Photo

UNLV Football

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 UNLVFan90

UNLVFan90

Biased UNLV Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

It's pretty obvious what I'm posting about right now, our crappy football program. I was pleased with this team until Herring faked that FG and could've run for the first down, but instead reminded us why he is not our QB anymore. Our OL is horrible and it seems like Sherry always has a rusher in his face when he's throwing the ball. Our DB's couldn't tackle anything. After the Lumberjacks kicked the field goal to win the game, I had never felt so hopeless about this team. When I went to bed that night I was debating whether or not we should fire Hauck. After an hour of thinking I thought it would be best for us and him if we fire Hauck. Then I thought of coaches who could bring this program to glory and immediately Bobby Petrino came into my head. He managed to help a sorry Louisville team and a struggling Arkansas team to BCS bowls in only a few years. Why can't he do that here? In order to get him we need to SPEND MONEY. In order to be successful you need to sacrifice a few extra bucks. Please, Livengood, fire Bobby Hauck and give Bobby Petrino a huge salary to help this horrible football program.

#2 CockyUNLVPoster

CockyUNLVPoster

SuperUser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have tickets for the Friday night game. I honestly can't decide if I'm going to go or watch it on tv. I don't know what will be worse, watching the rebels get humiliated on National TV or witnessing it first hand. I'm not sure if these kids have anything left to give. I think they are as frustrated as we are and they may have given up on Hauck too. It's frustrating. A new OC and DC this year and we get the same results as the old staff.

#3 MWCWOLFPACK

MWCWOLFPACK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Have a fresh start. Get rid of everyone. Hire a new HC, OC and DC. I think SMU did that few years ago.

#4 Loboblast

Loboblast

You can call me BLAST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Have a fresh start. Get rid of everyone. Hire a new HC, OC and DC. I think SMU did that few years ago.

SMU shelled out a $1MM for their coach.

UNM tried to get Leach but the difference was apperantely 600K which what he is making more at Washington St. So we settled for Davie.

Until UNLV pays a coach around 800-900K they'll continue to get an unknown.

lfbmockhelmets.jpg

#5 Rev McQuervo

Rev McQuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Shame- good talent in the region, a program with a good budget, stadium (albeit in the middle of the sand storm) and actually what is generally referred to as a "Good" coach (currently). Whats missing=players.

Hope you get it turned around.

#6 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have tickets for the Friday night game. I honestly can't decide if I'm going to go or watch it on tv. I don't know what will be worse, watching the rebels get humiliated on National TV or witnessing it first hand. I'm not sure if these kids have anything left to give. I think they are as frustrated as we are and they may have given up on Hauck too. It's frustrating. A new OC and DC this year and we get the same results as the old staff.

When you promote an OC from inside of the staff i dont consider that much of a change...plus the fact the old OC didnt even get fired.

was all smoke and mirrors...nothing changed from last year except new guy calling in same ole bs.

#7 Wyovanian

Wyovanian

Kurtz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image
"She's a sad tomato..."- REM Crush With Eyeliner

"You're not in my class... you never will be. You'd have to die first and be born again." -James Averill (Kris Kristofferson), Heaven's Gate

#8 PackAlum97

PackAlum97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

UNM tried to get Leach but the difference was apperantely 600K which what he is making more at Washington St. So we settled for Davie.

Until UNLV pays a coach around 800-900K they'll continue to get an unknown.

I think Davie was a great hire for UNM. He knows how to recruit, he'll run a clean program, and is well respected. IMO, he'll need at least 3 or 4 years to turn things around.

How long is his contract?

#9 Loboblast

Loboblast

You can call me BLAST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

I think Davie was a great hire for UNM. He knows how to recruit, he'll run a clean program, and well respected. IMO, he'll need at least 3 or 4 years to turn things around.

How long is his contract?

5 years I think.

lfbmockhelmets.jpg

#10 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

5 years I think.

The old 5 year myth...you will know within first 2 years if he is right guy or not.

#11 Warbow

Warbow

Washed-up Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,185 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

UNLV needs a coach who will run a spread type of offense like they do at Navy, Army and Air Force. Or the Run and Shoot. These types of offenses needs minimun talent to be successful.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

#12 Rev McQuervo

Rev McQuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Rocky made gold out of manure in NM for a decade. It can be done in Lower Nevada.

#13 loboman59

loboman59

a New Beginning!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

I say go to the game and show your support for the kids... they at least deserve that don't you think?
"Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you have not planted"
[David Bly]

#14 sdsuphilip1

sdsuphilip1

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Shame- good talent in the region, a program with a good budget, stadium (albeit in the middle of the sand storm) and actually what is generally referred to as a "Good" coach (currently). Whats missing=players.

Hope you get it turned around.

Hauck is far from a good coach.

#15 SDSUStoner

SDSUStoner

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

D'oh!

I thought this was an oxymoron thread based on its title.

#16 Loboblast

Loboblast

You can call me BLAST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,528 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

At this point it seems the only difference between Hauck and Locks is the punches and azz pinches to assistants.

Recruiting too.

lfbmockhelmets.jpg

#17 Fowl

Fowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

UNLV needs a coach who will run a spread type of offense like they do at Navy, Army and Air Force. Or the Run and Shoot. These types of offenses needs minimun talent to be successful.

Exhibit Z as to your football knowledge.

#18 masterfrog

masterfrog

Improvement Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

When I was in college we ran a version of the run and shoot and it requires really smart receivers. They are basically picking their own patterns based on the way the defense covers them. It is hard on the quarterback and the receivers. Maybe a little easier on the line as they just have to pass block for a couple of seconds. But after watching UNLV's line the first two games, that might still be a tall order this year.
Posted Image

#19 Warbow

Warbow

Washed-up Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,185 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

I guess you're saying that UNLV already runs this type of offense?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

#20 SleepingGiantsFan

SleepingGiantsFan

King of the World poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,520 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

Actually, the school is paying June Jones $1.3M and he's receiving an additional $1M from Craig James, Eric Dickerson and two other wealthy alumni.

rebs702 is correct that 5-year guaranteed contracts are a mistake unless you're hiring one of the top dozen or so coaches in the country. Two years is plenty of time to know whether the guy is moving the program in a positive direction so anything beyond that should come with a buyout provision. I still won't criticize UNLV for hiring Hoke since he was worth the risk at the limited money he was willing to work for. However, most of us thought at the time the extension was foolhearty and he's done next to nothing to disprove it.

Also, I agree with the poster who encouraged fans to still turn out. Maybe Hauck no longer deserves the support but the players do.
Boom goes the dynamite.

#21 SharkTanked

SharkTanked

Rebel without a clue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,852 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

We just need to get the football players to stop hanging out here before the games:

Posted Image

#22 runandgunner

runandgunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

+1...jj may be looking for a new gig.....
STFU, I am trying to troll here...

#23 Rev McQuervo

Rev McQuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hauck is far from a good coach.

So says you. Funny a NC coach really endorses Hauck. Course Phillip, what he know.... :rolleyes:

#24 bsrebs702

bsrebs702

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

So says you. Funny a NC coach really endorses Hauck. Course Phillip, what he know.... :rolleyes:

So because a coach says he is good then he is? His record has proven otherwise.