Photo

CBO: 2.3 million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

"We got outfought," San Diego State coach Steve Fisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Discuss

http://www.cbsnews.c...on-report-says/

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

#2 just_chris

just_chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

I think the 1st paragraph says it all ..... More people will choose to work less, I think to say 2.3 million jobs would be "lost" isn't accurate. Obviously you will have some smaller companies that choose to have fewer full time employees but I think the article is trying to blame Obamacare for people electing to work less because of their new healthcare.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

#3 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

I think the 1st paragraph says it all ..... More people will choose to work less, I think to say 2.3 million jobs would be "lost" isn't accurate. Obviously you will have some smaller companies that choose to have fewer full time employees but I think the article is trying to blame Obamacare for people electing to work less because of their new healthcare.

No you're right....CBS has always had a conservative agenda. I think they're definitely out to make Obama look bad. Dam Republican media. I'm glad you're able to find a way to spin 2.5 million fewer jobs into a positive. Carney? Is that you?

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

#4 wyorev

wyorev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

No you're right....CBS has always had a conservative agenda. I think they're definitely out to make Obama look bad. Dam Republican media. I'm glad you're able to find a way to spin 2.5 million fewer jobs into a positive. Carney? Is that you?

I'm surprised you're putting so much faith into the CBO now, Coog.

Why should Wyoming become like everywhere else when everywhere else wishes it were more like Wyoming?

Posted Image

#5 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm surprised you're putting so much faith into the CBO now, Coog.

When have I bashed the CBO?

#6 wyorev

wyorev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

When have I bashed the CBO?

Oh, I don't know of a specific occasion.  I just figured with your political leanings, the CBO would have no pull with you. 

Mostly just a silly comment!

Why should Wyoming become like everywhere else when everywhere else wishes it were more like Wyoming?

Posted Image

#7 landpoke

landpoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Not to defend the law, because I'm not a fan, but it does say the workforce will decline and not that jobs will be lost.  And nobody should defend the CBO.  In fact there should be a logical fallacy called Appeal to CBO or some such. 

#8 happycamper

happycamper

Tired of "one year away" talk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Not to defend the law, because I'm not a fan, but it does say the workforce will decline and not that jobs will be lost.  And nobody should defend the CBO.  In fact there should be a logical fallacy called Appeal to CBO or some such. 

But it cranks out so much stuff you can use it to argue whatever and your source sounds kinda official!

#9 just_chris

just_chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm only pointing out what the article stated in that the decline would be in large due to those choosing to work less or retire early because they now can.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

#10 pokebball

pokebball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

I'm only pointing out what the article stated in that the decline would be in large due to those choosing to work less or retire early because they now can.

Shifting costs from employers to the federal government.

#11 roswellcoug

roswellcoug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

But so many more uninsured will now have medical insurance!

A worthwhile trade-off.  :rolleyes:

#12 HR_Poke

HR_Poke

SGF Cultural Nemesis.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,894 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Shifting costs from employers to the federal government.

yep. Federal subsidies are worth more than working those extra hours

#13 crixus

crixus

Go Spartans!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

The problem is on both sides. Our medical $ystem is full of corruption, and there are those that are too freakin' lazy to work. Cheaters on both sides! 

*SAN JOSE STATE HAS USED THE SPARTANS NAME SINCE 1925, WHILE MICHIGAN STATE ADOPTED IT THE FOLLOWING YEAR*

#14 smltwnrckr

smltwnrckr

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yea, I want to know this... Are we talking about potential emplyees dropping out of the workforce, or jobs being lost?  The workforce one makes sense, because how many people will just stop looking for stable work now that they have government health care since benefits are often a huge incentive to get a real job? And if that's the case, then it's going to be reflected in unemployment by continuing to lower the numbers which the democrats will use to say the law is just dandy.

For every difficult problem, there's a solution that's simple, neat and wrong.

