Photo

ND to ACC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
354 replies to this topic

#26 Coog kev

Coog kev

Best of The Rest Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ya, I just seen that on espn online. My first reaction is that it's an indicator of what's coming in the new BE contract. Rights assignment. The ACC does not have rights assignment. Despite the fact that Dodds of Austin and Sawbrick (sp) of South Bend are good buds, Notre Dame aint goin to any league with rights assignment. I think it's an indicator of what's just around the corner.....

Posted Image

#27 mugtang

mugtang

Mr. Rogers of the MWCBoard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,893 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Also the ACC increased their exit fee to 3x annual revenue, which is about $50mil. So much for Florida State and Clemson to the Big12

thelawlorfaithful13, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater.

mb1CmK1.jpg

#28 flockofsmeagols

flockofsmeagols

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

there are reports that ND's rivalry priority list are Navy, USC, Stanford. "Midwest rivalries in jeopardy".
:mellow:

#29 pokerider

pokerider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Its what I expected from ND, they weren't going to stick around to play Temple and SMU etc. in the BE.
I'm surprised they would play more than 4 in football though. Pitt, BC, Cuse, Carolinas and a Florida St or Miami instead of USF and UCF. I never thought they would go to the B12. This also gives the ACC better leverage.

I still don't expect the B12 to do anything soon. they likely would still want 1-2 ACC schools in the future though.

#30 Boise fan

Boise fan

"Bronco Shakespeare"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Ya, I just seen that on espn online. My first reaction is that it's an indicator of what's coming in the new BE contract. Rights assignment. The ACC does not have rights assignment. Despite the fact that Dodds of Austin and Sawbrick (sp) of South Bend are good buds, Notre Dame aint goin to any league with rights assignment. I think it's an indicator of what's just around the corner.....

That's an interesting perspective. I'd wondered if a grant of rights would happen with the BE. Didn't see it being agreeable to a few who are still hoping to be picked last at the dance.

But it would be the best thing for the conference - give it stability, finally.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

#31 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I don't think so. The Big East is now the second best basketball conference in the country. Temple, Memphis, Louisville, UCONN, and Cincinatti are 5 of the top teams, the Catholic schools need them. A split would surprise me.

I don't even think you can say they are clear cut second best anymore...out of teams you have listed only Louisville and UCONN would be considered elite at this point.

Memphis has a chance but since cal left they haven't been lighting world on fire.

From article I read it said part of reason Notre dame left was because it didn't want to be associated with new members.

#32 fbguru

fbguru

We will be invincible

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

I don't see how this effects the B12 at all.

If anything, it keeps the Big XII from making any move for the next few years.

http://www.theacc.co.../091212aaa.html

The release says there is now a $50 million exit fee for the ACC.

We know the Big East schools are chomping at the bit to go to the Big XII, and that BYU is interested if the correct guarantee is in place (written Sunday play exemption).

So why would Big XII feel any panic or hurry to expand because of this? Better to wait and see what the changed landscape means for them.

The only thing that should worry the Big XII is if the Big East signs a decent TV deal that includes an almost impossibility of leaving the conference. Even then, a school in the Big East would probably accept the death penalty for all sports for a year if it meant an invite to the Big XII at this point.

#33 HR_Poke

HR_Poke

SGF Cultural Nemesis.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

That's an interesting perspective. I'd wondered if a grant of rights would happen with the BE. Didn't see it being agreeable to a few who are still hoping to be picked last at the dance.

I would think Boise would adamantly oppose the grant of rights deal.

#34 Coog kev

Coog kev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Well, we'll see if that really comes to fruition but methinks it's pointing that direction. Hefty exit fees and withdrawal timetables in any given conference are one thing (and negotiable - see Pitt & Syracuse). But rights assignments are heavily restrictive, long term and tied to the TV contact, and the direct opposite of flexibility. Notre Dame loves its flexiblity. Sooo..given that rights assignment could be on the table, I'm thinking the BE contract has some decent coin attached to it. If it takes Notre Dame's exit to land all that mess...bye Irish.

Posted Image

#35 k5james

k5james

KYJames AKA Pompous SDSU Fan AKA Your Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,816 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I would hope SDSU would as well.

#36 Boise fan

Boise fan

"Bronco Shakespeare"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Why? If it brings stability to the conference, it would be good. And they already have clauses to bow out of the current deal if necessary.

#37 doubleupnv

doubleupnv

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I doubt this will start another round of shuffling on the FB side. ND FB will remain indy. They don't want to join anybody or they would have already. Doubt ACC will invite UConn either.

Does the BE take a hit? Sure. And the timing is a real slap in the face. But there you have it. Some of you will no doubt be elated.

Why?

#38 HR_Poke

HR_Poke

SGF Cultural Nemesis.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Why? If it brings stability to the conference, it would be good. And they already have clauses to bow out of the current deal if necessary.

Then the BE becomes a long term stopping point for Boise. I thought the plan was to move to the Big 12 or Pac 12?

