Photo

San Jose State at San Diego State

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
180 replies to this topic

#51 SCA

SCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

Based on what? A moral victory against Stanford?

Based on the way San Jose is playing vs the way San Diego is playing. From what I can tell, SDSU's weakness on defense is its passing D.. That plays well into San Jose's strengths. San Jose State gave Stanford's running games fits. I dont think they will be intimidated by SDSU at all.

#52 UNLV2001

UNLV2001

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I see this as a decently close game with SDSU getting the win - home field advantage helps Aztecs get win.............could see a 31-24/31-21 type of score, maybe closer.

#53 k5james

k5james

KYJames AKA Pompous SDSU Fan AKA Your Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Based on the way San Jose is playing vs the way San Diego is playing. From what I can tell, SDSU's weakness on defense is its passing D.. That plays well into San Jose's strengths. San Jose State gave Stanford's running games fits. I dont think they will be intimidated by SDSU at all.

Unless your QB can scramble like North Dakota's QB, he won't have time to pass the ball. We were killed, like always lately, by a QB that can run and throw on the run. Fales isn't that guy.

#54 SCA

SCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Unless your QB can scramble like North Dakota's QB, he won't have time to pass the ball. We were killed, like always lately, by a QB that can run and throw on the run. Fales isn't that guy.

Guess we will see soon enough. Looking forward to this game.

#55 quickdraw

quickdraw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Based on what I've seen so far this year it will be SJSU on top. I'm calling it 31 to 28 but it could be a much bigger win than that, 31 to 14. It should bring a whole new meaning to "Fear the Spear". It will tell us all what the trade off is for MW FB next year.

#56 CaliforniaStateUniversity

CaliforniaStateUniversity

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

You haven't been watching Fales. He's shown over and over again in the first three games that he can make those plays.

All Gold. The rebranded California State University. Est. 1857. Visit us at One Washington Square, San Jose, CA 95192

#57 WillyMac

WillyMac

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Tight tight tight. Aztec by 1

#58 sjsbuff

sjsbuff

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

I, too, think this will be a tight game and have SJSU prevailing 33-31. However, with all the "close call" predictions it's probably going to end up being a case of one team going away. I'm more wrong than I'm right ('tis why I don't bet), but would still lean towards the Spartans in that instance (my middle name isn't "homer," but wouldn't blame Aztec fans for thinking that).

I like the way the Spartans have protected the ball so far this year. Hard to argue the accuracy of QB David Fales (8th in the Nation in accuracy). He's not exactly dinking and dunking to everyone either, as SJSU has turned from begin a largely East-West passing team to more of a North-South passing team, which has been a most welcome development.

As good as SJSU's cadre of WR's have been (Grigsby, Jones and Carr), TE standout Ryan Otten has almost been a non factor (pass-catching, that is), which gives us hope that his ankle will soon be fully healed and he'll continue to be the dangerous target that he's been in year's past.

Am concerned about Senior Left Tackle David Quessenberry, though (ankle injury last weekend). He's been an anchor for the OL. Special teams have been good, if not great. I think SDSU likes to blitz, so if he's not ready then a lot of pressure could be put on his Freshman replacement (Wes Schweitzer).

On Special teams, punting has been solid and our Freshman PK has been perfect - at least until missing a PAT in the 2nd half last week. We have yet to see his mettle in a pressure-cooker situation, but Spartan fans have high hopes for the youngster. Not much going on in the return area, though. It's almost as if (Safety, Kick Returner) Ronnie Yell has been instructed to fair-catch anything and everything that comes his way. Ho-hum there.

I don't know much about SDSU's O-Line, but the Spartan Travis tandem (Johnson and Raciti) are out two best pass rushers. The LB's have been solid, if not spectacular, anchored by Keith Smith, Vince Buhagiar and Derek Muuava.

The game should be entertaining. A high-scoring affair or not, I hope it's injury-free, of course, and also manages to re-kindle a good-natured rivalry between San Diego and San Jose. Big East bound or not, I still think SDSU, SJSU and Fresno State should always play each other... a CA "High Speed Rail Cup", if you will (or some other unique concoction). In terms of in-state match-ups, let's not allow USC-UCLA and Stanford-Cal always rule the day...

