Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrBulldog

So how should our next tv contract look?

Do we go for money? Or do we go for coverage?

One strategy would be to maximize the $$$$ by allowing the network to do what they want. That is kind of what happened with the current contract and caused great problems with membership.

Another strategy would be to maximize exposure, but limit contract length, thus banking on exposure to really get our product out and then maximize $$$ on the next contract.

Do we try to develop a network ala PAC12/Big10? One of the complaints regarding the PAC 12 is that some fans are having trouble getting it, due to so far only one satellite (DISH) carrying it.

If we are not exclusive, we don't maximize the money but at this point it seems to me that while $$$$ is important, perhaps the most strategic thing we can do is maximize exposure. Obviously if we went the direction of our own network, we would want to own, but that takes a lot of $$$$$$.

If we go the max exposure route perhaps we can "share revenue" instead of sell the product. That way if the conference has a better product we share better revenues and make the product available to many platforms/delivery channels.

Your opinions?

I like the use of regional networks, ala TWS for UNLV, Fresno State and San Diego State, as long as you can good coverage throughout those states. One Tuesday or Thursday (No Wednesday or Friday games) game per is fine. Other than that maximize the money.

Building towards a network would be nice, but I'm not sure it could support itself.

1) Don't let the University Presidinks or the Hair negotiate the deal, hire a media guru who knows what he/she is doing

2) The MWC needs to concentrate on home market saturation. It's never made sense to me that regional oriented teams spread themselves out on 3rd tier networks just so they can claim some kind of national coverage. It means that 95% of their fanbase has to pay through the nose for expensive cable/sat packages, so that 5% of the fanbase can see the games

3) Internet streaming IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gives the aforementioned 5% the opportunity to see the games as well as other individuals who might be curious about the conference's teams but don't want to spend the money to get some obscure network.

Big fan of baseball movies. 8 men out, field of dreams etc however I agree that this is my fav.

Bull Durham is another good one. 8 men out is my favorite non comedy one, Shoeless Joe Jackson is still to this day one of my favorite players because of that movie.

1) Don't let the University Presidinks or the Hair negotiate the deal, hire a media guru who knows what he/she is doing

2) The MWC needs to concentrate on home market saturation. It's never made sense to me that regional oriented teams spread themselves out on 3rd tier networks just so they can claim some kind of national coverage. It means that 95% of their fanbase has to pay through the nose for expensive cable/sat packages, so that 5% of the fanbase can see the games

3) Internet streaming IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gives the aforementioned 5% the opportunity to see the games as well as other individuals who might be curious about the conference's teams but don't want to spend the money to get some obscure network.

You probably should have quit after number 1...unless you're that 'media guru' that knows what he's doing. Not that I disagree necessarily with 2 and 3...but adding them as you did made me laugh after your 'leave it to the experts' admonition in number 1. Good thoughts otherwise!