#39 HR_Poke

HR_Poke

SGF Cultural Nemesis.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Houston and Louisville would probably appose it as well.

#40 Boise fan

Boise fan

"Bronco Shakespeare"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

Then the BE becomes a long term stopping point for Boise. I thought the plan was to move to the Big 12 or Pac 12?

That's just wild conjecture and speculation. Realistically, Boise isn't a PAC target in the next decade, nor a Big 12 target. But who knows the real story of how things played out between university presidents?

Kustra seems to want a conference with more stability. If a grant of rights for half a decade or more brings that to a lineup he likes with enough $$$ to meet the goals of the school, why not?

I'm sure they'll have out clauses like they did for joining the BE.

#41 WyomingCoog

WyomingCoog

"We got outfought," San Diego State coach Steve Fisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

SDSU will just oppose whatever its daddy tells them to oppose.....

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

#42 Coog kev

Coog kev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

OTOH, Notre Dame could already have a 'whisper' number on the new BE contract and figured out that as the sole non-football member of ACC, it can negotiate whatever deal it wants there. It won't have to share anything with its non-football brethern in BE. Notre Dame is already a department of one with NBC football. Now it's a department of one in ACC hoops et al. I suppose it could all go either way. Gun to my head, I'm picking heavy restriction on the new BE contract all the way up to rights assignment. And I'm betting you will never see rights assignment in ACC.

Posted Image

#43 Boise fan

Boise fan

"Bronco Shakespeare"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Why?

I guess you haven't been lurking enough since joining in 2010. There are a number of members here that would love to see the BE fail. Go back through the threads of the past year -it would become readily apparent.

#44 HR_Poke

HR_Poke

SGF Cultural Nemesis.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,387 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

That's just wild conjecture and speculation. Realistically, Boise isn't a PAC target in the next decade, nor a Big 12 target. But who knows the real story of how things played out between university presidents?

Kustra seems to want a conference with more stability. If a grant of rights for half a decade or more brings that to a lineup he likes with enough $$$ to meet the goals of the school, why not?

I'm sure they'll have out clauses like they did for joining the BE.

I guess that's what I get for reading mysfits posts...... I would think a re-orged western based conference would be more stable, but who knows if the money would ever be there to make it stable.

#45 westfan

westfan

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

I doubt this will start another round of shuffling on the FB side. ND FB will remain indy. They don't want to join anybody or they would have already. Doubt ACC will invite UConn either.

Does the BE take a hit? Sure. And the timing is a real slap in the face. But there you have it. Some of you will no doubt be elated.

Elated? Hardly, but curious from a business standpoint since the tv contract is up for renewal. My guess is the tv value for basketball was worth more to ESPN with ND, who knows the impact? FWIW I still think the Big East gets a decent contract because it will probably be a bidding duel between NBCsports and ESPN that will drive the value up.

#46 k5james

k5james

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,816 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

SDSU will just oppose whatever its daddy tells them to oppose.....

SDSU IS daddy.

#47 k5james

k5james

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,816 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

My initial reaction was that ESPN doesn't like the numbers the BE is talking so they're grabbing some of their content now on the cheap.

#48 UTAlrightGuy

UTAlrightGuy

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

This is good news. This will shorten the Big 12 options. Now the Big 12 seemingly won't be able to poach the ACC or get ND. So the programs that actually can add money to the Big 12 coffers becomes a short or non-existent list. So if the Big 12s media deal doesn't look like it will keep pace during the next negotiation period, the Texas 4 will bolt as they can't bring anybody worth while in. Look for major movement in 2025.

I just dont see Texas and Oklahoma sitting back especially if the other conference get media contracts that the Big 12 doesn't get. And a conference of schools in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, 2nd tier Iowa school and good but small population in West Virginia doesn't compare to the hugely populated SEC ACC PAC-12 and Big Ten. Not exactly sure how they got the contract his time, but props to the Big 12 for Getting it. I just don't see it holding long term, but I may be wrong. Have been before.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

#49 1IvyDog

1IvyDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

If I was the Big XII I would add Louisville and stay at 11. It would strengthen Basketball and enter SEC territory. Play 8 league games, protect 1 rivalry game and skip2 teams each year. After the new NC is in effect for a while then make your changes.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

#50 FresnoStateBulldogFan

FresnoStateBulldogFan

Official Fresno St. Homer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

no big surprise there. thought they might go Big 12 though.

Simply put the BE is the old grey mare

now that ND is off the table the Big 12 can decide and move forward with or without Louisville and team X

If this happens and UL is gonzo you'd almost have to ask if SDSU and BSU still make the jump?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

B..U..L..L..D..O..G..S!! GO DOGS GO!! FIGHT DOGS FIGHT!! GOOOO DOGS!!!!

RIP COACH SWEENEY!

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I am going to be a Bulldog til the day I'm dead!

"I've got that Bulldog spirit down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart.
I've got that Bulldog spirit down in my heart, down in my heart to stay!" - Sung by Jim Sweeney

Fresno State 35
Assticks 28