't be undefeated next year.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

On 12/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Cougar/Frog said:

A 12-1 Boise would be getting in over the AAC champ this year.   Bad year for the MWC.  No reason the MWC champ can't be undefeated next year.

That’s my point.  It takes an undefeated or possibly 1 loss champ to go.  AAC sends a 3 and 2 loss champ.  Tulane???  Are you serious.  

MW doesn’t really have a top tier football team.  But what really kills the conference is our bottom.  Reno CSU Hawaii.  They kill us.   They are a big problem.  

we need to make some changes as a conference to move forward.  Cutting the fat would enable a real shot to reach the playoffs.  Otherwise it may take a long time for us to get in.  

On 12/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, slappy said:

That’s my point.  It takes an undefeated or possibly 1 loss champ to go.  AAC sends a 3 and 2 loss champ.  Tulane???  Are you serious.  

MW doesn’t really have a top tier football team.  But what really kills the conference is our bottom.  Reno CSU Hawaii.  They kill us.   They are a big problem.  

we need to make some changes as a conference to move forward.  Cutting the fat would enable a real shot to reach the playoffs.  Otherwise it may take a long time for us to get in.  

Geeez, 1 bad year & we're lumped in with the perennials.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

NY6 is truly important again.  The CFP made the non-playoff NY6 bowl games a little lessened.  I like it, because it doesn't really negatively affect the little guy, but gives the little guy, to include non-blueblood P5 squads a chance.  

When you look at the push back for all these years on why not to have a playoff, then why not expand it for so many years, it's dumb considering now all the brass realize the huge $$$ increases. It was there before.

The Blue bloods will still have all the nice toys and best players because they can control NIL payouts.

But hot damn, now the magic of the NCAA basketball tourney is alive and well in football with soon to be Cinderella stories. 

While this probably hurts the use of the non-playoff bowl games that feels like would be relegated to something similar to the pay-in post-season basketball tournaments (CIT, CBI, etc.). 

It's nice to see expansion of the system to something more even footing for everyone in FBS (besides NLI deals, TV deals, and conference "prestige").

On 12/1/2022 at 12:57 PM, slappy said:

It's interesting you list teams that have made numerous Bowl appearances  the last 5-10 years and are currently down at the moment.

Yet, you neglected to mention the true anchors.

Bowl Appearances the last ten years:

Sparty 3

UNM 2

UNLV 1

Old timers disease or prejudice ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

While this probably hurts the use of the non-playoff bowl games that feels like would be relegated to something similar to the pay-in post-season basketball tournaments (CIT, CBI, etc.). 

It's nice to see expansion of the system to something more even footing for everyone in FBS (besides NLI deals, TV deals, and conference "prestige").

Already seemed like it since BCS started.  People make jokes all the time when people with bigger names go to the "smaller bowls"  Citrus, Gator/Outback, Liberty, Holiday all use to be big names, but got neutered by BCS.  As long as there enough channels and enough casual viewers to have the ad $$ be greater than the costs, they will still have them, and I will still watch.  

I think it is still the highest ranked champion from that conference. I am guessing that will be the team with the fewest losses. If it was a year like this and somehow Purdue were able to upset Michigan, two of them might make it as automatic qualifiers. 

On 12/1/2022 at 12:30 PM, Spaztecs said:

It's interesting you list teams that have made numerous Bowl appearances  the last 5-10 years and are currently down at the moment.

Yet, you neglected to mention the true anchors.

Bowl Appearances the last ten years:

Sparty 3

UNM 2

UNLV 0

Old timers disease or prejudice ?

I know there are a lot of options.  I think financially Reno and Hawaii are looking for a way to drop down.   They are in the worst shape financially in the league.  And they cant really compete here.  CSU is embarrassing to the entire conference.  Not only are they poor on the field, they are worse as people and a community.  Easy choices in my opinion. We would be so much better off

On 12/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, slappy said:

Dude, are you really that stupid? We were 8-4 last year. Nevada has always been an upper half program. CSU has all the ingredients to do well, as well. You forgot New Mexico. They’ve been down a long time. Hawaii has been down most of the time, as well. UNLV has been down all of the time. You don’t have to worry about CSU or Nevada. 

kat.jpg

Boise has a tough non-conference slate in 2024 with typically one of the better SBC teams, two PAC teams, and a Houston team that will already have had a class of Big 12 recruits.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, slappy said:

I know there are a lot of options.  I think financially Reno and Hawaii are looking for a way to drop down.   They are in the worst shape financially in the league.  And they cant really compete here.  CSU is embarrassing to the entire conference.  Not only are they poor on the field, they are worse as people and a community.  Easy choices in my opinion. We would be so much better off

You don’t know anything about Nevada athletics. Sandoval is the new president, and he’s huge on athletics. He can’t double the budget overnight mostly based on politics, but it’s going to get much much better in the next few years. 

kat.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Nevada Convert said:

You don’t know anything about Nevada athletics. Sandoval is the new president, and he’s huge on athletics. He can’t double the budget overnight mostly based on politics, but it’s going to get much much better in the next few years. 

I think we know what Reno is by now.  Great a new president.   There is no money for a decent football program.  Get upset if you want but Hawaii and Reno don’t fiscally belong.  And it shows on the field year in and year out.   The glory days of Reno football are all WAC and Big Sky based.   There is a reason for that.  

Good luck in basketball this year.