Photo

USU at CSU

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#26 usualum

usualum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Well against NDSU and SJSU we struggled against both. Against CU we dominated them pass and run. I'll be curious what happens this weekend cause McElwain is saying the team is improving and so-forth. I expect USU to win this one but if CSU catches a few breaks like last year it could be interesting. Ag day usually brings decent (not great) crouds too. I expect around 24,000 or so.

Curious about the game day ticket scalping situation at Hughes? Will I be able to get 5 together?

#27 jimjam

jimjam

CSU on-campus stadium supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Curious about the game day ticket scalping situation at Hughes? Will I be able to get 5 together?

5 together? maybe.
Get what tickets you can and sit up a little higher on the west side and you can all sit together. Stadium holds 33,000 and expecting around 24,000 for the game so you should be fine.

#28 csuRAMfan08

csuRAMfan08

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

Honestly think USU takes this one. Secondary is beat up (both starting CB's likely out due to injury), the DLine hasn't put up any sort of pass rush against a real team, the Oline is still learning the new blocking schemes (a step slow and not gelling yet), and inconsistencies at the skill positions. We have a long ways to go.

That being said. I really do think things are heading in the right direction for us. At about the midpoint this season I think things will start clicking more and we will be more competitive. The game where we start clicking? Could be USU, but I'm not putting my money on it.

Go Rams!

#29 usualum

usualum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

5 together? maybe.
Get what tickets you can and sit up a little higher on the west side and you can all sit together. Stadium holds 33,000 and expecting around 24,000 for the game so you should be fine.

Gracias. Looking forward to throwing back some beers and sampling the CSU AgDay fare prior to the game.

#30 csuRAMfan08

csuRAMfan08

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

To answer the OP...

Offense:
QB Garrett Grayson is developing, but is still inconsistent. Showed us a bit of the potential last week with some nice rhythm out of the no huddle.
RB Chris Nwoke can be a beast, but he is coming off of injury and may be rusty.
WR Joe Hansley has some real potential, but he is a true frosh and plays like it at times. We need to find out how to use him more.

Defense:
LB Shaq Barrett is all conference material and overall we have a very strong LB group.

#31 USUonU

USUonU

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

To answer the OP...

Offense:
QB Garrett Grayson is developing, but is still inconsistent. Showed us a bit of the potential last week with some nice rhythm out of the no huddle.
RB Chris Nwoke can be a beast, but he is coming off of injury and may be rusty.
WR Joe Hansley has some real potential, but he is a true frosh and plays like it at times. We need to find out how to use him more.

Defense:
LB Shaq Barrett is all conference material and overall we have a very strong LB group.

Thanks. What do your guys play on D, 4-3 or 3-4?

#32 ParkCityAg

ParkCityAg

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

USU's D has been impressive but I've yet to see anything on offense thus far that would lead me to believe that we'll "roll" anyone.

#33 csuRAMfan08

csuRAMfan08

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Thanks. What do your guys play on D, 4-3 or 3-4?

Base 3-4, but you'll see a lot of both.

#34 USUonU

USUonU

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

Base 3-4, but you'll see a lot of both.

Ours is a 3-4 too. We blitz the outside backers a lot, so its kind of like a 4-3 with a stand up DE. We have a lot of different blitz schemes on D. I really like our new defensive coordinator, Dave Aranda (Thanks Hawaii!). He's really creative and unique with his defense, we blitz guys from all over the field.

#35 csuRAMfan08

csuRAMfan08

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Ours is a 3-4 too. We blitz the outside backers a lot, so its kind of like a 4-3 with a stand up DE. We have a lot of different blitz schemes on D. I really like our new defensive coordinator, Dave Aranda (Thanks Hawaii!). He's really creative and unique with his defense, we blitz guys from all over the field.

Very cool! Sounds a lot like what we try to do. It all starts up front with the DL creating opportunities for the LBers getting pressure. That's where we are inconsistent, sounds like you guys have it going on

How about on the other side of the ball? Missing turbin?

#36 USUonU

USUonU

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Very cool! Sounds a lot like what we try to do. It all starts up front with the DL creating opportunities for the LBers getting pressure. That's where we are inconsistent, sounds like you guys have it going on

How about on the other side of the ball? Missing turbin?

Ya we miss him. It's hard to tell how good we are on offense. We didn't look very good against Utah and Wisconsin but those teams have very good defenses. We looked great against SUU but its SUU. The offensive line has been struggling and Keeton hasn't had time to throw. We have some decent receivers but were they're not real fast. Kerwynn Williams is our best back followed by Joe Hill. Neither is very big but Williams has decent speed and Hill is very fast. We're pretty good at running on the edge and have struggled to run between the tackles.

#37 BigBlueDart

BigBlueDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

This is just a guess, but I think USU wins it by a score of 25.11 to 7.25.