#59 No_dogs_down

No_dogs_down

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

I, too, think this will be a tight game and have SJSU prevailing 33-31. However, with all the "close call" predictions it's probably going to end up being a case of one team going away. I'm more wrong than I'm right ('tis why I don't bet), but would still lean towards the Spartans in that instance (my middle name isn't "homer," but wouldn't blame Aztec fans for thinking that).

I like the way the Spartans have protected the ball so far this year. Hard to argue the accuracy of QB David Fales (8th in the Nation in accuracy). He's not exactly dinking and dunking to everyone either, as SJSU has turned from begin a largely East-West passing team to more of a North-South passing team, which has been a most welcome development.

As good as SJSU's cadre of WR's have been (Grigsby, Jones and Carr), TE standout Ryan Otten has almost been a non factor (pass-catching, that is), which gives us hope that his ankle will soon be fully healed and he'll continue to be the dangerous target that he's been in year's past.

Am concerned about Senior Left Tackle David Quessenberry, though (ankle injury last weekend). He's been an anchor for the OL. Special teams have been good, if not great. I think SDSU likes to blitz, so if he's not ready then a lot of pressure could be put on his Freshman replacement (Wes Schweitzer).

On Special teams, punting has been solid and our Freshman PK has been perfect - at least until missing a PAT in the 2nd half last week. Not much in the return area, thought. It's almost as if (Safety, Kick Returer) Ronnie Yell has been instructed to fair-catch anything and everything that comes his way.

I don't know much about SDSU's O-Line, but the Spartan Travis tandem (Johnson and Raciti) are out two best pass rushers. The LB's have been solid, if not spectacular, anchored by Keith Smith, Vince Buhagiar and Derek Muuava.

The game should be entertaining. A high-scoring affair or not, I hope it's injury-free, of course, and also manages to re-kindle a good-natured rivalry between San Diego and San Jose. Big East bound or not, I still think SDSU, SJSU and Fresno State should always play each other... a CA "High Speed Rail Cup, if you will (or some other unique concoction). In terms of in-state match-ups, let's not allow USC-UCLA and Stanford-Cal always rule the day...

. I also believe that sjsu, sdsu and fsu should always play each other. The

#60 SDSU-Alum2003

SDSU-Alum2003

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Ill take SJSU by two touchdowns. I dont think SDSU will be able to run all that well against SJSU.

One thing I guarantee you SDSU will do is run the football well. No team we have played thus far has really stopped the triple threat rushing attack of Muema, Kazee and Katz. Our run defense on the other hand is very good. If our offense continues to play like they have, we can get pressure on the QB and our secondary actually shows up we will be very tough to beat.

#61 SpartaRick

SpartaRick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

It SHOULD be a great game-- barring unforeseen "flukey" developments.

QB's-- Katz the better runner. Fales the better passer.
RB's-- SDSU's Kazee and Muema (sp?) are better than SJSU's Eskridge and Ervin. Advantage SDSU.
WR's-- clear advantage to SJSU.
TE's-- Both teams are strong there. Both starting tight ends will play on Sundays.
OL-- SDSU's is better at opening holes for runners. SJSU's is better at protecting the passer.

DB's-- a bit marginal for both teams.
DL-- both are solid.
LB's-- the real strength of SJSU. Advantage Spartans.

Very slight advantage to SJSU with SDSU's home field advantage negating that. I am looking forward to the game.

#62 k5james

k5james

KYJames AKA Pompous SDSU Fan AKA Your Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

It SHOULD be a great game-- barring unforeseen "flukey" developments.

QB's-- Katz the better runner. Fales the better passer.
RB's-- SDSU's Kazee and Muema (sp?) are better than SJSU's Eskridge and Ervin. Advantage SDSU.
WR's-- clear advantage to SJSU.
TE's-- Both teams are strong there. Both starting tight ends will play on Sundays.
OL-- SDSU's is better at opening holes for runners. SJSU's is better at protecting the passer.

