Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

ESPN on merger

"For its part, C-USA is prepared to welcome in Texas-San Antonio ahead of a planned merger with the Mountain West Conference.

That proposed move would create a new league with up to 24 schools."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7879241/unc-charlotte-49ers-decline-offer-sun-belt-conference-source-says

I think the 24 schools have already been picked. time to set up pods

"For its part, C-USA is prepared to welcome in Texas-San Antonio ahead of a planned merger with the Mountain West Conference.

Maybe so, we will be finding out soon enough.

I could try to find it, but there are a lot of these over there. Could you post the link to the one you are talking about? TY

Maybe the schools are being invited to CUSA because we are all about to be playing football under the CUSA banner. 24 for football 4 six school pods..

Both conferences remain separate for all other sports...hmmmm..

You also have to remember that CBSSports reported this earlier

"

C-USA and the Mountain West originally were going to merge into one league, but there were too many legal obstacles and that will no longer happen, sources said. Instead, C-USA will increase to 14 members and the Mountain West will be at 10 members by adding Utah State and San Jose State in 2013, CBSSports.com reported last week.

Even though C-USA and the MWC will remain separate leagues, they continue to work together on a plan to share scheduling, television and marketing resources."

So which media source (ESPN or CBS) is correct??

"

C-USA and the Mountain West originally were going to merge into one league, but there were too many legal obstacles and that will no longer happen, sources said. Instead, C-USA will increase to 14 members and the Mountain West will be at 10 members by adding Utah State and San Jose State in 2013, CBSSports.com reported last week.

Even though C-USA and the MWC will remain separate leagues, they continue to work together on a plan to share scheduling, television and marketing resources."

Lord knows. And everything might have changed based on what they learned from the BCS meeting the days before. I tend to trust the new reports just as more info was learned about the new postseason but who knows. If a merger I don't expect to see it until 2014 anyway.

"

+1 really confusing and neither league has NOT attempt to clear anything up!

Maybe tv can be renogiated under CUSA banner and we keep ncaa creds.

crossed my mind that in 2014 MWC just merges into CUSA

Working together is fine, but the best part of the quote is that they'll remain seperate leagues. :)

No offense but Andy Katz?

Brian Murphy knows more about what's going on and he's just a beat writer.

yea but a UNCC source, New invitees would know future league plans

Working together is fine, but the best part of the quote is that they'll remain seperate leagues. :)

sort of depends on who we have to invite to get to 12 now doesn't it.

sort of depends on who we have to invite to get to 12 now doesn't it.

No. I think it's best that they do not merge.

yea but a UNCC source, New invitees would know future league plans

Could be and I wish you guys well. Just saying most others say the merger is dead. NY Times, Washington Post, Other ESPN reporters, CBS, the local media in MW markets, and so on.

To me it looks like C-USA said goodbye.

Could be and I wish you guys well. Just saying most others say the merger is dead. NY Times, Washington Post, Other ESPN reporters, CBS, the local media in MW markets, and so on.

To me it looks like C-USA said goodbye.

well there was this from Hawaii right after the CBS report (which is where most of what you allude to came from not original sources)

http://www.staradver...ml?id=147853305

point is the media is all over on this one.

I don't think any of us know where this stands right now and see it different ways based on personal bias

+1. Glad the new Spartan crowd has some logical fans. Welcome to the conference.

Ok, USU fans are reporting a presser this Friday (rumor). Others have Friday as well. Given this, the merger is still on and we are still working together. Just guessing here. My guess...

2013 (11 each side)

Hawaii

SJSU

FS

NV

UNLV

USU

WYO

CSt

AF

NM

UTEP

RICE

UTSA

UNT

Tulane

UAB

USM

Marshall

ECU

FIU

La Tech

Tulsa

East v. West Championship

2014 (4-6 team pods)

Hawaii

SJSU

FS

NV

UNLV

USU

WYO

CSt

AF

NM

UTEP

UTSA

RICE

UNT

Tulane

La Tech

UAB

Tulsa

USM

Marshall

ECU

FIU

UNCC

ODU

Write this down. Reddog told you! This is why we are seeing all the adds to CUSA side. The plan does not call for any more adds from the MWC side as UTEP slides over in 2013 and UTSA in 2014.