Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogueStout

Qualcomm Stadium: "An insult to dumps everywhere"

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/16/qualcomm-stadium/

A couple lines I found interesting:

The JumboTron is so old that some replacement parts can only be found on eBay. There’s no capacity for a hi-definition video board or for new electronic signage. In an era in which the NFL is trying to heighten the stadium experience to allow fans to keep up with scores and stats from other games via their smartphones, connectivity is limited in part by structural issues within the stadium. (At the preseason opener this year, one Chargers exec could not communicate via email with his staff during the game because of poor wifi.) White trash bags cover large electrical connectors that hang from a lower wall, and cracks are visible in the concrete in various places. Heavy rains often cause the drainage systems to back up, which is why the team has rubber boots on hand for fans whose seats are flooded. It’s not uncommon for sewage to leak onto the field and into the visiting locker room. According to an independent audit performed for the city, the stadium needs $70 million in maintenance and repairs.

qualcomm.jpg?w=800&h=800

the reality is that the city already is spending roughly $15 million a year to maintain Qualcomm and the San Diego Sports Arena, both of which it owns.

So Aztec fans, if the Bolts do end up splitting town, will you guys then have to foot the bill for the Football stadium portion of the $70 million in repairs? Or will the rent at the least turn into the Football stadium portion of the $15 million a year?

That could make an on-campus facility a no brainer.

I have never been to Qualcomm, is it really as bad as the author makes it out to be? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

We have 5 years to rent the stadium before the city can tear it down.  As a municipal facility, the renter does not pay for maintenance.  The maintenance has been deferred for so long that I wouldn't see much of a scenario where the wouldn't knock it down after the five.  

Had no idea it was falling apart like that.

We aren't spoiled brats complaining, there is not much upside, other than it is all chairback and on the trolley line.  It's big, old, bad sightline, wrong colors, bland concrete desert tailgating, and off campus.  I am confident we will raise the money to get a decent facility when we actually need it.

We have 5 years to rent the stadium before the city can tear it down. As a municipal facility, the renter does not pay for maintenance. The maintenance has been deferred for so long that I wouldn't see much of a scenario where the wouldn't knock it down after the five.

Are you saying you think the city will tear it down in five years? Sorry that phrasing isn't clear to me.

If so wouldn't you want that funding now to start the building process for a seamless transition?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I'm just curious but hypothetically is there anyway possible that the Aztecs could play games at Petco? Honestly I couldn't imagine a more awesome setting smack in the middle of a major city like that. Not saying it's an option but I'd be curious if Petco has teh configuration to host football games. I know they used to do USA 7's there. I think it'd be a great setup for the Poinsettia Bowl as it holds quite a few less people than the Q. Obviously tailgating would suck.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Are you saying you think the city will tear it down in five years? Sorry that phrasing isn't clear to me.

If so wouldn't you want that funding now to start the building process for a seamless transition?

After the Chargers terminate their lease, our five year guarantee kicks in, from my understanding.  So with backwards planning, with a two year projected site prep and build, 1 1/2 to 2 years of finagling, we would have to have a decent push for one year on the funding front.  But as most people know, funding is usually the most at the beginning.  The first year would show good faith for the next two years of additional donation, while we also determine corporate funding, naming rights, student ad Aztec Alumni fee increases and financing sources to show we can build.  I have heard on a couple boards that we have already been earmarking funds for a facility, but I haven't been able to verify.  That would help immensely.

Had no idea it was falling apart like that.

Yeah, it's mainly the section from the stupid expansion they did in the late 90s.

That expansion was the dumbest decision ever.

I'm just curious but hypothetically is there anyway possible that the Aztecs could play games at Petco? Honestly I couldn't imagine a more awesome setting smack in the middle of a major city like that. Not saying it's an option but I'd be curious if Petco has teh configuration to host football games. I know they used to do USA 7's there. I think it'd be a great setup for the Poinsettia Bowl as it holds quite a few less people than the Q. Obviously tailgating would suck.

The dimensions wouldn't work.  The seating is permanent.

ETA:  on second thought, it may.  But that would be a nightmare, if it were. 

The dimensions wouldn't work.  The seating is permanent.

Oh, well Balboa Stadium is still around right :D

Now I'm being serious when I ask as it's been a few years since I've been to the Q but are we looking at a potential Olympic Stadium (Montreal) crumbling here where it could become a safety hazard.

Oh, well Balboa Stadium is still around right :D

Now I'm being serious when I ask as it's been a few years since I've been to the Q but are we looking at a potential Olympic Stadium (Montreal) crumbling here where it could become a safety hazard.

I don't think so.  I think structurally, it works, and will for a while.  It's just the inner workings are crap.  I've seen pictures of the larger Balboa stadium, it would have held us.  I wish we wouldn't have plopped Viejas on our old stadium.  But I wasn't around when they did, I am sure it was a good reason.

Aztecs need to dial 1-800-CSU-RAMS.

Seriously, you're in a rented POS.  We own our POS.  You're in a much better position as you can just terminate a lease.  Other than that we've got the same problem.  Might want to have Sterk contact Jack Graham for some insight on the challenges he's about to face.

Seriously, you're in a rented POS.  We own our POS.  You're in a much better position as you can just terminate a lease.  Other than that we've got the same problem.  Might want to have Sterk contact Jack Graham for some insight on the challenges he's about to face.

Maybe he can give some water color painting tips :D

I've never thought of Jack Murphy as a dump.

For the average fan experience its not, other than lack of restrooms and some not so great sight lines. It's the expansion and some of the infrastructure that are a mess.

Maybe he can give some water color painting tips :D

Lol, I know right? Like CSU is the only school that ever put a plan together to build a stadium.

I think Stanford would be a better place to lob a call to.

Went to the Holiday Bowl last year.  Baylor vs. UCLA.  By the way, I'm not sure I have ever seen a softer defense than UCLA's that night.

I was a little surprised how much the Q has gone downhill.  I guess if the city owns it and they are losing 15M per year, they don't have a ton of motivation to keep it up.

The last time I was there was probably 5 years ago.  It seemed much worse now.

It would be great if SUDS could get a nice 50K college FB stadium built on or near campus.

Sound like the mayor of SD is too busy chasing skirts around the office to be bothered with trivial matters like football stadiums.

Went to the Holiday Bowl last year.  Baylor vs. UCLA.  By the way, I'm not sure I have ever seen a softer defense than UCLA's that night.

I was a little surprised how much the Q has gone downhill.  I guess if the city owns it and they are losing 15M per year, they don't have a ton of motivation to keep it up.

The last time I was there was probably 5 years ago.  It seemed much worse now.

It would be great if SUDS could get a nice 50K college FB stadium built on or near campus.

Those stadiums can get old fast if they stop putting money into them.  I haven't been there since the Padres-Braves NLCS, so it's been a while.  It would be awesome if SDSU had a college stadium like you were saying.  Damn, it's expensive now though.  In CA you're paying prevailing wage for anything public like that too, which doubles or triples the cost.

Maybe the city would help with the costs of a SDSU/MLS stadium or something along those lines.