DB's-- a bit marginal for both teams.
DL-- both are solid.
LB's-- the real strength of SJSU. Advantage Spartans.

Very slight advantage to SJSU with SDSU's home field advantage negating that. I am looking forward to the game.

:lol:

False is a the better passer? Katz' passer rating says otherwise.

Clear advantage at WR? You've thrown the ball more as you can't run so they have more stats right now. There's nothing clear about it.

LBs are the strength of our defense as well.

#63 CPslograd

CPslograd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Fales is better than Katz.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM Mr. Lawrence?

#64 SCA

SCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

:lol:

False is a the better passer? Katz' passer rating says otherwise.

Clear advantage at WR? You've thrown the ball more as you can't run so they have more stats right now. There's nothing clear about it.

LBs are the strength of our defense as well.

Sorry.. but Fales is the better passer, and SJSU has probably the second best WR's on the west coast behind USC. Not putting down SDSU at all, I wish them nothing but the best except for this Saturday, but it is very clear most SDSU fans do not know much about SJSU. Its cool, cant say I know a bunch about SDSU... But Ive been looking at stuff. It will be a great game, but I think SJSU will come out on top on this one.

#65 CPslograd

CPslograd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

2nd best receiving corps on the West Coast?!!
Uh, no.

#66 The "V" Guy

The "V" Guy

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Damn... This should be a really good game. Im going with SJSU with the win though.

#67 CPslograd

CPslograd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Damn... This should be a really good game. Im going with SJSU with the win though.

I'm kinda geeked about it too. it's not on TV?

#68 Hoser

Hoser

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

I think this game is a pickem. Logic says give the Asstecs the edge and pull out a close win but for some reason I am going to go with the Spartans in this game. SJSU by 2 in a close hard fought game.

When you come to the end of your rope...tie a knot and hang on.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted Image

#69 SCA

SCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

2nd best receiving corps on the West Coast?!!
Uh, no.

Uh, yes. Do a little research if you dont believe me

#70 Aztec Since 88

Aztec Since 88

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

On TV locally in SD on channel KUSI 9/51.... Also, don't think SJSU wr's are second best on the west coast. Oregon and SC come to mind. They are solid but not second best.

#71 Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Who wins, and why?

I am rooting for the Aztecs, but it will be interesting to see. SJSU played Stanford closer than USC did, so we will see if that counts for anything in this game.

#72 crixus

crixus

Go Spartans!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Coming from a Fresno State fan, that's much appreciated. :)

SJSU by 4.
San Jose State has used the Spartans name since 1925, while Michigan State adopted it a year later.

#73 sancarlosaztec

sancarlosaztec

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Admittedly, I don't know much about this years SJSU team. I've read up a little this week, and their performance so far has been solid. Also, I respect the number of fans from other teams giving SJSU props. So, they are probably as advertised.

If it turns out to be a close game that might actually favor SJSU due to our lack of a kicking game. The oddsmakers put SDSU at -3.5 which is basically home field advantage plus a slight nod (.5) to the Aztecs.

As an Aztec fan I'm hoping for a surprise blow out on the part of my Aztecs. I'd like to see our team perform well on both sides of the ball for 60 minutes. The realist in me says this will probably be a very close game. SDSU will be challenged. It should be a good test for both teams.

I have to go with the homer call of 35 - 31 Aztecs.

#74 retrofade

retrofade

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Uh, yes. Do a little research if you dont believe me

I'll see Grigsby, Carr, and Jones and raise you Adams, Burse, and Harper/Dean. I can't think of a single other team in the MWC or WAC, or hell... even the Pac-12 that has the depth at receiver that we do. We've been without one of our best receivers all year, and will get him back just in time for SDSU to have to deal with him.

fresnostate2012sig.jpg

2012 MW Football Champions

2013 MW Football West Division Champions

2013 MW Football Champions

#75 retrofade

retrofade

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, and as far as game predictions go, I'm gonna say 28-21 Spartans.

fresnostate2012sig.jpg

2012 MW Football Champions

2013 MW Football West Division Champions

2013 MW Football Champions