—H. L. Mencken

#15 landpoke

landpoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

But it cranks out so much stuff you can use it to argue whatever and your source sounds kinda official!

And its non-partisan!  No slam on the good people there as they're only allowed to analyze a scenario within whatever narrow parameters and using whatever assumptions the requesting party gives them.  Garbage in, garbage out. 

#16 landpoke

landpoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Yea, I want to know this... Are we talking about potential emplyees dropping out of the workforce, or jobs being lost?  The workforce one makes sense, because how many people will just stop looking for stable work now that they have government health care since benefits are often a huge incentive to get a real job? And if that's the case, then it's going to be reflected in unemployment by continuing to lower the numbers which the democrats will use to say the law is just dandy.

If you skim the part where they talk about this (and I'm not encouraging anyone to do so, because it's dull as dirt) they do say there will probably be some job losses due to the law.  I didn't see them put a number to that anywhere. 

#17 renoskier

renoskier

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

My understanding is that the job "loss" will primarily come from people working less, not necessarily completely dropping out of the workforce. They will look to stay under the "4X poverty" level so as to maximize their subsidy. Begs the question, wouldn't this mean that there would be the equivalent of 2.3 million new job openings? Companies will have to cover at least some of the lost hours.

#18 pokebball

pokebball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

My understanding is that the job "loss" will primarily come from people working less, not necessarily completely dropping out of the workforce. They will look to stay under the "4X poverty" level so as to maximize their subsidy. Begs the question, wouldn't this mean that there would be the equivalent of 2.3 million new job openings? Companies will have to cover at least some of the lost hours.

Younger workers would rather pay the penalty than participate in either the employer's or exchange's insurance.

#19 Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer

War Beaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,552 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm not a guy who wants 70 year old people to have to work, but taking more people out of the taxpaying pool isn't a good thing. 

The Baby Boomers have saddled us with unsustainable debt and entitlements, and if 2.3 million people leave the workforce, then the rest of us have to make those entitlements up.

Posted Image

#20 RaisinsofWrath

RaisinsofWrath

Life is to short to read lousy books - Dirt Sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Damn.....Obamacare & American Collectivism rolled into one....  guiding us to a lower standard of living.....

Dirt Sorcerer

#21 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

I was more referencing the part where you said "...the article is trying to blame ObamaCare", as if CBS had an agenda against him and wasn't painting an accurate picture.

#22 Boise fan

Boise fan

"Bronco Shakespeare"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

The second paragraph is the most telling, imo.

"Republicans, already intent on making the controversial health care law a 2014 campaign issue, seized on the new data from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) to argue the law is hurting the economy."

Is it any surprise the OP jumped on this?

:rolleyes:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

#23 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Not getting better for the libs......

The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office delivered a damning assessment Wednesday of the Affordable Care Act, telling lawmakers that ObamaCare creates a "disincentive for people to work,"

Good for Obama....now he'll be know as the President that during a recession, passed a huge legislative piece that created a "disincentive for people to work". SMH

#24 Boise fan

Boise fan

"Bronco Shakespeare"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, it's so much better that the elderly have to continue working to afford the high cost of their medicine. 

I can picture you at your local Denny's.  "Hurry up and serve me, Grandma!  I don't give a rat's azz about your medical conditions!"

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

#25 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, it's so much better that the elderly have to continue working to afford the high cost of their medicine. 

I can picture you at your local Denny's.  "Hurry up and serve me, Grandma!  I don't give a rat's azz about your medical conditions!"

Boise Fan....spot on as usual. That's a great point....I hadn't realized that until ObamaCare went into effect this year, the elderly had no access to medicine or health care. Good thing this passed.....I always wondered why the elderly still worked at strip clubs and served my food at McDonald's. Too bad we had absolutely nothing in place to help elderly before ObamaCare. If there were such a program though, I'd suggest the name Medicare...has a nice ring to it don't you think. While we're pretending...let's pretend ObamaCare actually didn't make cuts to Medicare.