Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

Maybe loyalty isn't dead?

I guess we can legitimately surmise that FSU and UNLV (and maybe others) in the MWC told the nBE to stick it?

Perhaps Thompson's greatest achievement wasn't getting Boise back, but getting the remaining members to hang tough and show some loyalty?

And mad props to Air Force for providing the example that others followed.

The future of the MWC looks bright indeed!

I agree I think CT's greatest accomplishment was getting his members to stick to the MW, and not leave to the Big East. Showing that the MW was stable and would not budge on a Big East offer.

Boise St wouldn't even be in the discussion of coming back if UNLV, AFA, and Fresno moved on to the Big East.

I do think loyalty played a big part...as, of course, did the realization that the money wasn't going to be much better, if at all. Had a casual conversation with an associate AD a few weeks ago and he really led me to believe that the unified front approach would see this through. Never know if you're getting the straight dirt when you talk about this stuff, but he's was right. Our AD was also on local TV last week (link's still up at KGPE 47) really talking up the new TV deal...that sealed it for me knowing that we weren't blinking.

Add in Air Force for saying No many times to the BE. In addition we can thank the UNLV president for spearheading the TV talks as I understand it anyway.

Best thing that happened was getting COMCAST out of our TV contract

While UNLV and Fresno certainly played a hand I think we all owe Air Force a thank you, with them saying no the door and showing how important they valued their rivalries with Wyoming and CSU the door was left open for others to stand strong. Had Air Force bolted it's very likely UNLV and Fresno would have as well.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

While UNLV and Fresno certainly played a hand I think we all owe Air Force a thank you, with them saying no the door and showing how important they valued their rivalries with Wyoming and CSU the door was left open for others to stand strong. Had Air Force bolted it's very likely UNLV and Fresno would have as well.

Yup. I think AFA was the key to keeping the MWC together.

I guess we can legitimately surmise that FSU and UNLV (and maybe others) in the MWC told the nBE to stick it?

Perhaps Thompson's greatest achievement wasn't getting Boise back, but getting the remaining members to hang tough and show some loyalty?

BYU

Airforce

UNLV

And another MW school

All turned down the BE before SDSU was invited.

We appreciate the gratitude but we were never going to go. It was a bad deal. I don't think we should be given hero status for using common sense.

Sometimes I like to speculate. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about.

1. Air Force standing strong with the front range..

2. Adding 2 BCS Top 25 football teams.

3. Modifying the contract.

4. Fresno/SJSU holding together

A lot of stars had to align and they did.

Amen! Those guys made it work. They deserve a National TV bonus. (ha!)

BYU

Airforce

UNLV

And another MW school

All turned down the BE before SDSU was invited.

We appreciate the gratitude but we were never going to go. It was a bad deal. I don't think we should be given hero status for using common sense.

I don't recall UNLV being invited until later?

Yup. I think AFA was the key to keeping the MWC together.

I think AFADad was the catalyst... Oh wait. He had his bags packed. Oh how fondly I remember K5 calling AFADad BlueRules and ridiculing him for wanting to join the BL. ha.

Whatever happened to New Mexico and Colorado St forming a new conference??

I think it was smoke blown up the arse of CBS to put pressure on them to negotiate a new TV Contract. I think Boise was serious about a return the day Tulane was added because they knew no Western Schools were joining. There are so many behind the scenes things that go on that we have no idea. I think Kustra and the MWC presidents along with the presidents of Houston/SMU hatched this plan to get the band back together and add a few new members. They fabricated a lot of these stories to force the hand of CBS.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage